PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else 30-40 g under protein goal by 10pm??

naturalist
11-30-2013, 09:01 PM
What do you typically eat when you have filled your fat goal, yet you're looking for a high protein fix at the end of the day? Hoping for some tasty and interesting ideas.

Inb4 "protein shake" or a generic answer like "chicken". I don't want to rely on multiple shakes a day. Just looking for some new tried and true food ideas.

Follix
11-30-2013, 09:18 PM
What do you typically eat when you have filled your fat goal, yet you're looking for a high protein fix at the end of the day? Hoping for some tasty and interesting ideas.

Inb4 "protein shake" or a generic answer like "chicken". I don't want to rely on multiple shakes a day. Just looking for some new tried and true food ideas.

Well there isn't a ton of options, depending how many calories you got left...

Let's assume the number of calories is limited, it would have to be something like meat or eggs... Maybe dairy if you got more calories left but that's about it. Steak and eggs before bed sounds yummy to me.

AlwaysTryin
11-30-2013, 09:26 PM
How many calories do you have remaining to get the 30-40g?

determined4000
11-30-2013, 09:28 PM
protein pancakes
mix Protein powder with FF yogurt of CC and freeze

Clayton7510
11-30-2013, 09:32 PM
I generally plan it so that I have at least a small excess of carbs in the bank for my last meal. I figure that I can eat foods that are pure carbs easily, so if I am short on carbs then some dried fruit or some sweet potato can fill them in.

Tonight I actually had about 20g carbs left and just over 40g protein along with about 10g fat left in my target macros. So, I had some chicken fajita strips covered in black bean salsa with low fat melted cheddar cheese on top. Not bad.

Sometimes I also make hot chocolate by mixing ON Gold Standard Whey Extreme Milk Chocolate with hot water and a little PB2. Tis the season, after all ;)

Jamii89
11-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Some go-to snacks I rely on to get some extra protein at the end of the day:

-Hard boiled eggs (eat the yoke!)
-Cottage cheese and grapes
-Greek yogurt
-Roasted edamame
-Tofu and lentil salad
-Pumpkin seeds
-Almonds and pistachios
-Celery with almond butter
-Banana with almond butter
-Anything with almond butter really :)

determined4000
11-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Some go-to snacks I rely on to get some extra protein at the end of the day:

-Hard boiled eggs (eat the yoke!)
-Cottage cheese and grapes
-Greek yogurt
-Roasted edamame
-Tofu and lentil salad
-Pumpkin seeds
-Almonds and pistachios
-Celery with almond butter
-Banana with almond butter
-Anything with almond butter really :)pretty much all of those would require a ton of cals to get 30-40g of protein
he needs something with a primary protein source

Domicron
11-30-2013, 09:55 PM
i have this problem too actually. i usually don't eat more than 40g protein per sitting, so it's easy to be 30-40 short by the end of the night.

i think i'm going to buy some protein powder as an insurance policy.

Jamii89
11-30-2013, 10:04 PM
pretty much all of those would require a ton of cals to get 30-40g of protein
he needs something with a primary protein source

I don't know about a "ton." For some yes, and some no.

-1 serving of cottage cheese gets you 25-30g of protein
-1/2 cup of edamame gets you 30g
-Tofu and lentil salad gets you 20-25g
-Greek yogurt gets you about 20g

But I get your point :). The others were just snacks and suggestions for new sources (beyond protein shakes and chicken, since OP didn't want that). I guess this is all going to depend on how many calories he has left at the end of the day.

Gxp23
12-01-2013, 12:31 AM
If I am desperate for the last 40g and about to sleep well.

Whey shake (Last resort)
Can of tuna (Rarely these days)
Jerky/Billtong (If available)

These are just the quick fixes I would use in a pinch.