PDA

View Full Version : Should I get bigger or get ripped?

dylanbohn95
11-19-2013, 08:14 AM
Hey bros, I'm 5'5 and have been bulking for about 6 months and have gone from 137 to 146 but have added a little more fat than I would like probably because I was stupid and was doing cheat meals early in my bulk. I wanted to get to 155 but I've already lost what abs I had. See, I've never had a full six pack but I got close last time with a four pack and a little store of fat on my lower abs. But now I'm thinking I'll just start cutting this year once I get 150 I'll start my next cut. The thing is ill probably lose 10-15 pounds before I get that ripped look I really want, leaving me around 135-140 , is that really small for someone my size? I'm only 18 but I have been lifting for a couple of years. When I first started out I lost around 90 pounds and got to like 130. I was kind of flabby though. I have built back some of the muscle I have lost so I think this cut I'll actually look normal when I cut and not flat as much. Any advice you guys could give would be great, especially if any of you have gone from flab to abs and can relate. I put this same post on the fat loss section and only got one reply.

dylanbohn95
11-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Bump

WMLifting
11-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Pics would be nice, but I would suggest bulking at your stats.
I am the same height and am clean bulking (1-3lb/monthly) until next Winter or summer depending on body composition.

cls91
11-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Bulk until you become unhappy with your body fat percentage. If that time is now, then cut; no point in adding more weight/some fat if you're already not happy with your current amount.

I wouldn't base it off ab's though.

WonderPug
11-19-2013, 09:04 AM
You should do what makes you happy.

InItForFitness
11-19-2013, 09:08 AM
You should do what makes you happy.

x2
If you feel like your still lean enough to continue bulking than I would suggest that route.
When you look in the mirror and are unhappy with your BF% than it's time to start cutting.

dylanbohn95
11-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Bulk until you become unhappy with your body fat percentage. If that time is now, then cut; no point in adding more weight/some fat if you're already not happy with your current amount.

I wouldn't base it off ab's though.what do you mean don't base it off of abs? I thought abs where a pretty good indicator of a decent fat percentage.

cls91
11-19-2013, 09:38 AM
what do you mean don't base it off of abs? I thought abs where a pretty good indicator of a decent fat percentage.

I meant don't base your decision to cut solely so you can see your abs.

Too many people like the 'abs by default' look that automatically come with a low bf%, even though there is nothing impressive about that.

dylanbohn95
11-19-2013, 10:10 AM

Too many people like the 'abs by default' look that automatically come with a low bf%, even though there is nothing impressive about that.so you think I should just tough it out to 153-155 so I have a better net muscle gain regardless of any fat gains I get?

dylanbohn95
11-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Too many people like the 'abs by default' look that automatically come with a low bf%, even though there is nothing impressive about that.are you really 135 btw?

cls91
11-19-2013, 11:06 AM
so you think I should just tough it out to 153-155 so I have a better net muscle gain regardless of any fat gains I get?

If you're fine with the additional fat gains, then yes. I don't see why anyone would go from bulk -> cut unless they were unhappy with their body fat %.

Just keep your surplus at 10% to minimize fat gains. And keep in mind, more weight/LBM will generally increase your BMR and therefore TDEE. So the longer you bulk, the higher your TDEE will become, making it easier to cut when the time comes.

are you really 135 btw?

Yes, why?

dylanbohn95
11-19-2013, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=cls91;1165680283]If you're fine with the additional fat gains, then yes. I don't see why anyone would go from bulk -> cut unless they were unhappy with their body fat %.

You just look bigger is all bro. I hope I look like you if my next cut takes me down to 135 and I'm an inch shorter ha ha ;)

Icanlift
11-19-2013, 03:09 PM
big

dylanbohn95
11-19-2013, 04:41 PM
bigis that you telling me what I should do first?