PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good meal for after workout

Amatuer
08-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Just a quick question, I workout at about 0830.

Straight after my workout I had a feelgood milk from the shop, 30g protein, 30g simple carbs - sugar.

Would this help spike my insulin so the protein could be used>

Then about 30 minutes later I went to the shop, and got a packet of arnotts water crackers and tuna.

Arnotts crackers - 5 servings per packet
Nutritional Information
2.9g protein
1.8g fat (0.8g saturated)
19.4g carbohydrate (complex)

I'm eating about 2.5 servings

425g Tuna in vegetable oil - 5 Servings not including vegetable oil
11.4g protein
7.2g fat (1.7g saturated)
less then 1g carbohydrates

I'm eating the whole tin

Total
Protein - 94.25g
Carbohydrate - 78.5g
Fat - 40.5g

Total Calories - 1056

I'm trying to bulk

Incentive PT
08-19-2003, 03:21 AM
Post workout- Use whey protein, 50-60 grams with around 40 grams of dextrose (glucose powder).

Good Luck

James

Greg_SD
08-19-2003, 08:06 AM
If you are not gaining extra fat from that meal setup it seems fine. Thatís the real gauge.

derekmac
08-19-2003, 08:12 AM
You should be using dextrose post-workout; shoot for between 20-35g. Milk contains casein and lactose, which is not ideal for an insulin spike.

Your post-workout meal looks fine, though you might want to incorporate some veggies as additional fibrous carbs.

bkman4
08-19-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by derekmac
Milk contains casein and lactose, which is not ideal for an insulin spike.

Or for fast absorbtion. Maltodextrin is the best IMO.

derekmac
08-19-2003, 09:28 AM
Or a combo of malto/dextrose.

iamchris
08-19-2003, 12:53 PM
As for your immediately-after-workout-foods, here's a good article:

http://www.avantlabs.com/magmain.php?issueID=5&pageID=66

It's been effective for me. Whether it's the best thing to do, I'm note sure, but many posts I've run across here on bb.com adhere to a post-workout cocktail along those lines, and the logic seems sensible. To summarize, in water, use about:

- 40 grams of Whey
- 15 grams of Dextrose
- 15 grams of Maltodextrin
- 5 grams of Creatine
- 5 grams of Glumatine

If you're lazy ;), you might look into Optimum Nutrition After Max instead of mixing the formula above together. According to its label claims, it's pretty much includes all of that.

As for your first actual meal past the post-workout shake, I usually feel hungry about an hour or a little longer later, and just consume a regular healthy meal that I would consume any other time of the day (well, except before bed--don't want to get fat off too many complex carbs, and morning--a small shot of whey in addition to the food to replenish from the night).

robertthoburn
08-19-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Amatuer
Just a quick question, I workout at about 0830.

Straight after my workout I had a feelgood milk from the shop, 30g protein, 30g simple carbs - sugar.

Would this help spike my insulin so the protein could be used>

Then about 30 minutes later I went to the shop, and got a packet of arnotts water crackers and tuna.

Arnotts crackers - 5 servings per packet
Nutritional Information
2.9g protein
1.8g fat (0.8g saturated)
19.4g carbohydrate (complex)

I'm eating about 2.5 servings

425g Tuna in vegetable oil - 5 Servings not including vegetable oil
11.4g protein
7.2g fat (1.7g saturated)
less then 1g carbohydrates

I'm eating the whole tin

Total
Protein - 94.25g
Carbohydrate - 78.5g
Fat - 40.5g

Total Calories - 1056

I'm trying to bulk

Hi, Amatuer. That's a good question. A 'spike' in insulin levels is not necessary to make sure your protein 'gets used'.

Eating protein by itself can be more than adequate to 'optimize' the increase in muscle protein synthesis set in motion by your workouts. Furthermore, other than convenience, there is absolutely no benefit to getting this protein from protein supplements as compared to whole, unprocessed foods.

The notion that you should consume lots of carbohydrate (e.g., dextrose supplements) and whey or other protein supplements) right after training helps sell a lot of supplements, but it is in no way necessary for achieving optimal gains in lean muscle mass. The importance of carbohydrate post-workout if often greatly exaggerated. Research often cited refers to endurance athletes performing large amounts of exercise far removed from what the typical bodybuilder performs.

First and foremost, make sure you are eating an appropriate number of calories each day. Most bodybuilders, in my experience, eat too many, even when 'bulking'. Get those calories you do eat from whole, unprocessed foods ---supplements only if you find them more convenient/economical.

Your post workout meals may enable you to look the way you want in the mirror without any problems, but if it were me, I would get those calories from whole, unprocessed foods.

Best,
Rob

iamchris
08-19-2003, 03:57 PM
Rob, you've brought up many good points in posts I've read by you. All-in-all, I really like your philosophy and see you as a valuable resource. Seems like too much is put into all the minutia to create minor "optimizations," when really, the differences made by these tweaks are often times precluded by people not having put the same effort into refining their basic diet. Again, thanks a lot for opening my eyes.

robertthoburn
08-19-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by iamchris
Rob, you've brought up many good points in posts I've read by you. All-in-all, I really like your philosophy and see you as a valuable resource. Seems like too much is put into all the minutia to create minor "optimizations," when really, the differences made by these tweaks are often times precluded by people not having put the same effort into refining their basic diet. Again, thanks a lot for opening my eyes.

Hey, wow...thank you, Chris. You made my evening!

Thanks a lot for your interest.

Cgeers,
Rob