PDA

View Full Version : How much protein in a whole chicken?

McNutty1
01-03-2014, 11:27 AM
I bought a whole chicken recently. According to the label, it was 5.34 lbs and 21G of protein per 4 oz. How much protein is that for the whole chicken after I cook it? Does the weight of the whole chicken include the bones, if so how much do the bones typically weigh?

ironwill2008
01-03-2014, 11:54 AM
I bought a whole chicken recently. According to the label, it was 5.34 lbs and 21G of protein per 4 oz. How much protein is that for the whole chicken after I cook it? Does the weight of the whole chicken include the bones, if so how much do the bones typically weigh?

There is no 'typical' bone weight. If you want to know the answers to your questions, strip off all the meat and weigh it.

kenny85
01-03-2014, 11:56 AM
There is no 'typical' bone weight. If you want to know the answers to your questions, strip off all the meat and weigh it.

This. 21g protein per 4oz, just need a scale and a calculator

cls91
01-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Different parts of the chicken have different amount of protein per gram.

The proper way to measure would be to split the chicken into thighs/breast/etc. and measure each individually.

The 21g per 4oz given on the package could be an average though, in which case weighing just the meat (all of it) and using those numbers will be close enough.