PDA

View Full Version : Tips on how to eyeball portions?

upcloud9
11-15-2013, 02:48 PM
One of the issues I have with eating, is portion size. Does anybody have a link to portion sizes with pictures? It would be helpful having a general idea of portion sizes without having to measure meals every single time.

InItForFitness
11-15-2013, 02:56 PM
I'd suggest you start by accurately weighing/measuring food for a while first, this will give you a much better understanding of portion sizes.
Than once you've done this for a while it'll be more natural to guesstimate how much you're consuming.

craigiemac412
11-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Invest in a digital scale, measure out all your meals...and after doing it for a little while you just get the hang of it.

metalmancpa
11-15-2013, 03:15 PM
I'd suggest you start by accurately weighing/measuring food for a while first, this will give you a much better understanding of portion sizes.
Than once you've done this for a while it'll be more natural to guesstimate how much you're consuming.

Invest in a digital scale, measure out all your meals...and after doing it for a little while you just get the hang of it.

^^^This is how it worked for me.

Been counting everything for over 2 months now. I test myself and am fairly accurate with my eyesight portion size. As with anything else, it's called practice.

PBateman2
11-15-2013, 05:49 PM
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af228/mrgrewal/portion_control_chartFULL1.gif (http://s1010.photobucket.com/user/mrgrewal/media/portion_control_chartFULL1.gif.html)

enterthepit
11-15-2013, 08:17 PM
I agree with purchasing a small scale. I have one for the kitchen and one for the office. They are dirt cheap and very accurate. You will not have to worry about guessing this way.

Domicron
11-15-2013, 08:33 PM
My tip is to measure, but measure out how much you're used to eating instead of an official serving size. Since I'm used to eating 2 cups of rice in a sitting, I just use that and track it instead oof changing my meal size to fit an arbitrary serving size.

Now I know that most of my meals I eat at work average out to 1 calories with about 30 protein. I don't track fat too closely because I know I always get enough fat In my diet.

So when I'm ball parking I just need to keep an eye on overall calories and protein to know where I'm at

ANDYtheHUMAN
11-15-2013, 08:40 PM
One of the issues I have with eating, is portion size. Does anybody have a link to portion sizes with pictures? It would be helpful having a general idea of portion sizes without having to measure meals every single time.

Buy scale. Use eyeballs to see the number that pops up (digital) or where needle lands (spring loaded{my fav and what I use}) seriously worth every penny. I use mine constantly. Losin weight healthy n accurately since. Not to mention the peace of mind it gives you knowing you are doin It right. Srs

IronAddict1775
11-15-2013, 08:50 PM
My tip is to measure, but measure out how much you're used to eating instead of an official serving size. Since I'm used to eating 2 cups of rice in a sitting, I just use that and track it instead oof changing my meal size to fit an arbitrary serving size.

Now I know that most of my meals I eat at work average out to 1 calories with about 30 protein. I don't track fat too closely because I know I always get enough fat In my diet.

So when I'm ball parking I just need to keep an eye on overall calories and protein to know where I'm at

Strong avi/post ratio