PDA

View Full Version : Am I too old to start rugby at the age of 19? (srs)

PonyTrooper
10-26-2013, 02:23 AM
Am I too old to start rugby at the age of 19? I want to be a decent player, but there are guys who have been playing for 10 years, because they started at a young age.

BEASTMODE420
10-26-2013, 06:29 AM
What are your stats like?

Height weight 40 time what can you lift

You can learn the game but you can't teach speed size ect

NikoJan
10-26-2013, 06:39 AM
What level do you want to play at?

I mean if you have some natural talent then its semi possible to play semi professionally

edit: 140, 5'9...I have bad news for you bud

HWDominance
10-26-2013, 06:50 AM
What are your stats like?

Height weight 40 time what can you lift

You can learn the game but you can't teach speed size ect

Terrible advice, being a good athlete will help(but your metrics are awful) but is not a necessity, being mentally gifted will hold just as much if not more of an advantage.

Anyway, in terms of athleticism, agility is the most underrated essential in all sports, it is way more of an asset than pure speed.

Playing rugby for 10+ years will not give much of an advantage at the absolute basics over a beginner besides maybe awareness. It's more technical aspects like scrums/lineouts/positioning that you will have to learn and understand, best to do that before you start training with a club.

NikoJan
10-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Terrible advice, being a good athlete will help(but your metrics are awful) but is not a necessity, being mentally gifted will hold just as much if not more of an advantage.

Anyway, in terms of athleticism, agility is the most underrated essential in all sports, it is way more of an asset than pure speed.

Playing rugby for 10+ years will not give much of an advantage at the absolute basics over a beginner besides maybe awareness. It's more technical aspects like scrums/lineouts/positioning that you will have to learn and understand, best to do that before you start training with a club.

No..he's completely right and anyone who's played on a team would know that.

Jw9thwonder
10-26-2013, 07:30 AM
i started at 24..

won rookie of the year title

rhyfelwr
10-26-2013, 07:36 AM
No..he's completely right and anyone who's played on a team would know that.

Yeah because a guy that runs a 4.5 40, has a 40inch vert and a 2000lb big total yet can't catch a ball is going to be more valuable to a sports team than someone that can do what the sport requires them to do.

OP you're going to have a hard time in rugby just based upon your size. Most likely you'll be put into the position of Wing or maybe halfback. The best thing for you to do is work on your speed and agility and the fundamentals such as 1 on 1 tackling, catching the ball in a variety of ways. When offseason rolls around that'll be the time to really work towards getting bigger.

BEASTMODE420
10-26-2013, 07:50 AM

I didn't give him any advice lol

I just asked his stats bc we can automaticity tell him no if he's 5.2 120 lbs and has no speed.

Like any sport the biggest advantage you can have is your size and speed over your opponent. After that its all about becoming a student of the game.

NikoJan
10-26-2013, 08:24 AM
Yeah because a guy that runs a 4.5 40, has a 40inch vert and a 2000lb big total yet can't catch a ball is going to be more valuable to a sports team than someone that can do what the sport requires them to do.

OP you're going to have a hard time in rugby just based upon your size. Most likely you'll be put into the position of Wing or maybe halfback. The best thing for you to do is work on your speed and agility and the fundamentals such as 1 on 1 tackling, catching the ball in a variety of ways. When offseason rolls around that'll be the time to really work towards getting bigger.

Yeah, because those people exist...Because a coach is going to try and teach a guy to grow 5 inches and gain 50lbs instead of catching a ball...Thats why you see so many 50 year old line and play makers on the field fuking about.

What the hell are you talking about mate, have you ever played on a team?

stevedarsh
10-26-2013, 09:45 AM
yes, at 19 you have outlived your usefullness

HWDominance
10-26-2013, 10:40 AM
Yeah, because those people exist...Because a coach is going to try and teach a guy to grow 5 inches and gain 50lbs instead of catching a ball...Thats why you see so many 50 year old line and play makers on the field fuking about.

What the hell are you talking about mate, have you ever played on a team?

You are so fuking stupid my god, It's a waste of my precious time on Earth arguing with such an inferior being

Gobays
10-26-2013, 02:15 PM
You can start at any age it's an easy game to learn the basics once you start playing you will love it. You have to love physicality as it is a very aggressive game. I've played since I was 5 and still find myself learning every season. As long as you are fit you will be fine size isn't everything in rugby.