PDA

View Full Version : Is there money to be mad in AAU basketball?

jumpman18
10-24-2013, 09:24 PM
I hear that the AAU head coaches get money from college recruiters. how much do you think the top level AAU coaches make?

quarters
10-24-2013, 09:27 PM
It's not that they only get money but they get assistant coaching jobs and taken care of by their players that make it. No estimate on how much they can make to sway a player a certain direction though...

Suit
10-24-2013, 09:38 PM
The above of being assistant coaches and taken care of by players etc. Is false.

AAU coaches get money to put into the heads of kids to go to college X Y or Z.

That is about it.

You will only make money coaching at an Elite organization, it is far to late to try and start one on your own really. Unless you take the second rate elite players, i.e. The 2nd best kids or the best at weaker schools.

Oakland Soldiers
CIA Bounce
California Supreme
E1T1
Boo Williams
Chicago Meanstreets
Texas Elite
BABC
Spieice Indy Heat
Mac Irvin Fire
Team Final
PHPS

etc.

Those make money, have huge sponsorship etc.

You make more money by over-charging for your time. A lot of AAU teams, like Oakland Soldiers, cost $1,000+ to play.

The AAU team I am trying to coach on, which I will get on it, charges $400 every 3 months and I can be a 1 on 1 coach, charging anywhere from $20 to $100/hr.

Sources:
High School Basketball coach of 5 years.
AAU coach of 2 years.
Networking with Basketball coaches and players for 3 years.

jumpman18
10-24-2013, 09:39 PM
The above of being assistant coaches and taken care of by players etc. Is false.

That is about it.

You will only make money coaching at an Elite organization, it is far to late to try and start one on your own really. Unless you take the second rate elite players, i.e. The 2nd best kids or the best at weaker schools.

Oakland Soldiers
CIA Bounce
California Supreme
E1T1
Boo Williams
Chicago Meanstreets
Texas Elite
BABC
Spieice Indy Heat
Mac Irvin Fire
Team Final
PHPS

etc.

You make more money by over-charging for your time. A lot of AAU teams, like Oakland Soldiers, cost $1,000+ to play.

The AAU team I am trying to coach on, which I will get on it, charges $400 every 3 months and I can be a 1 on 1 coach, charging anywhere from $20 to $100/hr.

Sources:
AAU coach of 2 years.
Dont forget about Howard Pulley Bruh

quarters
10-24-2013, 09:41 PM

That is about it.

Oakland Soldiers
CIA Bounce
California Supreme
E1T1
Boo Williams
Chicago Meanstreets
Texas Elite
BABC
Spieice Indy Heat
Mac Irvin Fire
Team Final
PHPS

etc.

Sources:
AAU coach of 2 years.
I'm not familiar with the subject at all, just relaying what jalen rose said on a podcast. I'm sure a few make bank though.

Suit
10-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Dont forget about Howard Pulley Bruh

I was just naming off the top of my head. Howard Pulley wasn't big this past year in the NEYBL

I'm not familiar with the subject at all, just relaying what jalen rose said on a podcast. I'm sure a few make bank though.

Jalen might have done this, but most don't do it and almost none of them become assistant coaches to said college.

Only way this would happen is if it went down like this...

Jabari Parker: "No Coach K, I wont play for Duke. Only way I will come is if you hire my AAU coach."

That is probably the only time ever. lol

The dude coaching the Oakland Soldier Elite team has been there for a long, long, long time. But like I said, hes coaching "ELITE" and they have big sponsors, tons of money and it costs an arm and a leg to play for them. lol

NickDaQuik
10-24-2013, 09:49 PM

That is about it.

Oakland Soldiers
CIA Bounce
California Supreme
E1T1
Boo Williams
Chicago Meanstreets
Texas Elite
BABC
Spieice Indy Heat
Mac Irvin Fire
Team Final
PHPS

etc.

Sources:
AAU coach of 2 years.

my bro coached AAU this summer, he did pretty well (top 5) at the Adidas super 64 in Indy ...

he told me aau coaches are paying kids to play for their teams now a days lulz

jumpman18
10-24-2013, 09:53 PM
I was just naming off the top of my head. Howard Pulley wasn't big this past year in the NEYBL

Jalen might have done this, but most don't do it and almost none of them become assistant coaches to said college.

Only way this would happen is if it went down like this...

Jabari Parker: "No Coach K, I wont play for Duke. Only way I will come is if you hire my AAU coach."

That is probably the only time ever. lol

The dude coaching the Oakland Soldier Elite team has been there for a long, long, long time. But like I said, hes coaching "ELITE" and they have big sponsors, tons of money and it costs an arm and a leg to play for them. lol
so how would a poor kid who was highly ranked pay for AAU? would they just let him on for free?

Suit
10-24-2013, 09:54 PM
my bro coached AAU this summer, he did pretty well (top 5) at the Adidas super 64 in Indy ...

he told me aau coaches are paying kids to play for their teams now a days lulz

What bracket and team? Will check out highlights/10?

Let me fix that...

AAU Organizations are using their over-priced cost to play in order to give elite players money so they elite will play for them, thus making more money in the long run.

or

AAU Organizations are using their sponsorship money to buy elite players, thus giving more exposure to said sponsors.

Either way.

Suit
10-24-2013, 09:56 PM
so how would a poor kid who was highly ranked pay for AAU? would they just let him on for free?

I know a few have ways for parents to avoid costs, i.e. score keeping at tournaments.

But if someone is really a 5 high ranked elite player, they will find a way to pay. Always.

You'd be surprised at the amount of "poor kids" who can come up with $500 for shoes, but not $200 for a fee.

If someone really wants to do it and play, they will pay.

NickDaQuik
10-24-2013, 10:54 PM
What bracket and team? Will check out highlights/10?

Let me fix that...
AAU Organizations are using their over-priced cost to play in order to give elite players money so they elite will play for them, thus making more money in the long run.
or
AAU Organizations are using their sponsorship money to buy elite players, thus giving more exposure to said sponsors.

Either way.

i think that was it, its was something about sponsorship and having enough opportunities for the kids to go to good camps affiliated with that team/sponsorship, but what you said makes more sense.

but yeah my brother never had to pay when he had play, he was considered top 50 in the state

this team might be it, i'm 90% sure (blue team).. this tournament they got knocked out early tho.. at the invitational they got final four in the 17u bracket with a 14u?15u?freshman team. My other brother took off for the summer, his 17u mustangs team had a lot of D1 players last year.

FeIujRd353U

hopefully one day I can help fund an AAU team, basically turn the system the way oversea soccer teams do

2pacalypto
10-24-2013, 11:54 PM
kind of in the spirit of this thread, highly recommend reading this book:

http://media.npr.org/assets/bakertaylor/covers/p/play-their-hearts-out/9780345508614_custom-s6-c30.jpg?t=1329248137

Gooner89
10-25-2013, 12:08 AM
My dad was an assistant AAU coach for NBA players such as Kris Humphries and Joel Pryzbilla before he retired. He wouldn't talk about the recruiting process whenever I tried to talk about it. Seemed extremely shady. (Srs)

tdnick
10-25-2013, 12:25 AM
My dad was an assistant AAU coach for NBA players such as Kris Humphries and Joel Pryzbilla before he retired. He wouldn't talk about the recruiting process whenever I tried to talk about it. Seemed extremely shady. (Srs)

Your dad wouldn't tell you? Wut

Gooner89
10-25-2013, 12:47 AM

My mom and him were both alums. I was a huge MN fan and wanted Humphries to come really bad but my dad never seemed to be worried he wouldn't sign. I asked him about multiple players from 98-06 and he just brushed it off. Gave a strong feeling he or the head coaches had been paid to steer/push certain players in certain directions. ``

Suit
10-25-2013, 01:12 AM

I know what you mean.

No coach in the history of anything will ever tell you how he got X player to go to Y school or X player to join Y organization etc. 100% srs.

I have talked to plenty of recruiters when they come to scout and all of them will say NOTHING about who they are looking at, how they found out about the player they are looking at, why said player is committing. Seriously.

I have talked to;

Nebraska Football recruiter. Kid from Sheldon High School was supposed to go there, big kid, receiver. Nebraska dude wouldn't say anything, I knew who he was looking at. The kid ended up at UCLA.

Arco Arena during playoffs I have talked to:

UCLA
CAL
Ohio State
Arizona (Wildcats) (For Aaron Gordon)
Stanford
Washington
Oregon
Oregon State

and a few others that escape me.

Recently talked to New Mexico and UC Davis on football fields at my old HS and at my current CC.

Neither would say who, but when I said their names they smiled and kinda nodded.

But they wouldn't say anything else.

Suit
10-25-2013, 01:21 AM
i think that was it, its was something about sponsorship and having enough opportunities for the kids to go to good camps affiliated with that team/sponsorship, but what you said makes more sense.

but yeah my brother never had to pay when he had play, he was considered top 50 in the state

this team might be it, i'm 90% sure (blue team).. this tournament they got knocked out early tho.. at the invitational they got final four in the 17u bracket with a 14u?15u?freshman team. My other brother took off for the summer, his 17u mustangs team had a lot of D1 players last year.

[youtube]

hopefully one day I can help fund an AAU team, basically turn the system the way oversea soccer teams do

Nice!

Also funding your own AAU team is not difficult at all. Start small, make a name.

Start with middle school or younger. If you have a little cousin or nephew or something that likes basketball that is the best.

Put him and his friends on a team and you just coach them. Teach them the skills, the knowledge etc. Keep them together for as long as possible.

All YOU have to do is figure out the total cost. Uniforms (Under Armour = cheapest), average cost of tournaments, how many you want to go to etc. Totals, realistically only come out to around $200 for everything.

Like $50 for reversible uniforms.
If you search hard enough you can find cheap tournaments. I took my team out to the bay twice to Alameda for two tournaments. 4 games in 1 day for $95.
AAU cards = like $10.

BUT if you have to rent a gym to practice in once or twice a week, like 1.5 hours (where I am at) is like $110.

kind of in the spirit of this thread, highly recommend reading this book:

[imgedia.npr.org/assets/bakertaylor/covers/p/play-their-hearts-out/9780345508614_custom-s6-c30.jpg?t=1329g]

That's the thing about the next LeBron kid right?

I have seen this a lot. So much pressure on one kid to do SO MUCH, the kid breaks and quits because he isn't living up to the expectations.

NickDaQuik
10-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Nice!

Also funding your own AAU team is not difficult at all. Start small, make a name.

Start with middle school or younger. If you have a little cousin or nephew or something that likes basketball that is the best.

Put him and his friends on a team and you just coach them. Teach them the skills, the knowledge etc. Keep them together for as long as possible.

All YOU have to do is figure out the total cost. Uniforms (Under Armour = cheapest), average cost of tournaments, how many you want to go to etc. Totals, realistically only come out to around $200 for everything.

Like $50 for reversible uniforms.
If you search hard enough you can find cheap tournaments. I took my team out to the bay twice to Alameda for two tournaments. 4 games in 1 day for $95.
AAU cards = like $10.

BUT if you have to rent a gym to practice in once or twice a week, like 1.5 hours (where I am at) is like $110.

yeah thats exactly the plan, but essentially im not coaching

just plan to help fund and start up a aau team when the time comes.. i'm pretty young so thats like years away

Suit
10-25-2013, 01:55 AM
yeah thats exactly the plan, but essentially im not coaching

just plan to help fund and start up a aau team when the time comes.. i'm pretty young so thats like years away

I'm 24.

Started coaching at 19

Started up my own AAU team 2 years ago, at 21/22.

It is a lot more trouble than it is worth... srs

jumpman18
10-25-2013, 09:37 AM

That's actually really interesting. I'm also a Minnesota brah so I'm kinda aware of both those players highschool career and there AAU teams. I wonder what's going on behind the scenes of tyus jones recruitment.

Suit
10-25-2013, 12:49 PM
That's actually really interesting. I'm also a Minnesota brah so I'm kinda aware of both those players highschool career and there AAU teams. I wonder what's going on behind the scenes of tyus jones recruitment.

The world may never know.