PDA

View Full Version : What you think of intermitent fasting?

Jeanmichel93
11-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Hey guys,

I wanna know if it would be good to be in a caloric surplus 6 days a week and fasting for 24h one day a week.

Would i GAIN MUSCLE MASS and LOSE BODYFAT at the same time?

Because i want to get leaner without losing any muscles. I workout 6 days a week on a mass program with heavy weights.

bigdogfarmhand
11-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Can't lose fat and gain muscle at same time

determined4000
11-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Can't lose fat and gain muscle at same timethis
IF has no magical properties
do it if it fits your schedule better

Jeanmichel93
11-24-2013, 09:19 PM
this
IF has no magical properties
do it if it fits your schedule better
Can i still eat 3000 calories (my caloric surplus) doing intermitent fasting?! O_o

OldS0ul
11-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Can i still eat 3000 calories (my caloric surplus) doing intermitent fasting?! O_o

You can eat whatever/however much you want, all depends on your goals. (cutting or bulking)
Look at it more on a weekly basis than daily.

You could also zig zag your calories if you want, say eat less one day, eat more the next.
IF is just a method of eating, nothing more than that really.

loganhart
11-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Hey guys,

I wanna know if it would be good to be in a caloric surplus 6 days a week and fasting for 24h one day a week.

Would i GAIN MUSCLE MASS and LOSE BODYFAT at the same time?

Because i want to get leaner without losing any muscles. I workout 6 days a week on a mass program with heavy weights.

So you want to get lean but you are in a caloric surplus? This won't work.

Build muscle by running a proven routine while eating at a caloric surplus. Cut fat whilst maintaining as much muscle as possible by running a proven routine while eating at a caloric deficit. (routine can be the same btw.)

IF does not make you lean nor add mass, it is a preferential mode of meal timing that can be conducted whether eating at a surplus or deficit.

Cortic
11-24-2013, 11:58 PM
There are plenty of studies showing that lean muscle gain and fat loss can be obtained at the same time so don't necessarily listen to the above advice. It is a slow process though and is much more effective to focus on one goal at a time. Furthermore while IF has been proven to aid in weight loss, and can be used to gain weight, it is not an optimal eating pattern and as such you will not gain weight as effectively as you would on a non-IF plan.

Gxp23
11-25-2013, 12:24 AM
IF isnt some special miracle diet, its a lifestyle diet to suit those who cant eat at specific times.

AlwaysTryin
11-25-2013, 01:08 AM
There are plenty of studies showing that lean muscle gain and fat loss can be obtained at the same time so don't necessarily listen to the above advice. It is a slow process though and is much more effective to focus on one goal at a time. Furthermore while IF has been proven to aid in weight loss, and can be used to gain weight, it is not an optimal eating pattern and as such you will not gain weight as effectively as you would on a non-IF plan.

Why would eating over 12 hours be more optimal than 8 hours

Please explain

Cortic
11-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Keeping blood glucose levels and subsequently insulin levels higher puts your body into an anabolic state causing growth. If you can keep insulin levels high constantly over 12 hours you are therefore staying in a growth state. This is also one of the reasons why If works well for weight loss.

Furthermore its why a ketogenic-type diet is excellent for weight loss and not-so-much for growth. Its all about insulin.

Gxp23
11-25-2013, 01:32 AM
Keeping blood glucose levels and subsequently insulin levels higher puts your body into an anabolic state causing growth. If you can keep insulin levels high constantly over 12 hours you are therefore staying in a growth state. This is also one of the reasons why If works well for weight loss.

Furthermore its why a ketogenic-type diet is excellent for weight loss and not-so-much for growth. Its all about insulin.

Which will be more or less non noticeable unless he is using it externally.