PDA

View Full Version : acidity and protein

Domicron
12-13-2013, 09:29 AM
so when food is marinated, acid breaks down protein to create more tender meat. how does this affect the amount of protein in the meat, in this case i'm talking about flank steak.

Jcart159
12-13-2013, 09:31 AM
so when food is marinated, acid breaks down protein to create more tender meat. how does this affect the amount of protein in the meat, in this case i'm talking about flank steak.

makes it taste delicious... especially flank steak that stuff is awesome. But on a serious note, sorry I don't have any info to answer your question :(

ironwill2008
12-13-2013, 09:50 AM

The protein content is still there.

Keep in mind that stomach acid does the same thing to the foods we eat, and without consequence as far as nutritional value is concerned.

Nyrin
12-13-2013, 09:59 AM

Keep in mind that stomach acid does the same thing to the foods we eat, and without consequence as far as nutritional value is concerned.

Yep! Also why it's no big deal to heat your protein, either; denaturing it in your stomach, out of your stomach, same result. I once had a Vitamin Shoppe employee act shocked when I said I microwaved my Quest Bars, as she said that I was "destroying all the good protein" (?); I just smiled, nodded, ended the conversation ASAP, and got out.

Domicron
12-13-2013, 10:00 AM

thanks. i figured as much, just curious.