PDA

View Full Version : Too much fat

reemslaw
12-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Hey all

I've been logging my diet on myfitnesspal for a while now while trying to bulk, and just wanna run this past you.

I followed the macro stickies and worked out my maintenance is around 2000 ( I'm 5ft ten and when I made those calcs I was 161lb) and to bulk I should be eating 2360. I'm going over that most every day and averaging 2400 daily which I figured was fine.

From what I've read you guys don't like ratios of macronutrients, you say eat this much protein, this much fat and then the rest can be carbs/whatever. Well my protein is normally between 160-180g per day and my fat has been hovering around 120g a day, which seems high when you look at the pie chart MFP has. It's normally close to 50% of my cals come from fats, all be it good ones. Is this normal and ok?

Thanks for the advice

Jcart159
12-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Hey all

I've been logging my diet on myfitnesspal for a while now while trying to bulk, and just wanna run this past you.

I followed the macro stickies and worked out my maintenance is around 2000 ( I'm 5ft ten and when I made those calcs I was 161lb) and to bulk I should be eating 2360. I'm going over that most every day and averaging 2400 daily which I figured was fine.

From what I've read you guys don't like ratios of macronutrients, you say eat this much protein, this much fat and then the rest can be carbs/whatever. Well my protein is normally between 160-180g per day and my fat has been hovering around 120g a day, which seems high when you look at the pie chart MFP has. It's normally close to 50% of my cals come from fats, all be it good ones. Is this normal and ok?

Thanks for the advice

First question I would ask you is, how do you feel on those macros?

If you feel awesome, then I would say its pretty darn good.

No one is going to be able to tell you whats best for YOU besides your own body. What works for someone won't always work for someone else.

Personally, I only eat between 100-150 grams of carbs a day, and at the most 150 grams of protein, so I need to have high fat amounts, and this is usually how I feel best.

It is completely healthy to be eating over 100 grams of fat a day as long as you are getting them from varied sources, and a majority of them are "healthy" fats.

AlwaysTryin
12-17-2013, 02:52 PM
If that's almost ~50% of your cals, are you saying you're trying to bulk on like ~2300 cals??

reemslaw
12-17-2013, 09:55 PM
If that's almost ~50% of your cals, are you saying you're trying to bulk on like ~2300 cals??

Yes, what's wrong with that?

First question I would ask you is, how do you feel on those macros?

If you feel awesome, then I would say its pretty darn good.

No one is going to be able to tell you whats best for YOU besides your own body. What works for someone won't always work for someone else.

Personally, I only eat between 100-150 grams of carbs a day, and at the most 150 grams of protein, so I need to have high fat amounts, and this is usually how I feel best.

It is completely healthy to be eating over 100 grams of fat a day as long as you are getting them from varied sources, and a majority of them are "healthy" fats.

I feel ok I guess. I find it a lot easier than eating a lot of good complex carbs, and find I don't have to think about macros much. I just get my protein in, and then that's how it usually works out, with fat being near 50%. Mainly from the likes of peanut butter, yoghurt, nuts, olive oil etc

AlwaysTryin
12-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Yes, what's wrong with that?

You have to eat above your TDEE to bulk

reemslaw
12-17-2013, 11:19 PM
You have to eat above your TDEE to bulk

Yeah, but I think I already said I'd read the stickies, and worked that all out and my maintenance cals were just under 2000, so I'm eating 2400.

softpounder
12-18-2013, 12:02 AM
Yeah, but I think I already said I'd read the stickies, and worked that all out and my maintenance cals were just under 2000, so I'm eating 2400.

How old are you and how active are you?

That's very odd that your maintenance is floating around 2000. If I ate 2000, I'd be losing all kinds of strength and muscle.

AlwaysTryin
12-18-2013, 12:16 AM

It can't be less than 2000

You're male

reemslaw
12-18-2013, 12:17 AM

That's very odd that your maintenance is floating around 2000. If I ate 2000, I'd be losing all kinds of strength and muscle.

If you want to check my calcs feel free, always good for a second opinion. I'm 32, and have a desk job, so if I didn't hit the gym I wouldn't be very active at all. Weights 3 times a week and cardio twice a week (just a light 20 minute session on the treadmill normally). Like I said earlier; 5ft 10, I was 161lbs, now 165lbs.

Thanks

It can't be less than 2000

You're male

I should say I've been putting on weight and increasing in strength with 2400.

respawn
12-18-2013, 12:53 AM
here is a calculator

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

exercise 3 times a week for you is TDEE 2346 give or take.

StoliFun
12-18-2013, 12:54 AM
That's fine. Low fat is for losers and people with pancreatitis. If you feel good and are making gains, go right ahead.

ironwill2008
12-18-2013, 06:39 AM
the pie chart MFP has.

You'd do well to forget MFPs 'pie chart.'

If you want to check my calcs feel free, always good for a second opinion. I'm 32, and have a desk job, so if I didn't hit the gym I wouldn't be very active at all. Weights 3 times a week and cardio twice a week (just a light 20 minute session on the treadmill normally). Like I said earlier; 5ft 10, I was 161lbs, now 165lbs.

Thanks

I should say I've been putting on weight and increasing in strength with 2400.

Running your numbers through Katch-McArdle has your maintenance at about 2650 cals/day. To build muscle, you'd then add 10 to 20% on top of that, and then after 3-4 weeks of consistency, see where you're at as opposed to where you want to go.

A simple-to-calculate rule of thumb to figure macros:

*1 gram of protein per pound of body weight

*1/2 gram of fat per pound of body weight

*Remainder of daily calorie requirement can then be made up of carbs, more protein, more fat, or any combination of the three that you enjoy.

Gxp23
12-18-2013, 07:01 AM

I was at 162 and was at 2750, now I am at 3700 cals lol, probs due to work more than anything.

shesprints
12-18-2013, 08:18 AM
If you're gaining on 2300, then it is likely you are miscounting your calories and "2300" is more like 3300. It just doesn't make sense that a male your size would have a metabolism that low.

reemslaw
12-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I can say confidently I have been weighing everything and recording properly on MFP, and 2400 is the average over the last month, and I'm happy with my strength and weight gains. Not sure why some of you are saying the maintenance should be higher than what I'm bulking on, for one, I've done those calcs several times as my weight has increased to make sure I'm on point, and two, I'm not going to up it to 2700 or 3300 because that seems ridiculous when my results have been fine lately.

My question was about the fat levels in my diet, which has been answered by a couple of you, thanks again.

NeroMaj
12-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Hey all

Thanks for the advice

That level of fats probably won't have any detrimental effects, but I believe that anything over 30% of daily intake the benefits (in terms of increased hormone production) kind of taper off. Considering that you are only leaving enough calories for maybe 150-170 g carbs/day, you might find that lowering the fat intake and upping the carb intake allows you eat a wider variety of foods while still hitting overall caloric goals.

ironwill2008
12-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I can say confidently I have been weighing everything and recording properly on MFP, and 2400 is the average over the last month, and I'm happy with my strength and weight gains. Not sure why some of you are saying the maintenance should be higher than what I'm bulking on, for one, I've done those calcs several times as my weight has increased to make sure I'm on point, and two, I'm not going to up it to 2700 or 3300 because that seems ridiculous when my results have been fine lately.

My question was about the fat levels in my diet, which has been answered by a couple of you, thanks again.

If you've actually been weighing/measuring/tracking your food intake, then by all means, go with your calorie total (that you've found through RL trial to be working for you).

The vast majority of posters of similar threads here, when prodded for details, usually admit that they've either been going by the questionable info on food packages, or worse, just eyeball-estimating what they eat. Since that's not you, go with your own numbers.

As far as your fat intake, as long as it's at least at minimum, and you're getting enough protein, everything else is at your choice.

reemslaw
12-18-2013, 01:47 PM
If you've actually been weighing/measuring/tracking your food intake, then by all means, go with your calorie total (that you've found through RL trial to be working for you).

The vast majority of posters of similar threads here, when prodded for details, usually admit that they've either been going by the questionable info on food packages, or worse, just eyeball-estimating what they eat. Since that's not you, go with your own numbers.

As far as your fat intake, as long as it's at least at minimum, and you're getting enough protein, everything else is at your choice.

No, I'm anal to the point my girlfriend thinks I've got an eating disorder. I don't mind being under or over here and there, so long as it's recorded properly then I know where I'm at and what adjustments to make the day after.

Thanks for the help :)