PDA

View Full Version : Skinny guy on the bulk

Jaydee8
01-06-2014, 03:03 AM
Hi,

I am an ectomorph hard-gainer and I've just started a bulking diet. I am 72 Kgs and 6ft! I always struggle to put weight/muscle on.

I've used the Harris-Benedict equation and added 500 extra calories. Here are my target macros:

Cal 3200
Carb g 400
Prot g 180
Fat g 106

I've come up with a diet and this is what I achieve:

Cal 2695
Carb g 374
Prot g 231.5 (This is less on non-workout days)
Fat g 57

Has anyone got advice on extra fat sources (with 0 prot) as snacks. I only need 50g. I feel ridiculously full throughout the whole day so only want something small. I am also snacking through the whole day so I've got to sneak this in somewhere. I also have a fat source snack at night (milkshake and yoghurt).

Also, is my protein intake too high on workout days?

Cheers.

MrBillson
01-06-2014, 03:05 AM
Why have you added a load of protein and subtracted a load of fat?

What's the point in calculating your macros if you're just going to ignore the numbers you calculated?

And why are you eating more protein on training days?

Jaydee8
01-06-2014, 03:12 AM
I didn't intentionally. I came up with a diet based on recommended foods and meals and have just totalled it now.

I now need to rejuggle it to balance it out. If i had 50g of fat I get my calories spot on. But if I take protein off I will need to rebalance it again somewhere else.

So thats why I asked if 50g of protein is too much above the worked out protein amount? Is it a massive concern if I go over the protein?

I have more protein on workout days for post workout.

necon76
01-06-2014, 03:17 AM
Why do you think you need so much protein? 1g/lb is more than sufficient. And being deficient in fats will do you harm long term.

Jaydee8
01-06-2014, 03:22 AM
I don't think I do, I have unintentionally got higher protein in the diet I have come up with.

So you've answered my question that my protein is definately too high? Does this also do harm long term?

I have a protein smoothie in between breakfast and lunch, so I can take this out.

necon76
01-06-2014, 03:39 AM
I don't think I do, I have unintentionally got higher protein in the diet I have come up with.

So you've answered my question that my protein is definately too high? Does this also do harm long term?

I have a protein smoothie in between breakfast and lunch, so I can take this out.

It's not too high, just unnecessarily so. Especially if it's preventing you from meeting your fat requirements.

And no, in healthy individuals a high protein diet isn't harmful.

MikeTheBiceps
01-06-2014, 03:43 AM
dude eat penut butter (natural) or other nut sources, easy way to up your fats and cals. By the way if you macro is 3200 cals on a bulk your not an ectomorph

Ago
01-06-2014, 03:44 AM
If i calc your calories based on nutrients @ "bulking diet" - i get 2935 calories (not 2.6k). Drink milk (consume more dairy products in general) & eat fatter meats for dat der extra fat in your meals. Keep your protein constant, cause your body wont absorb it with-in 2hours after you eat. For example, when it comes to meat, it can digest for up to 48h.

necon76
01-06-2014, 03:45 AM
dude eat penut butter (natural) or other nut sources, easy way to up your fats and cals. By the way if you macro is 3200 cals on a bulk your not an ectomorph

If he's a real human being he's not an ectomorph.

Jaydee8
01-06-2014, 03:58 AM
If i calc your calories based on nutrients @ "bulking diet" - i get 2935 calories (not 2.6k). Drink milk (consume more dairy products in general) & eat fatter meats for dat der extra fat in your meals. Keep your protein constant, cause your body wont absorb it with-in 2hours after you eat. For example, when it comes to meat, it can digest for up to 48h.

Hmmmm I will recalculate this again then. I am getting the nutrients from nutritiondata.com

I am taking out the protein smoothie on workout days, so my protein should now be fairly constant throughout the week.

Will add a milk based drink instead.

MrBillson
01-06-2014, 03:58 AM
I didn't intentionally. I came up with a diet based on recommended foods and meals and have just totalled it now.

I now need to rejuggle it to balance it out. If i had 50g of fat I get my calories spot on. But if I take protein off I will need to rebalance it again somewhere else.

So thats why I asked if 50g of protein is too much above the worked out protein amount? Is it a massive concern if I go over the protein?

I have more protein on workout days for post workout.

Recommended by whom?

Jaydee8
01-06-2014, 04:11 AM
Recommended by whom?

Why does this matter? Various research using sample diets via google and mates that regularly eat healthy and bulk.

MrBillson
01-06-2014, 04:13 AM
Why does this matter? Various research using sample diets via google and mates that regularly eat healthy and bulk.

Anyone telling you that you should eat certain foods and avoid others is wrong.

necon76
01-06-2014, 04:14 AM

It totally matters. There are a lot of retards giving awful advice in the fitness industry.

Jaydee8
01-06-2014, 04:14 AM
Anyone telling you that you should eat certain foods and avoid others is wrong.

You think I should not avoid fast food?

MrBillson
01-06-2014, 04:19 AM
You think I should not avoid fast food?

I bet you're consuming protein powder.

Is that not fast food?

Jaydee8
01-06-2014, 04:19 AM
It totally matters. There are a lot of retards giving awful advice in the fitness industry.

I am fairly convinced the types of food I am eating are healthy and correct. My question was about protein intake and extra (healthy) sources of fat to boost the fat intake and up the calories.

I'll be adding peanut butter and nuts mainly but extra milk is boosting protein.

MrBillson
01-06-2014, 04:22 AM
I am fairly convinced the types of food I am eating are healthy and correct. My question was about protein intake and extra (healthy) sources of fat to boost the fat intake and up the calories.

I'll be adding peanut butter and nuts mainly but extra milk is boosting protein.

No one food is correct or incorrect. You need to think in regards of improving the entire context of your diet, rather than arbitrarily restricted certain foods because of what they are called. There's pretty much no food you can't add into a healthy diet assuming moderation and common sense is in place.

Also there's only one source of unhealthy fat and that's trans fat.

coryallen30
01-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Avocado? Olive oil? Add 2-3 tbsp of olive oil to your meals and you could be set. It's 14 grams of fat, no protein.

Though I don't think extra protein hurts. You just pee it out.

Robster81
01-06-2014, 09:43 AM
More fat?

Peanut butter and whole milk

MetilHed
01-06-2014, 09:47 AM

So are nuts and nut butters. Derp.

Jaydee8
01-07-2014, 01:24 AM
Avocado? Olive oil? Add 2-3 tbsp of olive oil to your meals and you could be set. It's 14 grams of fat, no protein.

Though I don't think extra protein hurts. You just pee it out.

The olive oil will be perfect and gets me that last bit of fat. Thanks!

GrowMacGrow
01-07-2014, 03:08 AM
Why do you think you need so much protein? 1g/lb is more than sufficient. And being deficient in fats will do you harm long term.

Just to back this up;

The true ratio for the recommended protein intake is about 0.8-1g per KG of bodyweight. Exceeding this will not contribute to bigger gains, increased strength or fat loss.

You can go by that protein ratio if you want to as it is calories in/out at the end of the day, but it will rack up a hfty bill for you if you eat and buy that amount of protein on a daily basis.