PDA

View Full Version : Skip meals for a big cheat meal??

aidenhardcore
11-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Hey guys. I can't seem to find this so I thought I would ask. If your eating clean for a long period of time and you know that let's say Friday night, your going out with your family and your gonna have a cheat meal. Not going insane but eat what you want. Could you just let's say habe breakfast but skip lunch and snacks and save up the rest of the calories for dinner? So when you do eat at dinner you can have alittle more, still be in your calorie range and not feel bad.

Casual I did that on Sunday. Had a small breakfast, small small lunch and saved all my calories for dinner. Had my cheat meal and never gained lbs from it. It wouldn't hurt to skip lunch and snacks so you can eat alittle more on dinner right? I don't think so but I wanted to ask. And I wouldn't do it all the time but on special occasions.
Thanks guys

Tuksonrider
11-01-2013, 10:11 AM
As long as you get in your daily macros and calories, you can eat one big-ass meal a day. Most people find it hard to stuff down that much food in a single seating though.. I don't seem to have that problem.

aidenhardcore
11-01-2013, 10:12 AM
It's just with thanksgiving coming up and Xmas, I know my family ussally gets lots of take outs. And I'm thinking if I still eat clean and skip a meal on a holiday and then save my calories for let's say dinner, I can eat alittle more but stay in my range and not feel bad and no gain anything. Makes sense right?

aidenhardcore
11-01-2013, 10:14 AM
As long as you get in your daily macros and calories, you can eat one big-ass meal a day. Most people find it hard to stuff down that much food in a single seating though.. I don't seem to have that problem.

Oh ok great. Thanks dude. I don't seem to have the problem too lol. I could eat one huge meal and that be my calories and I would be fine lol but I spead it out over 5 meals.

TearsOfIce
11-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Hey guys. I can't seem to find this so I thought I would ask. If your eating clean for a long period of time and you know that let's say Friday night, your going out with your family and your gonna have a cheat meal. Not going insane but eat what you want. Could you just let's say habe breakfast but skip lunch and snacks and save up the rest of the calories for dinner? So when you do eat at dinner you can have alittle more, still be in your calorie range and not feel bad.

Casual I did that on Sunday. Had a small breakfast, small small lunch and saved all my calories for dinner. Had my cheat meal and never gained lbs from it. It wouldn't hurt to skip lunch and snacks so you can eat alittle more on dinner right? I don't think so but I wanted to ask. And I wouldn't do it all the time but on special occasions.
Thanks guys

Well...my advice is: don't skip meals.
On sunday I'll eat a full pint of chocolate brownie Ben&Jerry as a snack but I won't skip my meals. I'll just fit it in my cals by lowering the other meals' calories (less calorie-dense food). At lunch I'll eat half a kilo of shirataki (ever heard about it?) which is like 50 calories in total. Good stuff. I'll eat big quantities of foods with less calories. But I'll fit that ben&jerry in my daily calories. You hould be fine like that but skipping doesn't sound too good...

Former300lber
11-01-2013, 10:16 AM
http://www.experimentalbeing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/warrior_princ.png

Of course, that's not set in stone, but many people practice this eating protocol known as the "Warrior diet" I tried it just for **** and giggle's, I can safely report I didn't have any negative affect's aside from some hunger during the day, however my mental clarity truly was heightened, whether that was placebo or not, I don't know.

The end result is, This is of course just a meal timing protocol, overall caloric deficit is going to determine weight loss.

TearsOfIce
11-01-2013, 10:16 AM

Thanks guys

On sunday I'll eat a full pint of chocolate brownie Ben&Jerry as a snack but I won't skip my meals. I'll just fit it in my cals by lowering the other meals' calories (less calorie-dense food). At lunch I'll eat half a kilo of shirataki (ever heard about it?) which is like 50 calories in total. Good stuff. I'll eat big quantities of foods with less calories. But I'll fit that ben&jerry in my daily calories. You hould be fine like that but skipping doesn't sound too good...

InItForFitness
11-01-2013, 10:17 AM
DO NOT spend your holidays with family concerning yourself with counting calories/macros.
Disregard "clean" eating and stop thinking of "cheating".
Food is not your spouse/significant other and your relationship with it should not be something you view as "cheating" on.

Take the holiday to enjoy your time with friends/family and just eat some damn food.

Former300lber
11-01-2013, 10:20 AM
DO NOT spend your holidays with family concerning yourself with counting calories/macros.
Food is not your spouse/significant other and your relationship with it should not be something you view as "cheating" on.

Take the holiday to enjoy your time with friends/family and just eat some damn food.

Oh and this of course, Fitness is supposed to be something you incorporate into your life to better your self, It's not supposed to become your life.

God Damnit Init your alway's on spread for me, Keep dem leg's closed.

InItForFitness
11-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Oh and this of course, Fitness is supposed to be something you incorporate into your life to better your self, It's not supposed to become your life.

Feeling is mutual.
Seems like you and a few others are never off spread.

aidenhardcore
11-01-2013, 10:36 AM
I can see where your coming from and that is a good idea. I should try that for sure and see how I do. I never really thought about that I was just thinking skipping a meal so I could eat a good dinner. I have done this only a couple of times and it has worked. If I ate all my meals and had a cheat meal at dinner then I gained like 6lbs in water weight and would take 1 week to get down again. If I didn't have lunch and saved it for a good dinner, I wouldn't gain a thing. But that's just from what I saw. Maybe it isn't good.

http://www.experimentalbeing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/warrior_princ.png

Of course, that's not set in stone, but many people practice this eating protocol known as the "Warrior diet" I tried it just for **** and giggle's, I can safely report I didn't have any negative affect's aside from some hunger during the day, however my mental clarity truly was heightened, whether that was placebo or not, I don't know.

The end result is, This is of course just a meal timing protocol, overall caloric deficit is going to determine weight loss.

I have heard of this diet and it is hardcore. I have never tired it but some people do say it sucks. I don't think I could do it everyday for sure but once or twice skipping a meal to have a good dinner wouldn't hurt I don't think. I mean I am still staying at a lower calories and its not like I'm eating 3,000 a day. I eat far less then that for sure.

I get what you are saying and your right, Like my old man tells me, just forget about cutting and eat that damn Chinese food that's on the table lol. I could do that but I would end up going back to my old ways and that's not gonna happen. I can still enjoy the holidays with family and still eat ok with just being open minded. I worked too hard going from almost 350 to 214 and Im not gonna stop. I hear all these stories of people taking xmas and new years off of there diet and eat crazy but gain 10lbs. I'm not hear to gain lbs I'm here to loss it lol. So.... but I get what your saying and you are right.

Yes I have incorporated gym into my life. It doesn't become my life but I do enjoy going and working out. Makes me feel happy and keeps my mind in check.

InItForFitness
11-01-2013, 10:38 AM
I get what you are saying and your right, Like my old man tells me, just forget about cutting and eat that damn Chinese food that's on the table lol. I could do that but I would end up going back to my old ways and that's not gonna happen. I can still enjoy the holidays with family and still eat ok with just being open minded. I worked too hard going from almost 350 to 214 and Im not gonna stop. I hear all these stories of people taking xmas and new years off of there diet and eat crazy but gain 10lbs. I'm not hear to gain lbs I'm here to loss it lol. So.... but I get what your saying and you are right.

If your old ways are to binge eat than that is a more serious condition that needs to be looked into.
There is no reason you shouldn't be consuming foods you enjoy, but if you have no self control to eat with moderation than please seek assistance with this matter.

aidenhardcore
11-01-2013, 10:46 AM
If your old ways are to binge eat than that is a more serious condition that needs to be looked into.
There is no reason you shouldn't be consuming foods you enjoy, but if you have no self control to eat with moderation than please seek assistance with this matter.

I was never a binge eater. At least I don't think so. What got me to get up to 350 was poor decision. I didn't care about my body, health, or anything. I didn't eat 24/7 but what I ate was bad. But after losing over 120lbs, I feel great. One of the best things I think is that I don't have the mindset to want to kill myself. I'm much more healthier and I'm learning to love myself which is hard for me but I'm trying. But your so right. If I want a cheat day with family, I should be able to eat and enjoy myself with out feeling like crap. I guess I hate seeing the scale go up. Even If I see it go up 1 pound, I get angry. But Ive been learning to just let it go. Its a hard struggle but I'm trying to make it work out. Now I just let it go and try harder. No one is perfect and fixing my body from being so big to losing weight is hard but One step at a time

Bema
11-01-2013, 10:48 AM

It is a holiday after all! Enjoy it OP!

Since moving to Hong Kong I now get Canadian Thanksgiving, American Thanksgiving and Christmas. Three best meals of the year!

One bit meal every now and again isn't going to ruin your life or your goals by any truly measurable margin. That may sound a little laissez faire but our bodies don't work on the same strict 24hour cycles that MyFitnessPal does. You have time either side of your "cheat meal" to accommodate those calories.

Personally i wouldn't skip meals. I might take calories off here or there ( lighter lunch or breaky as you suggested) or add extra gym time, but I wouldn't necessarily skip lunch for the sake of a bigger dinner. Just enjoy the time and the meal.

Huckleberry101
11-01-2013, 02:23 PM
I generally eat like this daily anyway, eating over two thirds of my intake late in the evening.

You'll be fine.

bradroche
11-01-2013, 04:14 PM
I always find it funny when people think there are issues with counting calories during holidays, or asking a question about how to compensate for a "cheat" meal. To me it sounds like OP would gain more happiness from counting calories and ensuring progress then he would from eating like the rest of his family and gaining 5lb over christmas. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as he isn't hurting himself by missing out on foods. As extreme as it can seem for people to think its taboo to enjoy food, its also pretty extreme to think that everyone has to eat certain foods to make them happy..

OP - dont count calories and just eat over the holidays if that is what will make you enjoy the holidays the most! If not, continue as per normal but dont beat yourself up if you go over your calories now and then. Just because you dont want to ruin your progress over the holidays doesnt mean you are bordering on an eating disorder or anything.

KobiDC
11-01-2013, 04:17 PM
if you're restricting yourself throughout the day to enjoy a 'cheat' meal, is it really a 'cheat' at all?

be a normal person and just enjoy your food with your family/friends if it's a special occasion. you'll be fine.

IronAgony
11-02-2013, 07:39 PM

Hey man, do you want to be besties? :D

InItForFitness
11-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Hey man, do you want to be besties? :D

Stranger danger!