PDA

View Full Version : Good source of calories without protein?

Yellabowley
11-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Evening all,

First post so go easy!

I'm currently looking to make mass gains but on a strict budget. My diet is currently:

BFast: 6 eggs scrambled
Lunch: 2 large Chicken Breasts and WMeal Pasta
Tea: 2 Fish Fillets and rice
Snacks: Peanut butter or Cottage Cheese on 2 slices wholemeal toast (2 snacks a day).
+ various vegetables.
I also have a protein shake pre and post workout and before bed.

I am tracking my intake and the above is giving me 2490 calories and 222 grams of protein.

I weigh 182lbs so going on 1gm protein per lb of body weight I'm having enough if slightly too much. However I was told to aim for 3000 calories a day. As such I'm looking for a clean way of getting an extra 500 calories without adding much more protein.

All of the threads and googling I've done come up with the opposite. Low calorie high protein options. As such any help would be appreciated. As I said I am on a tight budget. The above comes to 110 food 90 supplements per month. I can't really afford much more unfortunately, so the cheaper the solution the better.

If there is something like chocolate or sweets that would do the trick that would be good as my diet doesn't have any treats in.

Many thanks in advance.

PS - I'm 30 years old, 5'11" and 182lbs at present.

ImDorian
11-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Evening all,

First post so go easy!

I'm currently looking to make mass gains but on a strict budget. My diet is currently:

BFast: 6 eggs scrambled
Lunch: 2 large Chicken Breasts and WMeal Pasta
Tea: 2 Fish Fillets and rice
Snacks: Peanut butter or Cottage Cheese on 2 slices wholemeal toast (2 snacks a day).
+ various vegetables.

I am tracking my intake and the above is giving me 2490 calories and 222 grams of protein.

I weigh 182lbs so going on 1gm protein per lb of body weight I'm having enough if slightly too much. However I was told to aim for 3000 calories a day. As such I'm looking for a clean way of getting an extra 500 calories without adding much more protein.

All of the threads and googling I've done come up with the opposite. Low calorie high protein options. As such any help would be appreciated. As I said I am on a tight budget. The above comes to 110 food 90 supplements per month. I can't really afford much more unfortunately, so the cheaper the solution the better.

If there is something like chocolate or sweets that would do the trick that would be good as my diet doesn't have any treats in.

Many thanks in advance.

PS - I'm 30 years old, 5'11" and 182lbs at present.

Hi

What about oats ?
It does not have so much protein and it's full of complex carbs.

One serving of uncooked quaker oats is 125 calories. Have 4 of it and you'll get those 500 calories

Markwhit
11-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Eat more pasta for lunch and have less chicken. 100g extra pasta will give u around 300 calories from memory. Have porridge for breakfast a previous poster suggested.

pdt414
11-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Fruits are great usually anywhere from 20-30 carbs when it comes to apples or banana

AlwaysTryin
11-06-2013, 10:49 AM
There's no such thing as too much protein OP (without being an extremist)

Markwhit
11-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Fruits are great usually anywhere from 20-30 carbs when it comes to apples or banana

Yep this too. Hadn't noticed u had 0 fruit!

Yellabowley
11-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Excellent cheers guys. I do try and throw in some fruit as well but I don't really count it so if I did that would give me a bit more.

The oats look like a very good shout. Hadn't thought that oats would be so high in calories as a natural product. Thanks very much for your quick replies. Any more ideas are still appreciated.

pdt414
11-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Excellent cheers guys. I do try and throw in some fruit as well but I don't really count it so if I did that would give me a bit more.

The oats look like a very good shout. Hadn't thought that oats would be so high in calories as a natural product. Thanks very much for your quick replies. Any more ideas are still appreciated.

Definitely count fruit. MFP has a banana at 30 carbs 0 fat 1 protein and 110 cals.

palehorsem4n
11-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Drop the shakes and spend the additional funds on food.

Potatoes, oats, more rice, etc...

accounts
11-06-2013, 02:10 PM

What other supplements do you take? 90 seems like a lot for pre and post protein shake.

Potatoes are relatively low in protein. You could bake them for carbs or boil then pan fry them for fat and carbs.

sambshep
11-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Butter.

pdt414
11-06-2013, 02:41 PM

I agree with this

thepowerof140
11-07-2013, 01:28 AM
Definitely count fruit. MFP has a banana at 30 carbs 0 fat 1 protein and 110 cals.

Which is wrong, since 30g of carbs = 120kcal and 1g of protein = 4kcal. This would then come to 124kcal in total.

I tend to ignore the listed calories unless they correlate with the macronutrients.

pierrson
11-07-2013, 03:36 AM
apple pie

libtolu
11-07-2013, 04:04 AM
Butter.

Cheapest source of calories i can think of.

Yellabowley
11-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks again. Don't fancy eating butter but I could try and incorporate some somewhere!

Re the supplements I use a mix which also contains creatine and HMB so that I'm not buying lots of separate supplements then I take Omega 3, multivitamins and a drink which contains a load of so called superfoods (veg and fruit) it's gimmicky but not expensive.

Not sure how many of you are UK based but protein has gone up in price a good bit here since the government applied additional tax to supplements. The one I use is recognised as the best for quality and value and certainly isn't one of the expensive brands.

I work a funny shift pattern so I don't always have time to prepare stuff fresh. I got home from night shift at 8am this morning and left to go back in at 5pm so I find shakes a convenient alternative. I know it's not as good as getting the same from fresh cooked food but by the time you throw two kids into the mix it's all about putting stuff in my face when I can!!

I've seen some instant oats which have very good reviews and are only 20p a serving with 355 calories per serving so that's going to be my first port of call I think.

Cheers again everyone.

foodandfitness
11-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Sugar and butter. Add to everything!!!

FrankDavidson
11-07-2013, 03:38 PM
I don't think you need so much protein. You could save some money on protein sources, food or supps. I'd lose the supps.
What's your bodyfat %.?
I'd suggest more fats - set at ~1g/kg of body weight. You need them for cell membranes, nerve signal conduction, to take in fat soluble vits A D E K, While you are at it more veg to get micronutrients and fibre.
Fats are cheaper source of energy for g than protein and 38 kJ (9kcal)/g ...P C are 17kJ (4kcal/g). You could do your pasta in a standard chilli garlic and olive oil sauce. Butter or olive oil on your toast (olive oil is cheaper/kg than supermarket value butter, I spray it on for even distribution),
Sure you could calculate in 'treats' Cocao has some beneficial flavanoids see pubmed for numerous articles. Dark chocolate has more cocao solids than milk and it's about 35p a 100g bar for 50% cocao solid.

If you want a convenient shake economy supermarket oats are 75p a kg far cheaper than instant

I didn't realise there was new tax on supplements, though I do look at the prices now and again at Teso and noted they had gone up significantly. Only really used them for my late Dad's partner as she has alzheimers and can't take solid food..

LordMarcus6
11-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Hi

What about oats ?
It does not have so much protein and it's full of complex carbs.

One serving of uncooked quaker oats is 125 calories. Have 4 of it and you'll get those 500 calories

First of all this. Oats are incredibly cheap for the calories you can get from them, nice healthy complex carb choice as well.

Secondly this. You're on a budget and you're hitting a lot of protein in your diet, so back off on a protein shake. Some peanut butter works too, as another said you should make sure you're getting enough fat in your diet.

Also, on the note of fats...some flax seeds would be good. Added healthy fat/calories and a great fiber source. Get whole seeds and blend them yourself, will save quite a bit of money.

Good luck OP