PDA

View Full Version : 6'2"139lbs-2720 calories is that enough for a bulk?

Skull Crusher Chris
02-23-2007, 12:13 PM
I am 6'2"139lbs and am on a bulk working out 6 days a week is 2720 calories enough for a good bulk

bradroche
02-23-2007, 12:21 PM
yea it should be, track your progress though, each weekend weight yourself in the morning b4 u drink or eat anything and after u "urinate"...you want to gain 1-2 lbs a week unless your on roids lol

I_love_crows
02-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Because of your height, I would definitely consider increasing the calorie amount.

Although people respond differently to varying diets based on their own metabolism, you are tall and obviously very lean which calls for more food.

Post your present diet and workout routine so others can chime in with their thoughts and suggestions. Also, since you are working out 6 days a week, this is more reason to increase the amount of food you eat.

ebes22
02-23-2007, 12:31 PM
I don't know if you should be working out 6 days a week either. What you need to grow is food, weights, and recovery. As an ecto (which I am assuming you are) it generally takes longer to recover from workouts. I suggest lifting 4 days a week instead.

look into rippletoes or westside training, and as you increase lbs, increase your cals.

kkowsari
02-23-2007, 12:32 PM
General rule w/ bulking is to take your body weight in lbs and multiply by 20 to arrive at the number of calories you should for shooting for daily - as a starting point. I think in your case, you should multiply by a slightly higher factor due to your height.

bradroche
02-23-2007, 12:38 PM
General rule w/ bulking is to take your body weight in lbs and multiply by 20 to arrive at the number of calories you should for shooting for daily - as a starting point. I think in your case, you should multiply by a slightly higher factor due to your height.

yea thats what I did when I told him it should be enough...why would a taller person need more food. I think it would be the other way around because him as a taller person probably has more skeleton weight and therefore less lean mass than someone 5'4 and the same weight as him.

Just a thought..

ironmatt
02-23-2007, 12:47 PM
yea thats what I did when I told him it should be enough...why would a taller person need more food. I think it would be the other way around because him as a taller person probably has more skeleton weight and therefore less lean mass than someone 5'4 and the same weight as him.

Just a thought..

skeleton weight... lmfao

reps for you

Skull Crusher Chris
02-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Because of your height, I would definitely consider increasing the calorie amount.

Although people respond differently to varying diets based on their own metabolism, you are tall and obviously very lean which calls for more food.

Post your present diet and workout routine so others can chime in with their thoughts and suggestions. Also, since you are working out 6 days a week, this is more reason to increase the amount of food you eat.

here is my present diet

Meal 1 Serving
High Fiber Cereal 2 Cups
Protein Shake 1 Scoop
Flax Oil 1 Tbsp
Omega-3 1 Cap.

Meal 2
Kashi GoLean 2 Cups
Chicken 1 Piece
Orange 1 Fruit

Meal 3
Tuna 1 Can
Brown Rice 1 Cup
Brocolli 2 Cups

Meal 4
Oatmeal 1 Cup
Chicken 1 Piece

Pre-Workout
Protein Shake 1 Scoop

Post-workout
Protein Shake 1 Scoop

Meal 5
Eggs 6 eggs
Oatmeal 300 1 Cup

Meal 6
Cottage Cheese .5 Cup
Protein Shake 1 Scoop

my workout is

m-upper
t-lower
w-light cardio
t-upper
f-lower
s-light cardio
s-off

bradroche
02-23-2007, 01:05 PM
skeleton weight... lmfao

reps for you

the bones in an adult body are about 20% of the total mass on average. In this guys case probably higher because he has more length of bone and less flesh weight (difference by subtraction)

the difference is probably negligible but I certainly dont see how he would need more calories than a shorter person, I figured if anything it would be less calories...

Skull Crusher Chris
02-23-2007, 01:21 PM
the bones in an adult body are about 20% of the total mass on average. In this guys case probably higher because he has more length of bone and less flesh weight (difference by subtraction)

the difference is probably negligible but I certainly dont see how he would need more calories than a shorter person, I figured if anything it would be less calories...

yeah i thought taller ppl needed more

ebes22
02-23-2007, 02:13 PM
copied from the stickies... (i think this is the 5th time I've posted this in a week)

2.2kg=1lb

There are several ways to calculate your calorie needs...

1.) Least accurate - by bodyweight

For weight loss - multiply bodyweight by 12-13
Maintainence = 15-16
Weight Gain = 18-20, or more

Formulas to find Basal Metabolic Rate

2.) Harris Benedict Formula - Good accuracy

This equation is quite accurate for most, but is not a good choice for extremely fat or muscular people. It will overestimate calorie needs for fat people, and vice versa for muscular

Men: BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)
Women: BMR = 655 + (9.6 X wt in kg) + (1.8 X ht in cm) - (4.7 X age in years)

3.) Katch McArdle formula - most accurate formula.You must know your bf%

For men and women : 370+(21.6 * lean body mass in Kg) If you weigh 200, and have a bf of 20%, your lean mass is 160 lbs.

Calculating maintainence calories

Multiply your BMR by an appropriate activity factor

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
Extr. Active = BMR X 1.9

If you only exercise 3-4 days per week, but do weight training + full session of cardio, you would be in the 'very active' category.

For weight gain or weight loss

You can subtract/add 300-500 calories for a quick figure. For a more accurate figure, subtract/add 10-15%. Use 20% for short term, accelerated weight loss.

daYDreAmErX
02-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Look skinny guy, I'm a female 140 lbs, 5'6" and I bulk on 2700 calories and I'm not an ecto. With your height, don't even ask the question and start eating right fuc*ing now !!!

:eek:

Koolhaas
02-23-2007, 02:24 PM
use some lotion so you don't get stretch marks. haha

SoMichKid
02-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Your diet looks like it would be for someone who is cutting if the portions were a little smaller. Put some more vegetables and carbs in there; bulking means you are eating a lot and all the time. Go easy on the cardio too.

I_love_crows
02-23-2007, 02:55 PM
my workout is

m-upper
t-lower
w-light cardio
t-upper
f-lower
s-light cardio
s-off

You may notice better results if you pinpoint certain areas of your body as opposed to bounding them in one single workout (i.e., upper and lower). This does not mean to overkill yourself on isolation exercises, but perhaps consider a routine where, for example, the muscle groups are separated, such as: legs, back & biceps, biceps & triceps, chest, chest & shoulders etc...

There are so many muscles in the human body, and trying to tackle too many in a single workout is too difficult of a task to perform. Thus, my suggestion would be to avoid a general "upper" body workout and instead group different smaller groups or pairs of muscles together. Also, consider taking an extra day off during the week.

Keep track of this along with your diet to properly guage gains week after week. If your weight plummets or raises too quickly, you will be able to get a better idea of how to tune your diet to fit your own personal needs.

Skull Crusher Chris
02-23-2007, 03:13 PM
You may notice better results if you pinpoint certain areas of your body as opposed to bounding them in one single workout (i.e., upper and lower). This does not mean to overkill yourself on isolation exercises, but perhaps consider a routine where, for example, the muscle groups are separated, such as: legs, back & biceps, biceps & triceps, chest, chest & shoulders etc...

There are so many muscles in the human body, and trying to tackle too many in a single workout is too difficult of a task to perform. Thus, my suggestion would be to avoid a general "upper" body workout and instead group different smaller groups or pairs of muscles together. Also, consider taking an extra day off during the week.

Keep track of this along with your diet to properly guage gains week after week. If your weight plummets or raises too quickly, you will be able to get a better idea of how to tune your diet to fit your own personal needs.

thanks for the tips im gonna change up my routine for this next week and on

ironman1964bc
02-23-2007, 03:26 PM
If I was your height and weight, the last thing I would worry about is how many calories I am eating. You will probably have to eat 3 times as much as a normal person to gain any weight.

Make sure you are lifting as heavy as you can too. My ex was alot like you....she would eat like a pig all day and all night but couldn't get over 110lbs. This went on for years until she finally tried lifting weights with me. In 3 months, she weighed 127lbs and looked great. After we broke up, she quit lifting and in 4 months was back down to 105lbs even though she told me she was still eating everything in site.

Richie_Awesome
02-23-2007, 03:28 PM
skeleton weight... lmfao

reps for you

dude, that's awesome :D

grapemaster
02-23-2007, 03:34 PM
some of you guys have crazy metabolisms then, or are young, or all ectos, or are playing sports or something, not sure why height would have anything to do with it, its all lbm. i gain weight easily on that many calories and I'm 210 11% bf. I'm also taller than you. But I also have 70 pounds on you so you obviously need to put on some mass and you have higher metab than I, one inch isn't that much of a diff. so eat up dude.

I think you should find your bmr and just start increasing by a few hundred a day on a weekly basis til u are gaining a pound or 2 a week.

bradroche
02-23-2007, 05:06 PM
some of you guys have crazy metabolisms then, or are young, or all ectos, or are playing sports or something, not sure why height would have anything to do with it, its all lbm. i gain weight easily on that many calories and I'm 210 11% bf. I'm also taller than you. But I also have 70 pounds on you so you obviously need to put on some mass and you have higher metab than I, one inch isn't that much of a diff. so eat up dude.

I think you should find your bmr and just start increasing by a few hundred a day on a weekly basis til u are gaining a pound or 2 a week.

Thank you, finally someone agrees lol

bradroche
02-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Look skinny guy, I'm a female 140 lbs, 5'6" and I bulk on 2700 calories and I'm not an ecto. With your height, don't even ask the question and start eating right fuc*ing now !!!

:eek:

you're hot

sibage
02-23-2007, 05:27 PM
I am 6'2"139lbs and am on a bulk working out 6 days a week is 2720 calories enough for a good bulk

OMG dude, share some metabolism with the rest of us. Think I was 8 when I broke 140lb and at 13 was 6'2 180lbs. but seriously like others have mentioned, lift hard and use your brain. if you know your not gaining weight on current diet then add 300-500 cals. and keep your protein up. good luck

Skull Crusher Chris
02-23-2007, 06:04 PM
OMG dude, share some metabolism with the rest of us. Think I was 8 when I broke 140lb and at 13 was 6'2 180lbs. but seriously like others have mentioned, lift hard and use your brain. if you know your not gaining weight on current diet then add 300-500 cals. and keep your protein up. good luck

thanks man that definitely what im going to do. see what the numbers say this sunday and then judge what i need to do from there.

daYDreAmErX
02-24-2007, 03:21 AM
you're hot

LOL

Bobisnew
02-24-2007, 09:13 AM
you posted the other day pretty much about the same thing

EAT EAT and EAT, 140 @6ft is SKINNY, u need to inc by alot more and not worry about the exact number of, "2720," calories. If you really want to get big you have to eat big. Shoot for 3500 or at least that, prob. alot more

Your next question will proabably be about macros, just make sure you get enough protein in, which in your case 200g should be more than enough, get the rest in through fats an carbs

Training 6 days a week, is alot. No offense but I doubt you can lift that much weight, drop the cardio and bust ass when lifting. I don't advocate what ilovecow said. You won't make gains as fast training the small muscle groups. The upper lower split into 2 days is good, as a newbie you'll gain muscle on any program fast, but if your lift aren't up to par I'd go with TBT, like riptones or 5x5

I perfer 3 day split, just do the big lifts, squats, cleans, DLs, bench NO curls or isolation exercises. I see this small ass kid at my gym do curls and bench every other day, he's been stuck there for months...I wonder why

NOW GO EAT...that girl is 5'5 and weighs more, prob. can lift more to

grapemaster
02-24-2007, 09:49 AM
EAT EAT and EAT, 140 @6ft is SKINNY,

yeh no **** right, i think i am skinny sometimes when I go to the gym, even when I was up to like 240.

grapemaster
02-24-2007, 09:50 AM
EAT EAT and EAT, 140 @6ft is SKINNY,

yeh no **** right, i think i am skinny sometimes when I go to the gym, even when I was up to like 240. taller you are, the more muscle you gotta put on to make it look like more. sorry but shorter guys have it easier as far as aesthetics go, but all builds have their advantages.

ebes22
02-24-2007, 11:44 AM
some of you guys have crazy metabolisms then, or are young, or all ectos, or are playing sports or something, not sure why height would have anything to do with it, its all lbm. i gain weight easily on that many calories and I'm 210 11% bf. I think you should find your bmr and just start increasing by a few hundred a day on a weekly basis til u are gaining a pound or 2 a week.

must be nice. I'm the same size as you, and at 2800 calories a day I lose 2 lbs a week. Having crazy metabolism sucks at times ; )

I agree with you though, find your bmr and gradually increase cals until you are gaining 2 lbs a week. Anymore than that you are likely gaining fat. For you, that wouldn't be such a bad thing

grapemaster
02-24-2007, 01:34 PM
must be nice. I'm the same size as you, and at 2800 calories a day I lose 2 lbs a week. Having crazy metabolism sucks at times ; )

I agree with you though, find your bmr and gradually increase cals until you are gaining 2 lbs a week. Anymore than that you are likely gaining fat. For you, that wouldn't be such a bad thing

yeah trust me would be nice to eat more, also got to figure in i have an it job with decently long hours, the only time im getting activity is my gym sessions otherwise im sitting behind computer screens. I am pretty much exact same build as you from your pics though though more of a 4 pack right now ( the uppers) must be the extra 1% bf extra 1% lbm :P, same waist size too. and yes 230 at 8% would be pretty nice.