PDA

View Full Version : Macro help, please.

rosschef91
12-30-2013, 05:51 PM
I finally read and re-read how to calculate my macros and TDEE. I thought I'd cracked it but then when I posted it up on the sticky thread, one of the guys told me my macros were out.

So my bf% is about 11% and I weigh about 82kg and I then used the formula to calculate the LBM which came out at 73.4.
I then used the formula to get my maintenance at 3128 (rounded down to 3100)

I then upped it by 10% to get a TDEE of 3440

Calculated my macros using the formula in the macro sticky and got: 
protein: 180
Fat: 82
Carbs: 369

I just need someone to help me out and tell me where I've gone wrong. Thanks

NorthernMusicia
12-30-2013, 05:55 PM
It actually looks okay to me. You'll find lots of different opinions, but if you're a hard gainer, that's a pretty good starting point. If you don't see reasonable weight gains in a couple of weeks, up the calories.

PerezEddie
12-30-2013, 06:03 PM
I finally read and re-read how to calculate my macros and TDEE. I thought I'd cracked it but then when I posted it up on the sticky thread, one of the guys told me my macros were out.

So my bf% is about 11% and I weigh about 82kg and I then used the formula to calculate the LBM which came out at 73.4.
I then used the formula to get my maintenance at 3128 (rounded down to 3100)

I then upped it by 10% to get a TDEE of 3440

Calculated my macros using the formula in the macro sticky and got: 
protein: 180
Fat: 82
Carbs: 369

I just need someone to help me out and tell me where I've gone wrong. Thanks

Those macros add up to just over 2900 calories. Not 3440

cls91
12-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Macros only add up to 2,900 like previously mentioned.

and not relevant to your math/macros, but TDEE = maintenance....maintenance + 10% is target calories, not your Total Daily Energy Expenditure

rosschef91
12-30-2013, 06:11 PM
It actually looks okay to me. You'll find lots of different opinions, but if you're a hard gainer, that's a pretty good starting point. If you don't see reasonable weight gains in a couple of weeks, up the calories.

I followed the formula almost to the letter. Not sure where I've gone wrong, as the dude below you points out, those calories only add up to just over 2900.

rosschef91
12-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Macros only add up to 2,900 like previously mentioned.

and not relevant to your math/macros, but TDEE = maintenance....maintenance + 10% is target calories, not your Total Daily Energy Expenditure

Yeah you're the third person to tell me that and I'm not sure where I've gone wrong. Any ideas?

cls91
12-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Yeah you're the third person to tell me that and I'm not sure where I've gone wrong. Any ideas?

180 * 4 = 720
370 * 4 = 1480
82 * 9 = 740
720 + 1480 + 740 = 2940
(rounded some numbers, but you get the point)

Your protein and fat minimums look good, so add another 500 calories to whichever combination of fat/protein/carbs that you prefer.

cumminslifter
12-30-2013, 06:18 PM
180 * 4 = 720
370 * 4 = 1480
82 * 9 = 740
720 + 1480 + 740 = 2940

Your protein and fat minimums look good, so add another 500 calories to whichever combination of fat/protein/carbs that you prefer.this^ pick your macros for your calories. not your calories for your macros

cls91
12-30-2013, 06:19 PM
this^ pick your macros for your calories. not your calories for your macros

you're so wise mr. fluff

rosschef91
12-30-2013, 06:23 PM
180 * 4 = 720
370 * 4 = 1480
82 * 9 = 740
720 + 1480 + 740 = 2940

Your protein and fat minimums look good, so add another 500 calories to whichever combination of fat/protein/carbs that you prefer.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't understand why you've multiplied the protein and carbs by 4 and the fats by 9? This is all pretty confusing to me.

When you say add another 500 calories to whichever combination I prefer, does this mean I have 500 calories to divide whichever way I want?

cls91
12-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't understand why you've multiplied the protein and carbs by 4 and the fats by 9? This is all pretty confusing to me.

When you say add another 500 calories to whichever combination I prefer, does this mean I have 500 calories to divide whichever way I want?

No offense, but I find it hard to believe that you 'read and re-read' the stickies and you didn't notice that carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram of weight while fat contains 9 calories per gram of weight.

But with what I just said, carbs + protein = 4 cal/g and fat = 9 cal/g
(some fiber, part of carbs, will have less than 4 cal/g, so when you start tracking your intake your numbers may not add up exactly, but don't worry too much about that, just stay consistent).

And yes, the protein and fat amounts given in the stickies are minimums. There is no minimum for carbs as it is not an essential macronutrient. So once you hit your protein/fat minimums, the remaining calories can come from whichever of the three (protein/fat/carbs) that you prefer.

Saying that, most people choose carbs to fill the remaining calories because they are the cheapest macronutrient, they provide energy which can help performance in the gym, they are less satiating so you can consume more calories, and they help significantly with hitting fiber/micronutrient targets.

edit: Personally, I have a very low maintenance and I eat a relatively high protein/fat diet...I rarely eat direct carb sources (rice, pasta, oats, etc.) other than fruits/veggies.

rosschef91
12-30-2013, 06:37 PM
No offense, but I find it hard to believe that you 'read and re-read' the stickies and you didn't notice that carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram of weight while fat contains 9 calories per gram of weight.

But with what I just said, carbs + protein = 4 cal/g and fat = 9 cal/g
(some fiber, part of carbs, will have less than 4 cal/g, so when you start tracking your intake your numbers may not add up exactly, but don't worry too much about that, just stay consistent).

And yes, the protein and fat amounts given in the stickies are minimums. There is no minimum for carbs as it is not an essential macronutrient. So once you hit your protein/fat minimums, the remaining calories can come from whichever of the three (protein/fat/carbs) that you prefer.

Saying that, most people choose carbs to fill the remaining calories because they are the cheapest macronutrient, they provide energy which can help performance in the gym, they are less satiating so you can consume more calories, and they help significantly with hitting fiber/micronutrient targets.

edit: Personally, I have a very low maintenance and I eat a relatively high protein/fat diet...I rarely eat direct carb sources (rice, pasta, oats, etc.) other than fruits/veggies.

No offence taken. As I'm struggling to get to terms with the macro side of things I expect people to find somr of the things I say hard to believe. I just need a bit of guidance lol.

I think I'm beginning to get it now though.

I can understand why people fill their left over calories with carbs, they're so good lol. I'd be lost without bread and rice.
Can I just ask one more question for now? How do I go about adding in my 500 extra calories and working out my macros with the added calories?

cls91
12-30-2013, 06:42 PM
No offence taken. As I'm struggling to get to terms with the macro side of things I expect people to find somr of the things I say hard to believe. I just need a bit of guidance lol.

I think I'm beginning to get it now though.

I can understand why people fill their left over calories with carbs, they're so good lol. I'd be lost without bread and rice.
Can I just ask one more question for now? How do I go about adding in my 500 extra calories and working out my macros with the added calories?

Do some math.

Carb = 4 cal
Protein = 4 cal
Fat = 9 cal
Calories = 3,500

Find any combination of carb/protein/fat that adds up to 3,500, ensuring you hit your minimums.

If you take 180g protein and 80g fat, which are your calculated minimums (which is 1450 cals), just eat whatever foods you like for the extra 2,000 calories to reach a daily total of 3,500. That simple really.
(apply some common sense though and make sure you eat enough whole foods for micronutrients/fiber)

rosschef91
12-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Do some math.

Carb = 4 cal
Protein = 4 cal
Fat = 9 cal
Calories = 3,500

Find any combination of carb/protein/fat that adds up to 3,500, ensuring you hit your minimums.

If you take 180g protein and 80g fat, which are your calculated minimums (which is 1450 cals), just eat whatever foods you like for the extra 2,000 calories to reach a daily total of 3,500. That simple really.
(apply some common sense though and make sure you eat enough whole foods for micronutrients/fiber)

Ok thanks for your help man

cumminslifter
12-30-2013, 06:51 PM
you're so wise mr. fluffthank you sir, i try. check your CP ;)

cls91
12-30-2013, 06:59 PM
thank you sir, i try. check your CP ;)

'You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cumminslifter again.'

Once I'm off spread...got an actual lol from that one ;)

rosschef91
12-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Reps for everyone!

cumminslifter
12-30-2013, 07:31 PM
'You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cumminslifter again.'

Once I'm off spread...got an actual lol from that one ;)ive always wanted to ask....are you naked in your avi?

cls91
12-30-2013, 08:04 PM
ive always wanted to ask....are you naked in your avi?

HAHA no but I see how you can think that...I guess I should have cropped the pic just a little bit lower.

cumminslifter
12-30-2013, 08:12 PM
HAHA no but I see how you can think that...I guess I should have cropped the pic just a little bit lower.or higher lmao

cls91
12-30-2013, 08:31 PM
or higher lmao

I decided to take this opportunity to change my avi....

hopefully I don't look naked in this one too lol

cumminslifter
12-31-2013, 08:08 AM
I decided to take this opportunity to change my avi....

hopefully I don't look naked in this one too loli need to get a better back pick, thats why i changed it back to my tri

rosschef91
12-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Just another quick question.. if I meet my macros but go over them, does it matter? Day one of counting macros and I've smashed through them

cumminslifter
12-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Just another quick question.. if I meet my macros but go over them, does it matter? Day one of counting macros and I've smashed through themdo you mean you have gone over your calories?

cls91
12-31-2013, 12:26 PM
do you mean you have gone over your calories?

I think he actually means macro's.

And no, as I stated before, protein and fat targets are minimums.

Hit those minimums, and stay within your target calories and all is good.

rosschef91
12-31-2013, 12:41 PM

Hit those minimums, and stay within your target calories and all is good.

Yeah I definitely meant macros.

Ok, sounds good to me. Should be easy enough:)

cumminslifter
12-31-2013, 12:53 PM

Hit those minimums, and stay within your target calories and all is good.thats what i meant, you cant go over your macros unless you go over your target calories as well

rosschef91
12-31-2013, 01:45 PM
thats what i meant, you cant go over your macros unless you go over your target calories as well

I've managed to go over my fat and protein but stayed below my target calories. It's going to take a while for me to crack this I think. Deary me