PDA

View Full Version : Why did the Bucs trade for Revis

waytoodeep03
10-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Revis is good but Revis is only good man to man. Bucs run tampa 2 which is zone all day err day.

This was a potato move. Bucs know what scheme they run. Theyve been running it forever. Its called the TAMPA 2 for crying out loud. Why get a player that doesnt match the scheme?

Backus21
10-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Revis is good but Revis is only good man to man. Bucs run tampa 2 which is zone all day err day.

This was a potato move. Bucs know what scheme they run. Theyve been running it forever. Its called the TAMPA 2 for crying out loud. Why get a player that doesnt match the scheme?

Idk, ask the Eagles

waytoodeep03
10-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Idk, ask the Eagles

Gm's goin full potato just off player name. This is why the Pats continue to win. They get guys that match the scheme

iamgenus
10-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Same sh*t that happened with Nnamdi.

Never understand why teams pay this big money for a guy and then make him play in a way which doesn't best show off his strengths.

scotyg
10-25-2013, 09:05 AM
they dont run the Tampa 2.

they run zone- cover 0, cover 1, cover 3, some cover 2 and quarters- and man (not enough man) and attack far more then a tampa scheme does.

chlaxman
10-25-2013, 09:07 AM

The Bucs don't run the Tampa 2...they do mostly run a zones, but not the Tampa 2 scheme.

joedirt87
10-25-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm pretty sure Tampa hasn't been a cover 2 team since Raheem Morris took over.

niknguyen
10-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Came in expecting op to question them playing revis in the zone, leaving satisfied

BunkMoreland
10-25-2013, 09:20 AM
schiano's refusal to adapt his system in anyway, to his best players' strengths- is a big reason that this organization is in shambles. he's stubborn, to a huge fault. he's going to keep stuffing that square peg into the round hole, and he thinks sooner or later its going to fit

sdballer5588
10-25-2013, 09:22 AM
schiano's refusal to adapt his system in anyway, to his best players' strengths- is a big reason that this organization is in shambles. he's stubborn, to a huge fault. he's going to keep stuffing that square peg into the round hole, and he thinks sooner or later its going to fit

Strong this.

It's straight up embarrassing to have Revis on your team and put him in zone like 70% of the time. Even worse when you're in a reasonably prime time game and they keep showcasing the retardation of your decision to play in said zone.

"well there's Revis with Smith, nope zone read"

niknguyen
10-25-2013, 09:25 AM
"well there's Revis with Smith, nope zone read"

Lol...this was my exact reaction on that first drive alone before I changed to the world series. "Lemme follow steve smith all around the field but go into zone" wtf

sdballer5588
10-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Lol...this was my exact reaction on that first drive alone before I changed to the world series. "Lemme follow steve smith all around the field but go into zone" wtf

The announcers were kinda unaware it seemed like.

Cuz they were highlighting the smith revis matchup only to realize that it wasn't any type of matchup except for a few plays, as Smith just runs directly OUT of Revis zone coverage into the middle of the field and makes an easy catch for 21 yards which was also his longest of the season.

Depressing remembering how good revis was when he was allowed to play to his strengths with a great defensive coach in rex. Wish Revis got traded to the fkn saints or something.

scotyg
10-25-2013, 09:30 AM

this. good coaches adapt their scheme to their players.

Trapstar4.4
10-25-2013, 09:31 AM
i do find it weird that you spend all of that money on a shut down guy, but dont give him the opportunity to do it. Most of our teams dont have a guy where we can say, "this side of the field is off limits, pick another spot"

you have to take advantage of that
then there is the concept of rolling coverage the other way. oh lawd, it makes for a damn good secondary

waytoodeep03
10-25-2013, 09:31 AM
The announcers were kinda unaware it seemed like.

Cuz they were highlighting the smith revis matchup only to realize that it wasn't any type of matchup except for a few plays, as Smith just runs directly OUT of Revis zone coverage into the middle of the field and makes an easy catch for 21 yards which was also his longest of the season.

Depressing remembering how good revis was when he was allowed to play to his strengths with a great defensive coach in rex. Wish Revis got traded to the fkn saints or something.

Alot of announcers and media arent realizing this. Deion of course realizes this since he is the GOAT.

They think revis regressed and isnt good any more which is not the case. Its the Bucs that have crippled him. I wish announcers would know more about the game they actually announce than spew bullsh*t

sdballer5588
10-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Alot of announcers and media arent realizing this. Deion of course realizes this since he is the GOAT.

They think revis regressed and isnt good any more which is not the case. Its the Bucs that have crippled him. I wish announcers would know more about the game they actually announce than spew bullsh*t

The thursday night announcers are never usually the best though, they seem to stutter and flop around sentences a lot without every really hitting a topic that matters.

Also definitely a season high on missaying which players did something or had a catch "Olson with the catch.... oh wait no Ginn" Like how the hell do you confuse those two?

Revis is also probably the 2nd or 3rd best cover back in the league IN MAN COVERAGE, you just forget because he looks stupid in a zone.

niknguyen
10-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Like the other guy said, it reminds me of asomugha.

Inb4 revis turns to a complete scrub like asomugha

Ecnewyx
10-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Like the other guy said, it reminds me of asomugha.

Inb4 revis turns to a complete scrub like asomugha

Is Nnamdi still scrubbing it up in SF?

niknguyen
10-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Is Nnamdi still scrubbing it up in SF?

Last I checked he was on the bench. But im not up to date with them.

Ecnewyx
10-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Last I checked he was on the bench. But im not up to date with them.

Damn. Fell off hard. Just searched for news on him.

There is not a clear role for Wright when the 49ers decide to create space for him on the 53-man roster. That roster spot could come at the expense of veteran cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, who has been a healthy scratch for the past several games.

http://fansided.com/2013/10/24/san-francisco-49ers-may-release-nnamdi-asomugha-clear-space-eric-wright/

From All-Pro, All-Decades team, considered the best corner in the NFL, to a healthy scratch and can't get on the field.

niknguyen
10-25-2013, 09:57 AM

http://fansided.com/2013/10/24/san-francisco-49ers-may-release-nnamdi-asomugha-clear-space-eric-wright/

Yeah bro, seemed like it was just yesterday that he was GOATing it up in Oakland. This was supposed to be the revival of his career in sf this year

chlaxman
10-25-2013, 10:00 AM
The thursday night announcers are never usually the best though, they seem to stutter and flop around sentences a lot without every really hitting a topic that matters.

Also definitely a season high on missaying which players did something or had a catch "Olson with the catch.... oh wait no Ginn" Like how the hell do you confuse those two?

Revis is also probably the 2nd or 3rd best cover back in the league IN MAN COVERAGE, you just forget because he looks stupid in a zone.

At least they weren't talking about Donald LaFell...

waytoodeep03
10-25-2013, 10:04 AM

From All-Pro, All-Decades team, considered the best corner in the NFL, to a healthy scratch and can't get on the field.

Damn im pretty sure the niners run man ALOT.

or not

NorrinRadd12
10-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Most red neck Buc fans wanted to give up the 2014 #1 for him instead of 2013

Ecnewyx
10-25-2013, 10:10 AM

or not

Should have just stayed in Oakland and gone to the Hall.

IraHays
10-25-2013, 10:35 AM
As stated, Bucs don't run Tampa 2.

But yeah, 16 mil to play zone half the time is potato.

karas
10-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Just FYI guise...

Revis played man against Steve Smith last night

IraHays
10-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Just FYI guise...

About 1/2 the time.

sdballer5588
10-25-2013, 10:43 AM
Just FYI guise...

About 1/2 the time.

Not even.

RonPaul2012
10-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Just FYI guise...

except the times smith caught the ball lol

scotyg
10-25-2013, 10:52 AM
As stated, Bucs don't run Tampa 2.

But yeah, 16 mil to play zone half the time is potato.

they play a lot of cover 3, which if the receiver is running sideline routes is essentially man.

IraHays
10-25-2013, 10:59 AM
they play a lot of cover 3, which if the receiver is running sideline routes is essentially man.

Which doesn't do anything to stop the opposing team from getting their #1 receiver away from Revis.

Trapstar4.4
10-25-2013, 11:10 AM
except the times smith caught the ball lol

Lol yep. Its so obvious. They kept showing revis having to let smith go, then boom first down, middle of the field

scotyg
10-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Which doesn't do anything to stop the opposing team from getting their #1 receiver away from Revis.

truth.

sdballer5588
10-25-2013, 11:14 AM

This means nothing. Smith ran away from revis every single time and caught the pass nowhere near him.

scotyg
10-25-2013, 11:20 AM
This means nothing. Smith ran away from revis every single time and caught the pass nowhere near him. i understand that, but it doesnt make what i said wrong.

13sBRAHH
10-25-2013, 11:23 AM
the best part is that when Smith was actually guarded man to man, Revis was always getting a PD of some sort.

joedirt87
10-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Most red neck Buc fans wanted to give up the 2014 #1 for him instead of 2013

Given what the expectations were for this year, giving away a pick in the 20+ range versus the 13th pick didnt sound so bad.

Destructodave
10-25-2013, 12:03 PM
U cant win without at least a marginally decent QB in this league. Watching poverty teams continue to trade for positions other than QB always makes me chuckle. Just blow your wad on a decent QB. Look at KC. Alex Smith is a decent QB. Hes not the greatest, but hes good. What happens? They are 7-0. Now, they have an amazing defense, but if they had some other scrub behind center, they wouldn't even be in contention, again. So when I see these teams trade for defensive players, and running backs, it just makes me chuckle.

iamgenus
10-25-2013, 12:28 PM

or not

A lot more than Philly did but he just didn't perform that well. Tho honestly when he did play it looked like coverage wise he wasn't that bad but had a bunch of bad penalties and made some big mistakes in tackling. Tramaine Brock has made him look like crap in comparison. Nnamdi actually has the 2nd best completion % of passes completed against him this year based on PFF(tho that's misleading sometimes)

IraHays
10-25-2013, 12:33 PM
U cant win without at least a marginally decent QB in this league. Watching poverty teams continue to trade for positions other than QB always makes me chuckle. Just blow your wad on a decent QB. Look at KC. Alex Smith is a decent QB. Hes not the greatest, but hes good. What happens? They are 7-0. Now, they have an amazing defense, but if they had some other scrub behind center, they wouldn't even be in contention, again. So when I see these teams trade for defensive players, and running backs, it just makes me chuckle.

I bet most teams would have taken Freeman over Alex Smith at the end of last season.

NYSackExchange
10-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Such is life when you don't have the GOAT defensive coach.

waytoodeep03
10-25-2013, 01:00 PM
A lot more than Philly did but he just didn't perform that well. Tho honestly when he did play it looked like coverage wise he wasn't that bad but had a bunch of bad penalties and made some big mistakes in tackling. Tramaine Brock has made him look like crap in comparison. Nnamdi actually has the 2nd best completion % of passes completed against him this year based on PFF(tho that's misleading sometimes)

But he is on the scratch list.

Destructodave
10-25-2013, 01:17 PM
I bet most teams would have taken Freeman over Alex Smith at the end of last season.

Lol why? Alex Smith's last game befor he got hurt he was 18 of 19. He was 6-2 before his concussion. He was winning. 6-2, just came off a 13-3 season. Man people's hate of Alex Smith boggles my mind; fuking has been winning for 3 years straight.

frezKo
10-25-2013, 01:27 PM
bucs wanted the worst secondary in the league.

iamgenus
10-25-2013, 01:46 PM
But he is on the scratch list.

Oh he's most likely getting cut as soon as Wright is activated but he hasn't been total dog sh*t. Just very mediocre.

jassako
10-25-2013, 02:56 PM
LOL at Bucs fans pre-season thinking they'd have the GOAT defense with Revis Island and Goldson....strong potato coaches gonna potato

niknguyen
10-25-2013, 02:58 PM
LOL at Bucs fans pre-season thinking they'd have the GOAT defense with Revis Island and Goldson....strong potato coaches gonna potato

Goldson is a pos anyway. Couldn't cover my grandpa if his life depended on it

kethnaab
10-25-2013, 03:50 PM
This is why the Pats continue to win. They change the scheme to match their guys

slight, but relevant and important, adjustment here.

scotyg
10-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Goldson is a pos anyway. Couldn't cover my grandpa if his life depended on it

we tried to tell em

sickkuntj
10-25-2013, 04:25 PM
so is it Sherman>>>>Revis now talent-wise.

niknguyen
10-25-2013, 04:43 PM
so is it Sherman>>>>Revis now talent-wise.

Between coming off of acl injury and being in the wrong scheme, there no real way to tell. Sherman is being used correctly while revis isn't. But I'm pretty sure sherman isn't better than him by that much if anything

DrSlam
10-25-2013, 04:49 PM
http://nfl.si.com/2013/10/20/tampa-bay-defense-atlanta-falcons/

This about sums it up. Its lulzy as hell that fans actually showed up

IraHays
10-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Lol why? Alex Smith's last game befor he got hurt he was 18 of 19. He was 6-2 before his concussion. He was winning. 6-2, just came off a 13-3 season. Man people's hate of Alex Smith boggles my mind; fuking has been winning for 3 years straight.

Take it easy, I'm not hating on Alex Smith, just making the point that it wasn't like Tampa had no QB going into this season and they blew everything on a cb. Freeman, statistically, had a good year and there was not a lot of reason to think he wouldn't improve more and be a decent QB.

IraHays
10-25-2013, 05:14 PM

Strong hindsight. I'll await the link to your preseason that the Bucs d would suck.

niknguyen
10-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Strong hindsight. I'll await the link to your preseason that the Bucs d would suck.

Go search for my post in the "bucs will take the division" thread. I said multiple times only time willtell if theyre as giid as they are on paper

IraHays
10-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Go search for my post in the "bucs will take the division" thread. I said multiple times only time willtell if theyre as giid as they are on paper

Who started that regarded thread. Lol. Ima bucs fan, but oh lord, take division with no depth and a crappy coach. Haha