PDA

View Full Version : Vikings/Giants drew a higher rating then game 1

scotyg
10-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Lmao I was like lmao

Monday night’s Vikings-Giants game was about as dreadful as the NFL gets. But even a lousy NFL game does better ratings than just about anything else on American television.

The latest demonstration of that fact is pointed out by our friend at Hardball Talk, who note that the Vikings-Giants game on ESPN on Monday night had a higher overnight rating than Game One of the World Series on FOX on Wednesday night. (Vikings-Giants had a 9.5 overnight rating, World Series Game One had a 9.4.)

We’ve basically reached the point where anything the NFL puts on television is going to do great ratings. Major League Baseball, meanwhile, struggles to draw large national audiences, although many individual baseball teams still do very well in their local TV markets.

The strong ratings are cause for celebration from the NFL’s owners, but the recent slate of prime time games doesn’t give NFL fans much to celebrate. We’ve had some nationally televised stinkers this season, and it doesn’t get a lot better with the .500 Panthers visiting the winless Buccaneers tonight. Thursday Night Football generally draws lower ratings than Monday Night Football, and tonight’s Panthers-Bucs broadcast will probably be beaten in the ratings by World Series Game Two.

Ecnewyx
10-24-2013, 12:09 PM
This probably doesn't include the people who turned off the game in the middle due to disgust. Or from being sleepy.

Or people like me who are angry that we watched the whole thing and would unwatch it if we could.

drock2190
10-24-2013, 12:20 PM
This probably doesn't include the people who turned off the game in the middle due to disgust. Or from being sleepy.

Or people like me who are angry that we watched the whole thing and would unwatch it if we could.

But.....your part of the Eli Manning crew

ShadowBarkley
10-24-2013, 12:21 PM

I had fantasy players in that game and I couldnt even bear to watch it.

Impurityz
10-24-2013, 12:21 PM
baseball is boring....

no surprise

Ecnewyx
10-24-2013, 12:25 PM
But.....your part of the Eli Manning crew

That's why I watched the whole thing and the postgame and read all the immediate interview transcripts from both teams and stayed up until 2:00 am only to stumble into work the next morning at 6:00 bleary-eyed with a copy of the Post and Daily News to read the recaps and hating myself.

neighborr
10-24-2013, 12:32 PM
This is the most entertaining baseball moment of the past 4 decades

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Dr1aT2UQzPc/URQPuatnMoI/AAAAAAAAbv0/PZ260P7RHKI/s1600/1.gif

Antonio519
10-24-2013, 12:32 PM
This is the most entertaining baseball moment of the past 4 decades

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Dr1aT2UQzPc/URQPuatnMoI/AAAAAAAAbv0/PZ260P7RHKI/s1600/1.gif

fukin lol

sad part is, you're probably right

MCrow
10-24-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm a fan of baseball but if we're being real here, baseball games last far too long and right now there are not many (if any) transcendent stars at the moment.

Football is also way more easy to be a casual fan of, since you have 16 games (maybe a few more if you're lucky). All you have to do to be a fan of an NFL team is get in front of a TV for 3.5 hrs once per week and you'll know 90% of what is going on with your team.

In baseball, if you only watch once a week you probably won't know jackchit about the team unless you read up a bunch online the rest of the week.

You would think this WS would get better ratings though, the Cards are one of the greatest franchises with the greatest fanbase in baseball and the Red Sox is also one of the greatest franchises in a huge market.

Future24
10-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Fantasy football and sports betting is why the NFL gets huge rating.

Realism
10-24-2013, 12:57 PM
However, in a moral victory over the NFL, the game barely drew a higher total viewership. 14.4 million viewers for World Series Game 1 compared to 13.2 million for Vikings-Giants.

The game peaked in the second inning, when Pete Kozma's unfathomable error led to a big inning from Boston. Fox's rating peaked at 11.2 during that time frame. Things dipped from there, as the Sox rolled easily to a Game 1 blowout behind the work of Jon Lester.

It's hard to maintain ratings when a team jumps out to an early lead. A 5-0 lead in baseball is pretty substantial considering the Red Sox average 5.2 runs a game and the Cardinals average 4.7.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/october/world-series-game-1-ratings-can-t-beat-giants-vikings.html

solidus2k3
10-24-2013, 01:01 PM
rip MLB

therightfulking
10-24-2013, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't call that game dreadful...

Doober4
10-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Fantasy football is the difference.

gotrice33
10-24-2013, 01:31 PM
i foresee soccer surpassing baseball in the next 10-20 years (srs)

TTexasTT
10-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Who could blame people for wanting to see Freeman play. It cant be denied, his play what historic.

cor030
10-24-2013, 01:45 PM
why does this matter?

ShweezyBTFO
10-24-2013, 01:46 PM

you're a braindead moron if you believe this.

NYSackExchange
10-24-2013, 01:46 PM
why does this matter?
Because no one is allowed to like a sport more than another sport!!!

cor030
10-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Because no one is allowed to like a sport more than another sport!!!

I'm not sure why NFL fans are so proud that a bunch of fantasy football phaggots, bandwagon douchebags, "let's go *insert team namessssssssssssssssssssssss*" bitches, etc inflate their ratings.

Cool. NFL is more popular than baseball. Lol.

gotrice33
10-24-2013, 01:56 PM
you're a braindead moron if you believe this.
Quality insult

cor030
10-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Quality insult

there is virtually no fuking chance of that happening

zero

The_Albatross
10-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Tim McCarver.

Would rather listen to baseball on the radio than watch it on tv and have to hear that fukstick yap for four hours.

Future24
10-24-2013, 02:12 PM
rip MLBYou are aware baseball makes more and more money every year?

houtexans23
10-24-2013, 04:29 PM

90 minutes of a game ending 2-1> 5 hours of a game ending 4-3

baseball is boring as phuck, unless you just stick to watching the highlights on sportscenter

MCrow
10-24-2013, 04:32 PM
90 minutes of a game ending 2-1> 5 hours of a game ending 4-3

baseball is boring as phuck, unless you just stick to watching the highlights on sportscenter

Well, MLS gets better attendence and local ratings where they have both and MLS team and an MLB team the ratings are pretty close. Not to say the MLS is going to beat out MLB any time soon but it is gaining on them.

RonPaul2012
10-24-2013, 04:34 PM
freeman is why

sdballer5588
10-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Baseball will continue to die as the older generation dies. Srs.

MCrow
10-24-2013, 04:50 PM

I think that could be the case. I think people about my age may have been that last generation that actually played pickup baseball games with two full teams on regular basis as kids. Granted, that could be said of football and other sports as well since everything is so organized these days but I think for baseball it is more important because it used to be every kid played baseball be it organized, wiffleball, or pickup games.

Not to mention people are not patient enough anymore to learn how to enjoy pitching duel between two slow working pitchers.

cor030
10-24-2013, 05:02 PM

Disagree..

Is it as popular as NFL? Not even close. NBA ratings are significantly better, too.

But it is in no way dying. As future said it continues to make more and more money. If it was dying Fox/espn/etc wouldn't be dropping BILLIONS on billions on TV rights.

Majority of fans I know are around my age and same goes for on this forum.

I don't give a fuk if ratings get beat by football or basketball. I enjoy it and that's all that matters. I will say that suggesting ****ing soccer will replace the big 3 sports in the US is all kinds of potato.

sdballer5588
10-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Disagree..

Is it as popular as NFL? Not even close. NBA ratings are significantly better, too.

But it is in no way dying. As future said it continues to make more and more money. If it was dying Fox/espn/etc wouldn't be dropping BILLIONS on billions on TV rights.

Majority of fans I know are around my age and same goes for on this forum.

I don't give a fuk if ratings get beat by football or basketball. I enjoy it and that's all that matters. I will say that suggesting ****ing soccer will replace the big 3 sports in the US is all kinds of potato.

It's not surprising that you would say that, as a baseball fan. I', just stating the obvious. Baseball is an old man's sport. I mean holy fukk man, the hall of fame situation is the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen, and it's because OLD WRITERS don't want the steroid era players to be in the "sacred" hall of fame.

It's embarrassing. Baseball may not "die" sure, but being the 3rd or 4th most popular sport in the US? You might as well be dead.

Profitability is not the same as commercial success.

scotyg
10-24-2013, 05:07 PM
http://0.media.sportspickle.cvcdn.com/45/66/a8637ce505eda5b675b5f1aff3032800.jpg

Vitamin0
10-24-2013, 05:08 PM
It's really no surprise that NFL >>>>