PDA

View Full Version : Calories consumed VS. Calories burned

tonybessette
12-11-2013, 02:12 PM
My question is...(and I have found some calorie counting threads, none answer my question)...I've heard over and over, to lose weight you must burn more calories than you consume. So if I'm using MyFitnessPal and it tells me I need to eat 1,450 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week....and I go for a five mile walk and burn 950 calories, that brings my total calories up to 2,400...do I have to eat 2,400 calories and burn off the other 1,420?

Here's an example of yesterday...(Goal: 1,450) (Food+: 1,064) (Exercise: -950) (Net: 114) ...I had 1,336 calories "remaining"...but I was not interested in eating that much, then go for another walk to burn off 1,336 calories.

Confusing question I know, but if the goal caloric count for the day is 1,450....do I eat that much, then turn around and burn off 1,450 all in the same day? Burn more calories than you consume....basically ending in zero calories for the day "net"?

AncientYouth
12-11-2013, 02:16 PM
My question is...(and I have found some calorie counting threads, none answer my question)...I've heard over and over, to lose weight you must burn more calories than you consume. So if I'm using MyFitnessPal and it tells me I need to eat 1,450 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week....and I go for a five mile walk and burn 950 calories, that brings my total calories up to 2,400...do I have to eat 2,400 calories and burn off the other 1,420?

Here's an example of yesterday...(Goal: 1,450) (Food+: 1,064) (Exercise: -950) (Net: 114) ...I had 1,336 calories "remaining"...but I was not interested in eating that much, then go for another walk to burn off 1,336 calories.

Confusing question I know, but if the goal caloric count for the day is 1,450....do I eat that much, then turn around and burn off 1,450 all in the same day? Burn more calories than you consume....basically ending in zero calories for the day "net"?

NO way a 5 mile walk burns 950 calorie s

tara19
12-11-2013, 02:18 PM
MFP way of calculating calories needed is terrible. Great to track, horrible to calculate.
Better off using the stickies or iifym.com

People wayyyy over estimate calories burned (like you thinking 5miles burns 1000cals).
Easier to stick to a constant calorie level.

tonybessette
12-11-2013, 02:24 PM
I think I posted a photo in this reply. I'm not debating you....I'm by no means a fitness guy, just started this weight loss journey. MapMyWalk app for iOS say I lost 950 calories from a 5.76 mile walk, it may not be true...I'm just going by what it's telling me. Regardless of weather or not the app is accurate, if anyone could answer my question, that'd be great. Thanks for looking/replying, albeit unhelpful.

Sorry...it wasn't MFP that told me I lost that many calories for the walk, it was MMW....I am using both app in conjunction with each other to keep track of how many calories go into my body and how much I expend....

tara19
12-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Yes. The way MFP works is a "eat back calories burned".

Although I will advise you once again, it's a terrible system often resulting in no weight loss.

Are you lifting weights in conjunction with walking?

kmoff77
12-11-2013, 02:34 PM
I only use myfitnesspal to track foods. I entered in my own calorie and macro goals. Your exercise should already be worked into your calorie goal and no need to subtract. Try using this calculator instead- http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

AncientYouth
12-11-2013, 02:35 PM
I think I posted a photo in this reply. I'm not debating you....I'm by no means a fitness guy, just started this weight loss journey. MapMyWalk app for iOS say I lost 950 calories from a 5.76 mile walk, it may not be true...I'm just going by what it's telling me. Regardless of weather or not the app is accurate, if anyone could answer my question, that'd be great. Thanks for looking/replying, albeit unhelpful.

Sorry...it wasn't MFP that told me I lost that many calories for the walk, it was MMW....I am using both app in conjunction with each other to keep track of how many calories go into my body and how much I expend....

That's a pretty slow walk tbh max calories per mile is about 80

tonybessette
12-11-2013, 02:42 PM
tara19. I am not lifting yet, but I do have a full gym in the house. Just walking 5+ miles a day, and yes AncientYouth it was a slow walk today, as I have a blister on the bottom of my foot I got from yesterdays walk. I average 16 mins a mile not 18...I briskly walk, I do not power walk....but I sweat bullets in this 80 degree Florida Sun. Thanks Kmoff77 for that calculator, I'll use that instead of MFP.

So tara19...if I didn't go the MFP way of eating back calories burned....should I eat 1,400 calories a day...and burn MORE than 1,400 calories in that same day?

AncientYouth
12-11-2013, 02:47 PM
tara19. I am not lifting yet, but I do have a full gym in the house. Just walking 5+ miles a day, and yes AncientYouth it was a slow walk today, as I have a blister on the bottom of my foot I got from yesterdays walk. I average 16 mins a mile not 18...I briskly walk, I do not power walk....but I sweat bullets in this 80 degree Florida Sun. Thanks Kmoff77 for that calculator, I'll use that instead of MFP.

So tara19...if I didn't go the MFP way of eating back calories burned....should I eat 1,400 calories a day...and burn MORE than 1,400 calories in that same day?I average 4.7 mph for a 7 mile walk an is a max 600 Calories

tonybessette
12-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I average 4.7 mph for a 7 mile walk an is a max 600 Calories

Ya....haha. I can't walk 4.7 mph, lol. I'm walking brisk-like as it is, and I can only bust out 5 solid miles in 1hr 28mins (my best time so far). A light jog....maybe I could get to 4.7 mph.

Bastiat
12-11-2013, 02:58 PM
use this to calculate http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and then use MFP just to track

AncientYouth
12-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Ya....haha. I can't walk 4.7 mph, lol. I'm walking brisk-like as it is, and I can only bust out 5 solid miles in 1hr 28mins (my best time so far). A light jog....maybe I could get to 4.7 mph.

I'm not knocking your speed I just think you are vastly over estimating the call calorie burn

tonybessette
12-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Thank you Kmoff77 and Bastiat....I went to that link and my BMR is: 2073 - and if I only consume 1,064 calories a day (like yesterday)...and I walk 5 miles a day, (AncientYouth's calculations 80Cal/hr I burn 400 calories a day)...brings my caloric intake to 664 calories....all those confusing numbers (I believe) means I'm in a caloric deficit, right? Which is good....yes?

Mikesimpson55
12-11-2013, 03:14 PM
I think I get what you are trying to say. Let me know if I understand. If it is saying you eat 1450 cal a day to lose 2 lb/week than you DO NOT need to burn those off. Your body burns those calories and it is saying that if you did not exercise and just ate 1450 calories you would lose 2 lb a week. So lets say you did burn 950 calories in a walk. You would then be able to eat 2400 calories a day since your walk burned 950 calories and you need to eat 1450. So 1450+950=2400. I hope that helps.

Total calories your body uses (1450) + calories burned by exercise (950) = total calories to eat every day (2400)

EDIT: I just saw your last post and it says your BMR is about 2000. And you burn about 400. So with the exercise your bmr is 2400 cal a day. So to lose 2 lb a week you need to eat 1400 cal a day. 1 lb = 3500 cal so 2 lb= 7000 cal which means you need to be in a 1000 cal deficit a day

AncientYouth
12-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Thank you Kmoff77 and Bastiat....I went to that link and my BMR is: 2073 - and if I only consume 1,064 calories a day (like yesterday)...and I walk 5 miles a day, (AncientYouth's calculations 80Cal/hr I burn 400 calories a day)...brings my caloric intake to 664 calories....all those confusing numbers (I believe) means I'm in a caloric deficit, right? Which is good....yes?

I cant believe your bmr is 2073 at 250lbs , mine is about 2000 at 164lbs!

even with moderate to low activity im around 2500 for the day and with training up to 3000

at your size you should be burning way more than me

illiniStrive
12-11-2013, 03:32 PM
OP,

Visit this thread (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380403), read the info, and calculate your calorie and macronutrient needs. If your goal is fatloss, subtract 10-20% from your [BMR x activity factor]. The number you get is what you need to eat to maintain your deficit. Every day. Whether you exercise or not. Just stay consistent with eating at that number. Track what you eat closely; weigh and measure everything.

Next, find a suitable weight program and begin lifting. Even if you want to concentrate on fat loss now, you'll like the look of your body a helluva lot more if you lose fat while lifting than if you just lose fat and do cardio. Below are some good programs to look into:

Here's some good programs to check into:

All Pro’s Beginner Routine

http://simplebeginnerroutine.wikia.com/wiki/All_Pro%27s_Simple_Beginner_Routine_Wiki

Baby Got Back Routine

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/training-programs/baby-got-back-routine/

Lyle McDonald’s Bulking Routine

http://www.jcdfitness.com/2009/01/lyle-mcdonalds-bulking-routine/

Power Hypertrophy Upper Lower

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

Simply Shredded Upper/Lower

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

That's really all there is to do it. Maintain your deficit. Lift heavy. Do whatever cardio you prefer. Stay consistent.

Good luck!

tonybessette
12-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks Mikesimpson55....from what I'm getting/understanding is if indeed my BMR is about 2000....and I walk, burning 400 a day totals 2400. I only eat 1400 a day, means a deficit of 1K a day....deficiting 7K a week....2 pounds. Woo-hoo, I think I finally got it! Thank you, thank you Mike....don't know why that was so hard for me to get, but I finally got it!

AncientYouth...lol, what is with you, haha. MFP says I need to eat 1,450 to loose 2lbs a week (which is what Mike's conclusion was as well, and the new calculator (IIFYM) two members above says my BMI is 2073....I put in my age, height, and weight...and it said my BMR was 2073. I'm not sure where you are getting your calculations, but if you want to share...by all means, I'm all ears. You do seem to be really informed.

tonybessette
12-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Thank you illiniStrive....I will def look into those workouts.

I want to start lifting, seeing as how I have a full gym in my house at my disposal. I currently counting every calorie and weighing foods that need to be weighed....so I'm "fairly" good on that aspect of the weight loss. I apparently need to kick up my walk.....lol, 400 cals for a 5 mile walk seems menial to me...I need a good daily workout to add to those walks.

87slosohc
12-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Subtract 500 from your tdee and quit worrying about what you burn on your walks. Your tdee not your bmr.

MrM27
12-11-2013, 06:22 PM
You need to calculate your TDEE based of your BMR * activity level. Simply getting out of bed and going to work raises your daily expenditure. So hypothetically speaking if you calculate your TDEE to be 3000 then that's how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight.

A 20% deficit from TDEE is reasonable and sustainable. At that point it's about consistency. Weigh and log your entire daily intake. The online calculators are not 100% accurate so you need to go based off progress not what a calculator says will happen. Give your initial change at least 3 weeks to see true results. Weigh in weekly and adjust intake as needed after that

There is absolutely no reason for you to limit your intake to only 1400 calories per day. MFP is notorious for low balling how many calories you actually need.

Do yourself a favor and read the stickies here in the fat loss section and the nutrition section.