PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that Cut 20lbs or more...have I crashed my metabolism?

1234rewq
12-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Good Evening Gentlemen-

Ill try to keep this short so I am just going to jump right into it- Been tracking macros for about 2 years now, my avatar was my leanest back when I did my first cut, got down to 190 over two years after starting a heavily overweight, little muscle mass 255lbs..

Anyways, as I said I have been tracking macros off and on, hit a rough patch from March-May this past year. Poor, poor nutrition, heavy drinking and eating. However, still lifted as heavily as possible. Went from about 215/220lbs March of last year, to 242lbs at my peak in June...Convinced myself I wasnt pudgy because I could incline 300 on bench, but knew deep down I was lying to myself.

-->So, started my official cut June 25th. I dropped 15lbs in 9 weeks, getting down to 225/227lbs tracking my cals at about 2500-2800 a day, working on my feet 9-5, and working out vigrousouly. I then came into my senior year the end of august here at college, and have dropped down to about 213-215lbs coming in at about 2300-2500 cals daily.

I'm officially down ~25lbs in the past 24 weeks, going no more than 2 days without tracking macros if I am on an off schedule. Anyways, my weightloss seems to have stalled for the past 3 weeks now. I am curious if I may have slowed my metabolism? I lift heavily, walk around campus (college) on a daily basis fasted, and even run 2 miles 2-3x a week at night.

My current cals come out to an average of 2,300-2,400 a day, and thats after adding about 100 cals for fear of being innacurate when tracking cals. Curious if I may have stalled myself, I am 21 years old, 6 ft, and 215lbs.

Have I crashed my metabolism? Sitting around 16-17% BF, thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!

1234rewq
12-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Also---> Had a DEXA scan done about a year ago when I weighed 200lbs. RMR was 2,300 calories for how active I was, and I can only imagine it being a tad higher since I have more mass now.

I am getting one done in 3 weeks to re-evaluate, but still trying to trim some fat as I want to go from somewhat lean (when I get scanned) to very lean over the weeks following my scan when I can dial in my cals.

I apprecaite any input, reps!

nrbreit
12-03-2013, 04:49 PM
IMO, you should be losing on 2,300 cals. Maybe try upping to maintenance for a few days and then back down to 2,300.

Cast0rTr0y
12-03-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm curious as to what people have to say on this as i am in a similar situation. I've cut down 50lbs since January but the majority of that came off in the first 5 months or so. I've only dropped about 10 pounds since July. I count and track everything to a tee. My daily caloric intake never surpasses 1900 calories except on my re-feed day in which i take in about 3-3.5k. I also lift heavy 5 times a week, with each session followed by a 10 minutes on the treadmill. I defintley feel better and i think i look a little better but the change isn't showing on the scale.

I constantly read on here that no matter what, "youre eating too much if you're not losing" but i just can't buy that. I would still be losing weight consuming 1900 cals and working out as I'm 5'10 and now weigh 205.

sharpieblet
12-03-2013, 04:58 PM
keep at 2300. no reason you shouldn't be losing on it, and no reason you could have crashed your metabolism from normal deficit dieting. you may just be holding on to water and any day now it may flush out. if mirror doesn't show any change in 3 weeks, then yeah, cals should be dropped a little, otherwise keep at your current deficit.

sharpieblet
12-03-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm curious as to what people have to say on this as i am in a similar situation. I've cut down 50lbs since January but the majority of that came off in the first 5 months or so. I've only dropped about 10 pounds since July. I count and track everything to a tee. My daily caloric intake never surpasses 1900 calories except on my re-feed day in which i take in about 3-3.5k. I also lift heavy 5 times a week, with each session followed by a 10 minutes on the treadmill. I defintley feel better and i think i look a little better but the change isn't showing on the scale.

I constantly read on here that no matter what, "youre eating too much if you're not losing" but i just can't buy that. I would still be losing weight consuming 1900 cals and working out as I'm 5'10 and now weigh 205.

you're not measuring your food with a reliable source (ie: digital scale) or are missing 'hidden' cals somewhere, or you're not accounting for occasional binges. thermodynamics apply to everyone. if you're not counting cals 24/7, and i MEAN every single day of the week, then you're not doing it 100% right. i don't believe that you're barely losing 2 lbs a month since july on a 100% strict diet, unless you were already super lean to begin with.

Clintw1976
12-03-2013, 05:10 PM
The simple fact may be that you are not counting every little thing you eat. You need to be strict here!

You could also have a read of this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158619243

Cast0rTr0y
12-03-2013, 05:18 PM
you're not measuring your food with a reliable source (ie: digital scale) or are missing 'hidden' cals somewhere, or you're not accounting for occasional binges. thermodynamics apply to everyone. if you're not counting cals 24/7, and i MEAN every single day of the week, then you're not doing it 100% right. i don't believe that you're barely losing 2 lbs a month since july on a 100% strict diet, unless you were already super lean to begin with.

Believe me i am measuring everything precisely. I don't eat out and make all my food at home. I use a digital scale to measure the 4oz of chicken breast i use in my homemade salad i pack for lunch everyday (for which i also calculate the items i use: cheese, hard boiled egg, lettuce, chick peas, cranberries, etc). I also use the digital scale to measure the 4oz of ground beef i use for the salad i have for dinner every day. I follow the same meals every day, sometimes making some changes to meals every couple of months. But i am defintley counting everything. Salad dressings, bbq sauce, ketchup, you name it.

Attached is a progress picture from the end of June (when the scale started moving at a snail'ls pace) and another progress pic i took at the end of october. I weigh pretty much the same in both give or take 5 pounds.
Also attached is a picture from January so u can see how much i lost from January to June.

slimsta00018
12-03-2013, 05:21 PM
I have a problem in the same area I am buying a food scale soon... I am happy that diet is 90% or more of your success.... The other 10 I am looking to push past and give 110% effort! Best of luck OP

asmcriminal
12-03-2013, 05:27 PM
I have a problem in the same area I am buying a food scale soon... I am happy that diet is 90% or more of your success.... The other 10 I am looking to push past and give 110% effort! Best of luck OP

2 reasons why people stall out.

1. They're eating too much
2. They're not eating enough.

You have to find a balance point. Have you reassessed? Have you calculated your newer TDEE? If I was you, i'd take a week off. Then start back at your current calorie intake. Give it a go for another 3 weeks. If still no weight loss then you're eating too much and need to cut calories.

slimsta00018
12-03-2013, 05:33 PM
I think I am going to reasess tdee but most likely will not take a break until I see if weighing portions helps instead of guessing. I really appreciate your advice though and will take it into consideration ....#onestepatatime

1234rewq
12-03-2013, 05:51 PM
keep at 2300. no reason you shouldn't be losing on it, and no reason you could have crashed your metabolism from normal deficit dieting. you may just be holding on to water and any day now it may flush out. if mirror doesn't show any change in 3 weeks, then yeah, cals should be dropped a little, otherwise keep at your current deficit.

Really appreciate the input, been thinking the same thing about the water weight. I am very water-sensitive as I am a hard endomorph so leaning the right way is a long, long battle. Had a free diuretic formula, thinking about running it for a couple days, then re-asses after I'm off it to see when it "flushed" my body, if it took out some extra water weight too.

Really appreciate the input. May take a week off as this is week 25 of my cut..

Tommy W.
12-03-2013, 05:52 PM
You need to drop cals. This isn't rocket science.

Masochron
12-03-2013, 05:57 PM

This. Yes, it really is that simple.

Mdenatale
12-03-2013, 06:00 PM

Agree completely

OP you lost weight with a given calorie intake, now it stalled. That means you need to drop it some more.

1234rewq
12-03-2013, 06:03 PM

My RMR was 2,350 cals when I weighed 200lbs. I currently weigh 215lbs, with ALOT stronger lifts, let alone 2 inches on my biceps in 2 years... so I use 2,400 cals as my RMR. I have a fear of over-estimating my TDEE, as I am not new to this and see people do it on here all the time.

So at 6ft 215lbs, I get up and walk to and from classes on a fasted stomach with a little caffeine and occasional BCAAs. Up and moving for a few hours across campus (Huge campus, Indiana University), I come home and lift heavily, starting each workout off with one of the 4 compound lifts. I also run 3x a week for 2 miles worth of HITT in a fasted state first thing in the morning.

With all the above, I take 2,400 cals and multiply it by 1.4750 =~3,500 cals. (1.5 on the activity level is deemed as "fairly active, workout 4-5x a week").

So from 3,500 cals, I started at 2,700-2,900 cals a day. Dropped 17 lbs. Stalled. Dropped to 2,400-2,600 cals. Dropped 8 lbs. Currently stalled again at 2,200-2,300 cals daily. Don't want to cut cals further, if anything I think I may up the cardio further.

My biggest concern is dropping too low. Consuming 2,300 cals with a ~3,300 (purposely under-estimating) TDEE.

Just confused, thinking 25 weeks in may be the time to take a break. Tough for me as I am not used to taking breaks while cutting…

Kind of thinking I may be in the midst of a Recomp? 3X6 275lbs on bench yesterday, haven't lifted that much since weighing 240lbs..

1234rewq
12-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Regardless, loving all the feedback. Nothing quite like being picked up when feeling low on your training/ diet. Much appreciated Gents!!

Tommy W.
12-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Kind of thinking I may be in the midst of a Recomp? 3X6 275lbs on bench yesterday, haven't lifted that much since weighing 240lbs..

No. Forget all the calculations as they're very misleading and you can't nail your TDEE perfectly. If you stop losing you need to drop cals. Once you get to around 1,600 and plateau then it's time to reverse diet then come back down again.

Strength gains and muscle gains are totally different. Strength gains do not equal muscle gains especially when in a deficit or at maintenance cals.

Tommy W.
12-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Regardless, loving all the feedback. Nothing quite like being picked up when feeling low on your training/ diet. Much appreciated Gents!!

Showin the love. Got to get everyone to hit their goals

1234rewq
12-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Showin the love. Got to get everyone to hit their goals

Ofcourse, looking like I'm down to 2,000-2,200 for the next 3 weeks before my next DEXA scan. Last one was at 200lbs, 16.25% body fat (and they're stated as being 'higher' than other calculators as they measure subcutaneous fat and visceral fat). Since then, gained ~42lbs, lost about 25. Curious to see the difference in numbers from BF to Lean mass.

Regardless, curious how you figure your TDEE/Macros if convinced the calculations are all off? Years of experience is it the Mind-Body connection you can 'feel' what you do and do not need?

1234rewq
12-03-2013, 06:22 PM
No. Forget all the calculations as they're very misleading and you can't nail your TDEE perfectly. If you stop losing you need to drop cals. Once you get to around 1,600 and plateau then it's time to reverse diet then come back down again.

Strength gains and muscle gains are totally different. Strength gains do not equal muscle gains especially when in a deficit or at maintenance cals.

Yeah thinking sub-1,800 cals for a very active and heavily lifting 21 year old would stall out.

Tommy W.
12-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Regardless, curious how you figure your TDEE/Macros if convinced the calculations are all off? Years of experience is it the Mind-Body connection you can 'feel' what you do and do not need?

THIS^

Years of tracking cals and activity on fitday.com and just knowing how your body reacts to cals\activity. Doesn't happen overnight. When you get a handle on it you can change your body easily at will

1234rewq
12-03-2013, 06:40 PM
THIS^

Years of tracking cals and activity on fitday.com and just knowing how your body reacts to cals\activity. Doesn't happen overnight. When you get a handle on it you can change your body easily at will

Awesome…may be in the beginning stages, not feeling hungry enough to consume 2,400 cals but able to sit at 2,000/2,100 and be content has me almost "feeling" myself slowly leaning out. Feeling content when hitting protein/fat macros with 2,000 cals; not eliminating carbs but I enjoy the feeling of functioning when on moderate carbs (~100 instead of 200). Makes me almost feel lean haha.

Regardless, been at this for 5 years and this thread alone has changed my outlook and plan of attack. Hope anyone else reading this has been able to see the wisdom seep through this thread. Much Love.

-Ray

asmcriminal
12-03-2013, 06:55 PM
THIS^

I do agree with both, but you have to start some where...

Ataraxic
12-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Strange you're not losing weight at 2300 cal, OP. You're a hell of a lot stronger than I am. You probably have more lbm than I do, as well. I've cut down from 194 ~ 190 to 180.6 eating at 2300 cal sense September 1st to December 1st. I'm hitting the gym about the same amount as you, too (Some type of Cardio 2x a week/ ICF 5x5 3x a week).

I've been cutting roughly the same time as you, too. Started in April around 230 pounds - December 180 pounds. I've even had a few bad days were i've hit 4000 cals ~ 5000 cals. It's pretty baffling to see that you're stalling at a much higher weight at the same calories. Are you sure you're weighting all your food? Are you having any cheat meals/ days at all?

tara19
12-03-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm officially down ~25lbs in the past 24 weeks, going no more than 2 days without tracking macros if I am on an off schedule.

My current cals come out to an average of 2,300-2,400 a day, and thats after adding about 100 cals for fear of being innacurate when tracking cals.

Unreliable tracking will do that.
Track consistently, every day for 3 weeks and look at results.

co2k12
12-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Same here...been stuck at 180 for 6 months...taking in 1300 cals now everyone said that's to low so I increased to 1800 and have been gaining weight....is this normal? Is my body just readjusting to the more food intake? Not trying to hijack your thread OP

asmcriminal
12-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Same here...been stuck at 180 for 6 months...taking in 1300 cals now everyone said that's to low so I increased to 1800 and have been gaining weight....is this normal? Is my body just readjusting to the more food intake? Not trying to hijack your thread OP

Yeah initial weight gain is normal, just a few lbs though.

1234rewq
12-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Yea I am concerned 2,000-2,200 is a tad low at 6'0 ft 215lbs with alot of LBM and an active lifestyle, but I am meeting my protein and fat requirments, as well as taking in alot of BCAA's to help prevent catabolism.

Regardless, I am having a second DEXA scan done in 3 weeks so until then I plan on sitting around 2,200 cals (Tops) daily, as I am starting incorporate basketball at night 2-3x week as well. I am eating at 2,200 cals and lfiting heavily Sunday-Friday, and Saturday eating at around 2,800.

---> One of the perks I love about DEXA scans is it measures your thyroid's activity + height + LBM + Fat Mass, so it gives you a pretty accurate measurement of your RMR, which in turn, can be manipulated to dial in you're daily TDEE and how many cals you should be comsuming.

Until then, it is 2,000-2,200 cals. Will update you all after my DEXA scan. Cheers!

james1856
12-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Believe me i am measuring everything precisely. I don't eat out and make all my food at home. I use a digital scale to measure the 4oz of chicken breast i use in my homemade salad i pack for lunch everyday (for which i also calculate the items i use: cheese, hard boiled egg, lettuce, chick peas, cranberries, etc). I also use the digital scale to measure the 4oz of ground beef i use for the salad i have for dinner every day. I follow the same meals every day, sometimes making some changes to meals every couple of months. But i am defintley counting everything. Salad dressings, bbq sauce, ketchup, you name it.

Attached is a progress picture from the end of June (when the scale started moving at a snail'ls pace) and another progress pic i took at the end of october. I weigh pretty much the same in both give or take 5 pounds.
Also attached is a picture from January so u can see how much i lost from January to June.

Even if you are slightly off with your 4 oz chicken weighing there isn't enough calories in the chicken to throw you off. I would be extra meticulous with your weighing and nutrition for the next week. Also check your sodium intake. Its often overlooked and the fluid retention it causes can be substantial. If still no weight loss after another week you will have 2 options. Burn more calories in the gym or drop your intake by 100 calories daily.