PDA

View Full Version : Soy is good at all? for building muscle or trying to grow tall?

Lax17Lax
01-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Ive read a lot of conflicting research about soy, Whats the truth???

Im trying to grow taller and have been using soy, not as a main source but it is relied on, as a source of protein (both for trying to reach my desired protein intake as well as me reading about how soybeans supposedly help your growth)

well im 15, still waiting for that growth spurt but trying to have everything right so that when I finally get it then its potential is maximized, I try to eat vegetables and fruits and eat "healthy" you could say instead of eating crap, but recently I read that the Soy I have been relying on may not be helping my height but possibly stunting it since it has "PhytoEstrogens" which minimize your body's ability to absorb certain elements such as calcium, zinc, etc. and this instantly told me that if this is true then the soy I have been eating may be stopping my growth instead of maximizing it. This information was conflicting with what I had earlier thought to be true so I wanted to ask the community to find truth!

This is a very general topic so Id like to narrow it down even more to the questions id like to know most:

-Does soy help, talking both about growing taller and building muscle? and if not, should I just completely try to eliminate it from my diet the best I can
-what are some ideas for replacement sources of protein which can help maximize my height potentials?
And what are foods or supplements even that I could take to ensure my growth potentials are at their fullest

Its still a broad topic, but I just want to be educated now, so the decisions I make later will be the most beneficial, any help is greatly appreciated

DavidUnderhand
01-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Youre 5'7 at 15, you're doing fine. Not that my claim here is backed by any absolute facts, but I'm pretty confident in saying soy will NOT help you grow taller. Genetics play quite the role in height. I was 6'0 at 13, and was projected to become huge. I'm now 6'0 at 19. I realize that sounds discouraging but the point is genetics (and quasi-legal methods) will determine your future growth, not phytoestrogen intake. Enjoy life, you're lower to the ground right now, deadlifts should treat you nicely :)

theerun
01-06-2014, 04:41 PM
I think height is mainly genetic, barring obvious things like malnutrition and smoking, so eating or not eating one food is unlikely to affect anything. As long as you eat enough (and enough variety) and exercise you should hit your genetic potential.

sitsonCHROME
01-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Pretty sure you can only do things that will stunt your growth, not the other way around. Theres nothing wrong with reasonable amounts of soy but its not going to make you grow taller. You are destined to grow as tall as your genetics have decided and thats just the way it is. I dont know just how much soy youve been taking because you can have too much (like with anything) but a reasonable amount of soy will not have any negitive effects in fact it will have positive effects lowering your chances of numerous conditions and so on. A lot of the anti soy stuff out there is funded by the dairy industry and if you look deep into most if not all the studies you can see they are bias and what i would describe as a disgrace to science.

Thats my opinion on soy. I drink soy milk every day (200ml) but i also get tons of other sources of protein (dairy, meat, protein powder, lentils, beans etc). BUT i dont buy it from the store. I buy organic soy beans and make the milk myself at home.

MrBillson
01-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Just eat a balanced diet and take regular exercise. When your parents make dinner be sure to ask for seconds.

meschc4
01-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Just be sure to eat a lot and lift heavy.

Guys can also reach puberty later and have growth spurts later than at your age OP.

Mdenatale
01-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Ive read a lot of conflicting research about soy, Whats the truth???

Im trying to grow taller and have been using soy, not as a main source but it is relied on, as a source of protein (both for trying to reach my desired protein intake as well as me reading about how soybeans supposedly help your growth)

well im 15, still waiting for that growth spurt but trying to have everything right so that when I finally get it then its potential is maximized, I try to eat vegetables and fruits and eat "healthy" you could say instead of eating crap, but recently I read that the Soy I have been relying on may not be helping my height but possibly stunting it since it has "PhytoEstrogens" which minimize your body's ability to absorb certain elements such as calcium, zinc, etc. and this instantly told me that if this is true then the soy I have been eating may be stopping my growth instead of maximizing it. This information was conflicting with what I had earlier thought to be true so I wanted to ask the community to find truth!

This is a very general topic so Id like to narrow it down even more to the questions id like to know most:

-Does soy help, talking both about growing taller and building muscle? and if not, should I just completely try to eliminate it from my diet the best I can
-what are some ideas for replacement sources of protein which can help maximize my height potentials?
And what are foods or supplements even that I could take to ensure my growth potentials are at their fullest

Its still a broad topic, but I just want to be educated now, so the decisions I make later will be the most beneficial, any help is greatly appreciated

Height is all genetics. If you want a good idea of how tall you might get look at your parents and maybe your aunts and uncles. How tall are they? You can expect to be in the same range as them.