PDA

View Full Version : Diet plan questions

mikeyjenner
12-12-2013, 08:10 AM
I am new to dieting, I never had to before so I am hoping you guys can help me out. I'm 5 foot 3 160 pounds. I'm going to start cutting January 1st. I've read a lot of articles and seen lots of different meal plans. I just want some help critiquing my plan. Or if I'm way off let me know I'm up for all the proper information I can get.

Meal 1: protein shake 1 scoop
2 eggs, 2 slices whole wheat toast with peanut butter

Meal 2: protein shake and 1 cup of fruit

Meal 3: 6oz chicken breast, potato and I cup veggies

Meal 4: protein shake and 1 cup of fruit

Meal 5: 6oz chicken breast 2 cups veggies and a potato

Meal 6: protein shake and a banana

I haven't counted out the macros yet this is just something I have come up with. I was just wanted a better take on if I'm in the right or wrong direction. Thanks for your time ladies and gents.

WonderPug
12-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Why would you eat six times per day and why would you consume so much processed fast food???

Jimmyboy87
12-12-2013, 08:16 AM
How old are you? give us more detail about your goals.

mikeyjenner
12-12-2013, 08:22 AM
How old are you? give us more detail about your goals.

I'm 26, I'm trying to get down to 12 to 15 % body fat. I was always around 120lbs before I started at the gym. Now that I'm 160 I was hoping to keep some of what I've gained or most of it depending on what's realistic.

DavidUnderhand
12-12-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm 26, I'm trying to get down to 12 to 15 % body fat.

Do some reading into macronutrients and meal frequency (the stickies will be and always are your best friend). After that you shouldn't have any problem creating a sufficient diet plan.

NeroMaj
12-12-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm 26, I'm trying to get down to 12 to 15 % body fat. I was always around 120lbs before I started at the gym. Now that I'm 160 I was hoping to keep some of what I've gained or most of it depending on what's realistic.

1) The protein is definitely too high. Assuming each 1 scoop protein shake is 25 g of protein, you are looking at like 200 g/day of protein right there, which would be 1.25 g/lb. As others have pointed out, 0.82g protein/lb of body weight is the most you should be consuming (that would be about 130 g/day).

2) Too many shakes made with what I assume will be whey. Try to put the focus on actual foods.

3) Don't force yourself to eat 6 meals unless you want to. Meal frequency does not make a difference in progress as long as the caloric intake for the day is a deficit.

4) Read the stickies. Calculate your TDEE and determine your macros. Using that information, then you will be equipped to lay out an actual day to day meal plan.

mikeyjenner
12-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Thanks a lot for the help guys.

InItForFitness
12-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Your step-by-step guide to cutting.
After calculating TDEE/MACRO needs feel free to return with any further questions you have and we can further assist you.

CUTTING
-Calculate TDEE/MACRO needs HERE (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183)
-Eat at a 10-20% deficit
-Compose your diet of foods you enjoy that help you meet calorie/macronutrient/micronutrient needs
-Maintain your calorie level for 3-4 weeks to allow proper adjustment and then monitor your weight fluctuations weekly/bi-weekly (aim for 1lb/week weight loss) and adjust your calorie intake accordingly.
-Pair this with a proper workout program (preferably selected from the WORKOUT PROGRAMS SECTION (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)) and you’ll see results

Also be sure to read THIS THREAD (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136691851) to learn the basic aspects of nutrition

kenny85
12-12-2013, 11:27 AM
4 shakes a day is going to get old very fast. You could replace those shakes with food and be fine. Nothing magical about shakes

WonderPug
12-12-2013, 11:30 AM
4 shakes a day is going to get old very fast. You could replace those shakes with food and be fine. Shakes are food. Processed fast food, but none the less still food.

kenny85
12-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Shakes are food. Processed fast food, but none the less still food.

Yeah I slipped on that one :)

mikeyjenner
12-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Hey thanks a lot for the information. It helped a lot.

respawn
12-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Why would you eat six times per day and why would you consume so much processed fast food???

because this is what you tell people.

Protein: ~0.6 to ~0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the highest amount justified by research.

Fat: ~0.45 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the lowest amount implied by clinical observation.

Remaining caloric budget: whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer -- as implied by research.

So people think. Fast food has macro's and is easy, food consists of macro's. I see people in the forum saying they eat a jar of nuttella a day. I see people saying they eat all kinds of processed foods a day as IIFYM.

Can I suggest when you copy and paste this and for all the others I see that copy and paste this. change it to.

Remaining caloric budget: whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer from mostly whole unprocessed foods -- as implied by research.

InItForFitness
12-12-2013, 03:34 PM
I think he has a crush on you Pug :)

respawn
12-12-2013, 03:45 PM
I think he has a crush on you Pug :)

no. i just see you copy and pasting whatb he says and so many others.

so then people read they can fill their calories from whatever macro's they wish. and that is all thats said. So why not consume this and I should get ripped. has fiber, micro nutrients in the salads and all the rest. Take a Multi V if you wish even.

maxro's are
P--------------------F------------------C
150----------------130---------------205 gram
2550--------------4810-------------3280 kj
607.1428571----1145.238095---780.952381 cal

Total cal-------2533.333333

this is 5 quarter pounders from McDonalds.

WonderPug
12-12-2013, 03:46 PM
I think he has a crush on you Pug :)He's just starting his trolling & baiting tactics again.

Sad, isn't it?

InItForFitness
12-12-2013, 03:48 PM
He's just starting his trolling & baiting tactics again.

Sad, isn't it?

Even sadder that he unfortunately has an undeserved green rep bar so newer members may mistake him as someone who provides anything other idiotic retorts and ATTEMPTS (keyword) to disprove advice given from respectable members.

Really wish I wasn't always on R/C when the trolls come out.
Normally hardly worth it, but he deserves one.

respawn
12-12-2013, 03:49 PM
He's just starting his trolling & baiting tactics again.

Sad, isn't it?

pug you have been negged over 10k by a mod. so you must have messed up somewhere. by definition of trolling your great at it. You were telling me I was wrong for saying a balanced diet is what should be consumed.

respawn
12-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Even sadder that he unfortunately has an undeserved green rep bar so newer members may mistake him as someone who provides anything other idiotic retorts and ATTEMPTS (keyword) to disprove advice given from respectable members.

again tell me where I am wrong.

I have asked you people this sooooo many times in many threads. and I never get an answer. the answer i get is. your trolling when me asking a question for you to inform me of something is not trolling. But I see your attacks and belittling of people all over the forums. hence why I got e-mails from people telling me not to even bother reading the posts.

bbmod1
12-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Stop arguing like children in here, seriously. It's going to start raining negs and bans.

InItForFitness
12-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Stop arguing like children in here, seriously. It's going to start raining negs and bans.

With all due respect I do believe this thread was very productive and insightful until a certain member entered with no intentions other than to attempt and call out those providing advice due to his personal grudge he holds with them over his previous ban.

WonderPug
12-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Yeah I slipped on that one :)Protein shakes and bars are rightly classed as foods, not supplements, in my opinion.

respawn
12-12-2013, 04:01 PM
With all due respect I do believe this thread was very productive and insightful until a certain member entered with no intentions other than to attempt and call out those providing advice due to his personal grudge he holds with them over his previous ban.

read my post. again. I gave a reason why people have the mind set and I added my opinion to it which sounds much better then eat whatever macro's you want to meet calorie needs. there was no intentions from my post that was attacking anyone in particular. I was pointing out what was written by others and the confusion.

kenny85
12-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Protein shakes and bars are rightly classed as foods, not supplements, in my opinion.

Yeah I meant to explain it more as he can eat whole foods if he wants instead of the shakes. but I goofed. Getting a majority of his calories from whole foods instead of shakes could help op out a lot with his satiety, especially as a newbie. I just didn't explain my post very well

InItForFitness
12-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Yeah I meant to explain it more as he can eat whole foods if he wants instead of the shakes. but I goofed. Getting a majority of his calories from whole foods instead of shakes could help op out a lot with his satiety, especially as a newbie. I just didn't explain my post very well

You're ****ing up Kenny! :p
Get it together bro.

kenny85
12-12-2013, 05:19 PM
You're ****ing up Kenny! :p
Get it together bro.

I know, I know. I'm trying lol

mikeyjenner
12-13-2013, 08:48 AM
So I've bin looking at my meal plan and I think I've corrected it ....

Meal 1: 2 whole eggs 2 slices of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and a apple

Meal 2: 1 can of flaked tuna with 1 tps mayo and 1 tbs relish

Meal 3: 6oz chicken breast 1 cup veggies 1 paotato

Meal 4: half cup of nuts on I cup of cottage cheese

Meal 5: 5oz steak, potato and cup of whole wheat rice

Meal 6: 1 cup of fruit and a protien shake

I didn't do the count for my macros yet I'm at work and just tossing this out there from the info I've received...(still not sure if this is correct but I think I'm I the right direction)

accounts
12-13-2013, 08:57 AM
I didn't do the count for my macros

mikeyjenner
12-13-2013, 09:04 AM

Im just wondering if those food choices make more sense then the protien shakes.

kenny85
12-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Im just wondering if those food choices make more sense then the protien shakes.

Macros make more sense then names of foods. Take the foods you've listed and add up the macros and if those numbers match the numbers needed for your macros and goals then go for it

Gxp23
12-13-2013, 09:09 AM

Do they all add up to your calorie and macro goals?

Domicron
12-13-2013, 09:16 AM
1) The protein is definitely too high. Assuming each 1 scoop protein shake is 25 g of protein, you are looking at like 200 g/day of protein right there, which would be 1.25 g/lb. As others have pointed out, 0.82g protein/lb of body weight is the most you should be consuming (that would be about 130 g/day).

2) Too many shakes made with what I assume will be whey. Try to put the focus on actual foods.

3) Don't force yourself to eat 6 meals unless you want to. Meal frequency does not make a difference in progress as long as the caloric intake for the day is a deficit.

4) Read the stickies. Calculate your TDEE and determine your macros. Using that information, then you will be equipped to lay out an actual day to day meal plan.

the bolded statement is INCORRECT. .82 is the minimum recommended, hardly the most allowed.

you can go over on protein, but people tell you that's the minimum to help you save money, to help you save calories that might need to go to other macros.

NeroMaj
12-13-2013, 09:20 AM
the bolded statement is INCORRECT. .82 is the minimum recommended, hardly the most allowed.

you can go over on protein, but people tell you that's the minimum to help you save money, to help you save calories that might need to go to other macros.

Thank you for pointing that out. I guess that should at the very least, it should read that 0.82g/lb is the highest amount that has been shown to be beneficial with a large buffer; however, eating more protein will not negatively affect you and may help you hit your caloric needs.

accounts
12-13-2013, 09:28 AM

Are you going to eat this daily? I think you would like to add some fiber. Anyways sure it looks fine for a day but variety is good for alleviating cheats due to boredom and helping provide a broader range of micros.

mikeyjenner
12-13-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm new to the kitchen as well so the first few weeks I'm going to keep my meals very basic and similar, I did the count and I'm alittle off on many fats but with the advice I no where to look now