PDA

View Full Version : Will the MLS ever be big?

henryk21
10-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Will the MLS ever be as big as premier league, la liga and serie a?
Just curious, since a lot of people follow those leagues but don't follow MLS. Would be fun seeing big names coming over to play here. Only dreams now I guess.

airdog93
10-23-2013, 11:38 AM
will euroleague/china league basketball ever be as popular as NBA?

no

mtb4life95
10-23-2013, 11:40 AM
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1889/kgfo.jpg

13sBRAHH
10-23-2013, 11:51 AM
nope.

FMCMuscle
10-23-2013, 11:57 AM
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll252/st00gey/mj-laughing.gif

PureCardio
10-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Soccer is growing at a steady rate in the US, and if/when American/Canadian clubs can pay players more than they can make in Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, the MLS will be much bigger. I could see the MLS getting to the size of the Eredivisie or Russian Permier League; so still a feeder league, but certainly not a joke.

travellingbrah
10-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Yes, the foundations are there. It's just going to take time now. Long way to go, but I'm certain the MLS will eventually see the full extent of soccer's growth in America. As of now it hasn't even tapped into half of the soccer fans that already exist in the US.

jeff_vangundy
10-23-2013, 02:03 PM
the mls to me reeks of cheesiness and imitation when compared to other football leagues. the mascots are lame, the cheers unoriginal (srs i believe that we will win is the stupidest thing ever), theres no sport culture connected with football here, unlike NCAAF, NCAAB, NFL,MLB,NHL

i just think its a pipe dream

ShweezyBTFO
10-23-2013, 02:39 PM
no because america wasn't founded on a monarch tradition. Soccer moms are doing their best to try to instill that tradition back into america but if we as citizens care about our country then we won't let this nonsense happen.

UsernameTaken
10-23-2013, 02:47 PM
hell no, for many reasons

Howiester
10-23-2013, 03:01 PM
No, because poverty ball will never be the most popular sport in the US like it is where those upper tier leagues are located.

Babalu1
10-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Anyone have an figures regarding attendance numbers at MLS matches? The stadiums usually look quite full.

ShweezyBTFO
10-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Anyone have an figures regarding attendance numbers at MLS matches? The stadiums usually look quite full.

it's all treason to me

The_Albatross
10-23-2013, 03:51 PM
no because it will never be a popular avenue for betting in the United States. Same reason why hockey isn't more popular here. Too many in season alternatives on which to make wagers.

travellingbrah
10-23-2013, 04:46 PM
the mls to me reeks of cheesiness and imitation when compared to other football leagues. the mascots are lame, the cheers unoriginal (srs i believe that we will win is the stupidest thing ever), theres no sport culture connected with football here, unlike NCAAF, NCAAB, NFL,MLB,NHL

i just think its a pipe dream

What about the millions of people in America who play soccer. That's a soccer culture right there.

travellingbrah
10-23-2013, 04:47 PM

18,400 with one week left to play...

ShweezyBTFO
10-23-2013, 06:27 PM
no because it will never be a popular avenue for betting in the United States. Same reason why hockey isn't more popular here. Too many in season alternatives on which to make wagers.

this too. not enough commercial breaks for live betting either.

henryk21
10-23-2013, 06:32 PM
18,400 with one week left to play...

Srs? So an nba game almost has it much attendance as an MLS game? Da fuk

Big7Ben86
10-23-2013, 07:11 PM
but david beckham saved soccer in america bro

daisbest
10-23-2013, 08:53 PM
yeah if it werent for beckham we wouldnt even know that it was a pro sport, in the u.s only kids and mexicans play soccer...srs

i dont mind soccer but it will NEVER be bigger than NFL,MLB,NHL,NBA in the u.s

FleeceJohnson
10-23-2013, 09:16 PM
I could see the MLS getting to the size of the Eredivisie or Russian Permier League; so still a feeder league, but certainly not a joke.

Major League Soccer is the seventh best soccer league in the world, according to Sporting Intelligence.

The survey of world leagues takes into account attendance, finances, goals, competitiveness, caliber of players and managers, stadiums and success in continental competitions, according to ProSoccer Talk.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865578830/MLS-ranked-7th-best-soccer-league-in-the-world-by-Sporting-Intelligence.html

Antonio519
10-23-2013, 11:00 PM
Everyone seemed to be into it during the last world cup, even the womens world cup lol...

I think it'll gain popularity after brasil, but It won't ever be on par with the big NFL,NBA, MLB

BullBoy8
10-23-2013, 11:21 PM
No. And the biggest reason is the Salary cap. They need to take it away if they want it to get bigger. Big name stars arent gonna come to the USA to play for 3-5 mil when they make 10-20 mil in europe. Or at least that is what Thierry Henry said, which I agree with.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/soccer/story/Thierry-Henry-Salary-cap-keeps-MLS-behind-Europe-63424212

BullBoy8
10-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Everyone seemed to be into it during the last world cup, even the womens world cup lol...

I think it'll gain popularity after brasil, but It won't ever be on par with the big NFL,NBA, MLB

What is funny is the 94 world cup in America is still the most popular/most watched world cup ever. (Im pretty sure) That is why FIFA is rigged and sent the future WCs to Qatar and Russia. They had to get paid of, because the WC would have been best in America. Hope we can get 2026.

eyebrowbrah
10-23-2013, 11:25 PM
only if they get of stupid names like la galaxy, seattle sounders.

real madrid, chelsea, psg, bayern. so much more aesthetic

Bezzz
10-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Theres nothing to play for here. In competitive leagues in Europe you face the battle of fighting off teams for your best players, relegation ( i.e if u suck u drop a division and lose $$), big cups and its at the top level. Here in America is where you find failed academy products or very unskillful players with whack hair, with salary cap and legit trades I'm pretty sure...

This weekend is a massive match, Real Madrid vs Barcelona.

ShweezyBTFO
10-23-2013, 11:28 PM

It will continue to grow in popularity as incidents of treason continue to climb.

MajesticLion
10-23-2013, 11:30 PM
It will take another generation to fully bloom. As big as other leagues? Depends on how the money shifts around and who's decisive enough to stick with it throughout the inevitable antics from the NFL/MLB/NBA hegemony. A lot of pieces would have to be moved into place but it's doable.

MEGAMANLET
10-24-2013, 12:02 AM
Will always be the 4th most popular behind football, blacksketball, and boreball.

but its gaining. could be on par with 2/3rd english divisions or the liga portugesa

spillmouse
10-24-2013, 01:16 AM
Will never be on par with those leagues , although it is on a steady incline.

On par with the championship in England , still not the greatest football.

Coming from an MLS supporter myself

EvilChicken
10-24-2013, 02:15 AM
I think it'll be big enough to get more decent stars to want to come here and play but it won't be as big as european leagues or bigger than the NFL or NBA. The NHL has been around a long time and it's gotten kind of big but still not at the level of the NFL, NBA, or even the declining MLB. Too many Americans are closed minded.

I do support MLS and my team does great but I don't see it surpassing the other leagues, at least not in my lifetime.

FleeceJohnson
10-24-2013, 01:32 PM
They need to add "FC" to every club to get as big as european clubs (not srs)

MCrow
10-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Not sure, but it seems like it has potential to get the same ratings some day.

Considering the MLS is only 20 years old, EPL (or some form of) has been around since 1888, La Liga since 1929, Bundisliga 1963, Serie A since 1898, Ligue 1 since 1932... so not really a good league to compare to.

MLS Attendence is on par with Ligue 1, Eredivisie and Football League Championship.

MLS is getting ratings close to the same as MLB and NCAA Basketball in markets with all three.

I think that we will start seeing more attendence in the future as more teams get soccer specific stadiums, meaning local markets are investing in MLS teams. SJ is getting a new stadium in 2015, DC in 2016 and the new NY team will have another Soccer specific stadiums.

I know the Wilfs really want to get a a team here up in MN at some point as well and a stadium would likely have to be built for that.

Overall, for a 20 year old league it is doing very well. Attendence and ratings are both trending up, the quality of soccer keeps getting better.

I think if you give the MLS another, 30 years like Bundisliga has and it could be on similar or close level. This assumes that it continues to grow like it has over the first 20 years. The good thing is that here in the US (If you are a soccer fan) Soccer as a whole is gaining popularity while sports like Hockey and Baseball are declining so there should be plenty of market for the MLS to grow into.

goodcupcakes
11-12-2013, 03:09 PM
We need relegation for better incentives. There is no MLS team in the dirty south. Yet bush league cities like Salt Lake have an MLS team. wtf is that

Silverbacks had a shot at being 1st this weekend in 2nd division and blew it. womp womp.

Antonio519
11-12-2013, 03:49 PM
We need relegation for better incentives. There is no MLS team in the dirty south. Yet bush league cities like Salt Lake have an MLS team. wtf is that

Silverbacks had a shot at being 1st this weekend in 2nd division and blew it. womp womp.

Not enough pro teams for relegation yet, plus they are using the playoff system still..Once there are enough teams + other divisions, then hopefully they will get rid of the playoff system and do a more conventional season

frezKo
11-12-2013, 03:55 PM
yes, by 2036 hispanics will out number whites.

with stars like kaka and others comming to the mls in the near future so amny more tickets.

Look at the seattle sounders they sell out quest field.

mls gonna be bigger than the nba in a few decades.

HoLeeFuk
11-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Not unless they change the regulations and run the league like other leagues are ran, such as removing salary caps and designated players rule.

Also it needs more teams so that it can run a more traditional league pyramid system, instead of running conferences and playoffs.

It'll most likely happen in the future, the league is in its infancy. David Beckham is starting a franchise in Miami and Manchester City are starting one in NY. Once city start farming out their youth and pouring money into their franchise it'll be the catalyst I think the MLS needs in order to conform.

Phil9
11-12-2013, 04:25 PM
but david beckham saved soccer in america bro

Nah dude, Freddy Adu!

MCrow
11-12-2013, 04:30 PM

Dirty south isn't exactly as big soccer places as Salt Lake, Seattle, Portland, KC...ect.

MCrow
11-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Not unless they change the regulations and run the league like other leagues are ran, such as removing salary caps and designated players rule.

Also it needs more teams so that it can run a more traditional league pyramid system, instead of running conferences and playoffs.

It'll most likely happen in the future, the league is in its infancy. David Beckham is starting a franchise in Miami and Manchester City are starting one in NY. Once city start farming out their youth and pouring money into their franchise it'll be the catalyst I think the MLS needs in order to conform.

The league is still growing. I think eventually they will move more toward a more European system. Currently the league owns all the teams but the teams have investors who operate the teams. The league negotiates all contracts as well.

I think that teams being individually owned will have to come first.

The MLS would like nothing more than there to be a pyramid system and they are making some strides towards that with starting to work with lower tier teams. Right now there is just not enough talent in the lower tier leagues to have be a part of a pyramid system with relegation.

Bandingo
11-12-2013, 04:57 PM
The league is still growing. I think eventually they will move more toward a more European system. Currently the league owns all the teams but the teams have investors who operate the teams. The league negotiates all contracts as well.

I think that teams being individually owned will have to come first.

The MLS would like nothing more than there to be a pyramid system and they are making some strides towards that with starting to work with lower tier teams. Right now there is just not enough talent in the lower tier leagues to have be a part of a pyramid system with relegation.

The teams aren't individually owned? I was under the impression that Kraft owned the ne revolution.

liore22
11-12-2013, 05:00 PM
no they have an idiot comissioner in charge don garbage, and an idiot Shyteil gulati in charge . a cricket guy.

I could go into a lot more detail but just to hit the cliff notes : need some sort of youth development , more improved from the current
need more openness and disclose policies
better officiating
get rid of all these dumb roster rules and trading rules
sell players when they ready stop overevaluating them whe u pay them peanuts

can go on and on and on in excruciating detail

beastmodebrah1
11-13-2013, 04:36 AM
I think even if MLS get to it's full growth potential it'll only be on par with league 1 football at best here in the UK. I just don't see how it could compete with, or be on the same level as the Premier League or La Liga. I still rate the Bundesliga as the best league for football purists anyway, so many more exciting quality games

goodcupcakes
11-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Dirty south isn't exactly as big soccer places as Salt Lake, Seattle, Portland, KC...ect.

Seattle and Portland I get but that ****hole Kansas City is a big soccer place? And mormon mecca Salt Lake? They're not major metropolitan areas at all.

Mr.Marvel
11-13-2013, 10:29 AM
it's definitely picking up steam. I've definetly seen it become more popular, at least here in Vancouver with the people I know. Looking back though I wish it was more popular then with the friends I had, because although I loved playing soccer, everyone else was busy with other stuff like hockey or basketball. Now it seems everyone's a soccer player.

Gooner89
11-13-2013, 10:48 AM
I think even if MLS get to it's full growth potential it'll only be on par with league 1 football at best here in the UK. I just don't see how it could compete with, or be on the same level as the Premier League or La Liga. I still rate the Bundesliga as the best league for football purists anyway, so many more exciting quality games

It already is on par with League 1. In fact I would take New York, Portland, KC, LA, and Seattle over Leyton and Wolverhampton easily. I also think they are just as good as bottom Championship teams. Their full growth potential would be for the entire league to be on par with the Championship but that will take another 10-20 years IMO.

airdog93
11-13-2013, 11:33 AM
the youth programs simply aren't in place. Europe has soccer academies/schools from ages like 5 and up. America's emphasis for youth sports is more on football and basketball (to a lesser extent baseball/little league), and it shows

LyonGaultier
11-13-2013, 11:54 AM

this too. not enough commercial breaks for live betting either.

MLS is one of the easiest leagues to bet on especially on the over/under.

No. And the biggest reason is the Salary cap. They need to take it away if they want it to get bigger. Big name stars arent gonna come to the USA to play for 3-5 mil when they make 10-20 mil in europe. Or at least that is what Thierry Henry said, which I agree with.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/soccer/story/Thierry-Henry-Salary-cap-keeps-MLS-behind-Europe-63424212

Salary cap is good at the moment, teams are making profit. If they get rid of that they will over spend even though they allow the big market teams like Galaxy and Red Bulls get away with heavy signings.

Theres nothing to play for here. In competitive leagues in Europe you face the battle of fighting off teams for your best players, relegation ( i.e if u suck u drop a division and lose $$), big cups and its at the top level. Here in America is where you find failed academy products or very unskillful players with whack hair, with salary cap and legit trades I'm pretty sure...

This weekend is a massive match, Real Madrid vs Barcelona.

La Liga is the most overrated and boring league ever, same 2 teams every year. MLS is competitive and rivalries are beginning.

Not enough pro teams for relegation yet, plus they are using the playoff system still..Once there are enough teams + other divisions, then hopefully they will get rid of the playoff system and do a more conventional season

There is no need to get rid of the playoff system, it's fun. Why have a team win a league with still a month left to play. In Mexico and Colombia they have a playoff system and relegation one as well, all the MLS needs to do is strike a deal with NASL and USL and become one banner. In my opinion another team in NY is a dumb move, just live Chivas being in Los Angeles. They should move them to Orange County or San Diego.

Mr.Marvel
11-13-2013, 12:53 PM
the youth programs simply aren't in place. Europe has soccer academies/schools from ages like 5 and up. America's emphasis for youth sports is more on football and basketball (to a lesser extent baseball/little league), and it shows

This. Canada has nothing in terms of youth programs.

The other factor is that the US has to win a world cup or be on par to win one. A nation caught up in a championship is what will get mls soccer up to par.

I would say US or Canada but the men's team is not gonna win any time soon. Women's team kicks ass though.

ReadIfChill
11-13-2013, 01:08 PM
the quality of league will improve as long as the money is there. the MLS is seen as a very desirable place for European stars to end their careers once they can't compete in the top leagues. This raises the profile and will help the league grow (more money, repeat cycle).

travellingbrah
11-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Seattle and Portland I get but that ****hole Kansas City is a big soccer place? And mormon mecca Salt Lake? They're not major metropolitan areas at all.

Yeah Kansas City's soccer team has been making some noise in the local area. Every game is sold out and the team is really good.

XterraRob
11-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Until they introduce rabid wild animals onto the field and increase the mortality rate of players, no one will care about MLS.

leakypipe23
11-14-2013, 10:51 AM

I'm not sure a 2nd level league like MLS would be best suited by only sticking to the big cities.

This topic is interesting to me because I for the most part hate soccer. Well, mostly I hate their fans. Calling non-soccer fans "closed minded" doesn't help your cause. The elitism that seems to come from American soccer fans is silly. Seattle gets a team, and suddenly a bunch of soccer fans appear and have been into soccer for decades.

Went to my first game (not match) this year. Seattle versus Portland, which was Clint Dempsey's first home game. 67,000 people at CenturyLink. It was pretty fun, but not near the energy of a Seahawks game. Will it be big? Depends on your definition of big I guess. It will never be Premier League big.