PDA

View Full Version : Are Sweeps/Tosses/ End Around leads low percentage plays?

Neg_Train
10-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Why even bother with them?

BRB getting 1-2 yards if lucky.

Usually what happens is RB/WR gets chased out of bounds for little to no gain..

Isn't it better to just Power run?

TTexasTT
10-24-2013, 10:03 PM
depends on who is doing it... and against who.

CravinMoorehead
10-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Literally haven't seen a HB pitch in ages, weird.

westbigballin
10-24-2013, 10:17 PM
If you can get blocking that seals off the linebackers and potential safety help, and have good receiver(s) blocking, AND a fast RB it can be very effective
End arounds take too long to develop so blocks break down especially at the NFL level (faster and smarter corners), even with the fastest WRs

But that's asking for a lot. Kinda related to why the option (well the original option... not this new read-option) doesn't work in the NFL.

It CAN still work if a team pulls it out of nowhere though. e.g. Peyton Manning and his rushing option TD a few weeks ago

In Madden I ONLY run off-tackle or HB pitches ALWAYS to the RIGHT though.

jacklambert58
10-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Defensive players are getting just too fast to sweep nowadays. The bubble screen has effectively replaced sweeps as the functional equivalent of challenging a defenses boundaries in the modern game.

quarters
10-24-2013, 10:44 PM
On madden, semi-srs. Obviously it's more of a gimmick play that gets teams off balanced, but if you have receivers that can block real well and a fast ball carrier then they work real well.

westbigballin
10-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Defensive players are getting just too fast to sweep nowadays. The bubble screen has effectively replaced sweeps as the functional equivalent of challenging a defenses boundaries in the modern game.

This and using crossing receivers as a pick really is all there is now. Even then teams are adjusting FAST (see Colts D against Broncos receivers...)

Any new bells and whistles in a playbook get shut down or become a lot less effective by the start of the next season pretty easily. Options, wildcat offense, read-option, etc.

SpiderSense
10-25-2013, 12:04 AM
I'd imagine sweeps and tosses are low percentage compared to running up the middle, but I think they're still necessary at least to keep the defense honest.

When I say low percentage meaning they'll probably only run X amount of sweeps/tosses per Y amount of runs between the tackles.

Fahnestock
10-25-2013, 12:37 AM
They're purely constraint plays in the NFL. Mostly for the MLB/backside OLB so they can't read guard pull and automatically attack off-guard to off-tackle. Toss can alternatively be run using an outside zone/stretch scheme as a quicker developing variant. End-arounds serve a different purpose of slowing backside pursuit.