PDA

View Full Version : Any of you have ADHD?

Domicron
11-04-2013, 09:10 AM
i have ADHD and i've been on and off of medication in the past 7 years. i try some medication, usually it either doesn't work or it has bad side effects (stimulants work best for me, lack of appetite is the worst side effect) and i'm just wondering if any of you guys have this problem and if you have foods that work well for you to help keep your focus and attention.

rob2093124
11-04-2013, 09:25 AM
i have ADHD and i've been on and off of medication in the past 7 years. i try some medication, usually it either doesn't work or it has bad side effects (stimulants work best for me, lack of appetite is the worst side effect) and i'm just wondering if any of you guys have this problem and if you have foods that work well for you to help keep your focus and attention.

i've seen instances where a low-mod carb diet mixed with a high fat diet helped. Can't remember how reliable those anecdotes were though.

WonderPug
11-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Please see here (http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/129/2/330.long).*

----------
* The discussion in the citation above is relevant for adults too.

softpounder
11-04-2013, 09:37 AM
^

Hm. Good read btw.

ELLSKIES
11-04-2013, 09:57 AM
I have ADD, but the meds never affected my appetite at all, LOL. However, I stopped taking it (Adderall) because I was sooooo lethargic on the days I didn't take it (usually Saturday and/or Sunday). So, in the final analysis, I decided they weren't for me because of how "out of it" I was when I didn't have any in my system.

I guess philosophically I'm against taking something like that to get through the day, so I've learned ways to deal with the ADD that don't involve meds. It's hard though. Some days I wish I still had them!

Domicron
11-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Please see here (http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/129/2/330.long).*

----------
* The discussion in the citation above is relevant for adults too.

great link thanks. reading now

WMLifting
11-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Caffeine is often used to calm children with ADHD. I guess it has an adverse effect. My step mother gives my step brother a latte when we go on car rides.

tonyhff
11-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Omega 3-6-9 , all that good fish fats.

Domicron
11-04-2013, 10:34 AM
i eat a decent amount of fish. mostly flounder...wish i could eat more sushi, but the good stuff has lots of mercury nowadays

WMLifting
11-04-2013, 10:41 AM
great link thanks. reading nowCliffs: Keto has many superior benefits over standard american diets.

WonderPug
11-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Cliffs: Keto has many superior benefits over standard american diets.Basically, the SAD, it could be argued, is a prescription for ADHD.

Ketogenic diets have palliative properties for certain classes of neural dysfunction, such as that associated with epilepsy and, likely, ADHD too.

i eat a decent amount of fish. mostly flounder...wish i could eat more sushi, but the good stuff has lots of mercury nowadaysYou'd want a fatty cold water fish such as salmon.

Domicron
11-04-2013, 10:52 AM
i see, well i have plenty of access to tasty salmon as well, good to know thanks. as always

Jesse_l_g
11-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Yes. I can't say exactly what helped the most but I don't struggle with ADHD or depression nearly as much anymore.

My doctor recommended I try avoiding gluten. I also don't eat so called gluten free grains like tapioca, oats, Quinoa etc. Not only do i see these foods as poor quality fillers but they also have very similar proteins to gluten that many people have the same problems with. Brb avoiding gluten but still eating sugary pastry crap. Even if gluten isn't the problem these kinds of foods tend to cause inflammation and aren't very dense in the nutritional building blocks needed to make neurotransmitters. This is kind of an interesting video talking about some of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy7114T0oMQ

More omega 3's. Now days I eat wild salmon 2-3 times a week. Buy grass fed beef. Free range eggs. For the most part I don't eat anything high in omega 6. This could be helping fight off inflammation but also might be necessary for producing hormones and neurotransmitters.

Lots and lots of fresh vegetables. Antioxidants, enzymes, vitamins and minerals. Lots of reasons this could be helping. Maybe directly like reducing inflammation or simply reducing stress on the body so it has more resources to spend elsewhere.

Lifestyle. I make a effort to avoid as many toxins as i can, sleep 8 hrs a night, meditate and exercise in a healthy fashion. I really feel all this kind of stuff has a compounding effect on each other. Meditation has really helped. It seems to me ADHD is more than anything a problem of focusing the mind.

WMLifting
11-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Basically, the SAD, it could be argued, is a prescription for ADHD.

Ketogenic diets have palliative properties for certain classes of neural dysfunction, such as that associated with epilepsy and, likely, ADHD too.

You'd want a fatty cold water fish such as salmon.
Has thier been any studies done on strength training individuals neural adaptations? I would be curious as to if keto would be superior to a typical high carbohydrate diet.

WonderPug
11-04-2013, 10:57 AM
i see, well i have plenty of access to tasty salmon as well, good to know thanks. as alwaysGreat. Especially if wild caught.

Has thier been any studies done on strength training individuals neural adaptations? I would be curious as to if keto would be superior to a typical high carbohydrate diet.I have not come across such specific to keto, but it would be very interesting indeed.

mickgee
11-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Lack of appetite is a common side effect and I experience it myself when taking ADHD-associated meds. I haven't found that any sort of diet affects my hyperactive behaviour except to increase it. A loss of appetite shouldn't be a worry though - just because you're not hungry doesn't mean you can't eat. Good luck!

WMLifting
11-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Lack of appetite is a common side effect and I experience it myself when taking ADHD-associated meds. I haven't found that any sort of diet affects my hyperactive behaviour except to increase it. A loss of appetite shouldn't be a worry though - just because you're not hungry doesn't mean you can't eat. Good luck! This happens to my step brother. He won't eat hardly anything for a week then out of nowhere he'll pig out. iv'e never seen a 5'2" kid eat so much food in my life!

WonderPug
11-04-2013, 01:17 PM
This happens to my step brother. He won't eat hardly anything for a week then out of nowhere he'll pig out. iv'e never seen a 5'2" kid eat so much food in my life!Kind of sounds like IF or the "warrior" diet gone wild.

SSM12
11-04-2013, 01:18 PM
My ex had ADHD and she took medication for it. She would never be hungry when she took it. At work, she would just eat a few carrots or something, she was never hungry.

WMLifting
11-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Kind of sounds like IF or the "warrior" diet gone wild. Haha never thought of it like that before. During the holidays when he doesn't take his medication he eats more than everyone there.

backisassuk
11-04-2013, 02:46 PM
At least you don't take medication where you crave carbohydrates/sugar and always hungry while trying to cut *sadface* :P

DatMurse
11-04-2013, 03:30 PM
I have ADD. I try to eat a big meal in the morning with my medication.

Sometimes I know I have to eat or I cannot think straight.

If I know I have to eat, I will go buy some caloric dense foods to fill me up.

Adderall(Dextramphetamine) XR 30mg

babyeater690
11-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Ive add lad and its totally different to adhd best thing is slow releasing energy food like porrage oats so on with meds helps stableise efects

Domicron
11-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies. i'm on recharge but i'll try to get everyone. (shoot me a pm if i forget tomorrow...afterall i have adhd) I'm not really interested in getting back on meds; they help and there's nothing wrong with them...it's just a personal decision. right now i'm working on getting back in rhythm with my exercise routine. i believe exercise does help manage my adhd, ironically it's the dysfunction which makes it difficult to get in my workouts.

otherwise my kitchen is completely gone now, as they're doing a lot of renovation in my house. i'll start looking at zinc and iron deficiencies (from pugs link and other info i've found that those are the two main dietary causes of adhd, when diet is a factor). keto and gluten free diets are pretty much impossible with the amount of rice and soy sauce i consume...