PDA

View Full Version : Confused about ULC or not for leaning up?

dseaman
12-31-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm confused about the optimal way to get lean (around 18% BF now, want to get to about 10%). In one Men's Fitness article (Dec 2013) they have a 8 weeks abs plan to get you down to 7% BF. That "diet" contains a lot of carbs (200-260g/day), and very high protein (270+g/day). Yet in another Men's Fitness article from 2012 they have an ULC recommendation with 30g/day and to use the Carbnite diet (ULC most days, then one super high carb nite every 10 days or so). Amazon review of Carbnite are actually pretty good. My boss also went on a ULC diet (no idea which one), and lost a lot of weight.

Personally I love carbs, so the 7% BF plan sounds way more appealing to me. But I can also see some logic in the ULC/Carbnite plan as well. What's the consensus on the best way to lose weight and keep my muscle.

I used the Total Metabolism Forecaster and given my current state and goals it recommends 2273 calories, 182g Protein, 159g Carbs, 101g Fats. The fat ratio there seems quite high. Protein seems about right for my weight (182 lbs). So I'm puzzled about the 'best' macro formula to basically cut my BF in half over the next 8-10 weeks (182 lbs to 169).

Thoughts?

slimsta00018
12-31-2013, 06:23 PM
Well I mean to put it simply 2273 calories sounds like you will be cutting about 500-600 calories from your diet. I am getting pretty spot on with this stuff btw not to be a big head. Ok so you should be good just make sure to get 1-1.5g protein per lb of lbm and get .45g of fat per lb of lbm. Other than that it doesn't matter. Eat as much whole foods as possible and healthy choices and workout. Keep it simple man. That's my New Year's Resolution by the way. Keep it simple. You should be able to lean out in a pretty decent amount of time to where you want to be, but if you want to go a little faster try a 2000 calorie a day diet. Trust me you won't die or go into starvation mode.

dseaman
12-31-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Daily expenditure per the TMF calculator is 3105, so a deficit of 832. That's counting my cardio and lifting. Desired fat loss was about 1.5 lbs a week.

slimsta00018
12-31-2013, 06:40 PM
You sound good brah! Keep it going. You got the idea. Man keep the exercising going as well man and you will see that body fat just melt off man. Good luck and HAPPY EARLY NEW YEARS! You have nothing to worry about or be confused about. One last thing though. Those diets in those magazines or sites don't listen to them. Stick to your requirements. 1-1.5g protein per lb of lbm / and .45g fat per lb of lbm split the rest up to your liking. I like that you appreciate advice though. Repped. Keep it up bro.