PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on nutrition

Evado
11-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Hey everyone, I am new around here and to bodybuilding in general. I am 19 years old, 5ft 10in, 205lbs with alot of bodyfat. I am currently following a hypertrophy workout suggested by a friend, my aim being to lose fat and gain some muscle. The problem that I have is that I'm not quite sure what to eat during the day. This is my current diet:

breakfast -> 4 slices brown bread with margarine, lean ham and low fat cheese.
4-5 hrs after breakfast -> 4 slices brown bread with tomatoes and some 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
1 hr after I do my workout and when I finish I have my main meal -> 250g roast chickenbreast, baked beans, 1 slice white bread and 2 glases of milk.
before I sleep -> either a can of tuna or some almonds.
Note that I don't take any protein shakes or suppliments

The general idea of my diet is that I consume complex carbs throughout the day and take my simple carbs post workout. I consume approximately 40g fat with a 3:1 ratio of unsaturated fats against saturated fats.

The doubt that I have with my current diet is that after a month following it, I'm noticing that I'm slowly losing fat around my chest and thighs but I'm getting a bloated belly, almost like a beer belly. My concern is that I got the nutrition part all wrong.

I would like some advice along with scientific explanation on whether my diet is good or bad, and what can I do to improve my fat loss programme. I know that there are alot of technicalities in nutrition but if you can, please do explain technically. Thanks.

FishySteak
11-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Normally, the belly is the last place that guys lose fat, and you can't spot reduce fat, so the fact that you're losing fat is a good sign. Are you tracking calories, and macros? Because if you aren't you should start with that first. I use Nutritiondata for tracking calories and macros.

Also I noticed that you're lacking on fruits+veggies. Protein shakes aren't needed as long as you get adequate protein intake from food and to be honest, it doesn't seem to me that you're getting adequate protein. Replace some carbs with protein if necessary (if calories go over). Use butter instead of margarine: the saturated fats in butter aren't bad for you, better than margarine IMO. Any particular reason you're only eating bread? You can vary up your carbs: yams, oats, rice, etc. (unless you just prefer bread). As for supplements, you don't really need anything. The only things I take are a multivitamin and fish oil, Orange Triad is a good brand.

In the end, losing fat is calories in vs calories out. Hit your macros and lift hard and you'll be good to go. There are stickies on calculating your calorie maintenance and eat at a 500-1000 calorie deficit, and you're solid.

InItForFitness
11-06-2013, 04:57 PM
CUTTING
-Calculate TDEE/MACRO needs HERE (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183)
-Eat at a 10-20% deficit
-Compose your diet of foods you enjoy that help you meet calorie/macronutrient/micronutrient needs
-Maintain your calorie level for 3-4 weeks to allow proper adjustment and then monitor your weight fluctuations weekly/bi-weekly (aim for 1lb/week weight loss) and adjust your calorie intake accordingly.
-Pair this with a proper workout program (preferably selected from the WORKOUT PROGRAMS SECTION (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)) and you’ll see results

Additionally.
If you're cutting fat a program based on Hypertrophy would be less than optimal, I suggest you look into one of the 5x5 routines.

Evado
11-06-2013, 05:00 PM
I sometimes eat rice instead of bread, but I usually just prefer bread. At the moment I'm not tracking calories and macros per se, rather tracking fats and carb types. I do need to include more fruit and veggies in my diet but not sure of what to include and at what time of the day.

Follix
11-06-2013, 05:18 PM
At the moment I'm not tracking calories and macros per se, rather tracking fats and carb types.

If you an healthy 19 year old, you should focus on macros not carbs and/or fat type... Simple sugar post workout is a myth anyway.

FishySteak
11-06-2013, 05:42 PM
I sometimes eat rice instead of bread, but I usually just prefer bread. At the moment I'm not tracking calories and macros per se, rather tracking fats and carb types. I do need to include more fruit and veggies in my diet but not sure of what to include and at what time of the day.

All fruits and veggies are fine and good to eat. There is really no bad time for fruits and veggies as long as they don't cause you to go over your calories/macros. Like you could have a piece of fruit with your almonds, or add some veggies to your main meals. Or what you could do is possibly add another meal that contains some protein and some veggies. That way you'd be getting more protein and are not as likely to go over you calories, whatever that may be. But yes, you should be tracking calories and macros. I recommend a food scale actually. You can get a digital one at Target or Walmart for like 20 bucks and it allows you to be more accurate in tracking. Cheers and good luck with your goals

TooShredded
11-06-2013, 06:19 PM
You need to include way more proteins in your diet brother. You're getting too much carbs and not enough protein. You MUST calculate your TDEE as stated above to know the amount of cals you need to eat to constantly lose weight without inducing too much muscle loss, which is probably something you're living right now.

Good luck