PDA

View Full Version : The definitive "Do you believe in Trent Richardson?" thread

BrawnySwoleman
10-22-2013, 01:02 PM
The stats were bad, but now that I've watched him in 3 games this year, I have been thoroughly underwhelmed. This guy has no vision and makes nobody miss. The few who defend him cite his "yards after contact" stat, but that's just because he runs right into his own lineman's ass hole. RB is not a position where guys "figure it out", typically, if you get the touches, you start producing.

He also sucks by advanced metrics:

And yet, advanced stats do not paint a very flattering picture of Richardson's rookie season, either. Football Outsiders ranked him as the 6th-worst back in the league in 2012, as he posted a -51 DYAR and a -13.3% DVOA. Basically, he played far below replacement level for the entire season. Advanced stats reckoned him a worse running back than both Shonn Greene and Mark Ingram. And what of his pass blocking? Basic statistics indicated that he was a good protector in the backfield, but deeper investigations like this one, done at Football Perspective, indicate that he was average at best.

But even when using advanced stats, it's tough to separate a running back's performance from that of his offensive line's, and vice versa—though Football Outsiders' metrics do try. Was Richardson really that bad of a runner in 2012, or did his talents simply fall victim to playing for a crappy team with a crappy line? Thanks to Richardson's arrival in Indianapolis after Week 2, it appears that we have the answer to that question.

When Richardson left Cleveland for Indianapolis, he traded the 12th-worst offensive line for the league's best. Based on Football Outsider's adjusted line yards, the Colts have boasted the best run-blocking unit in the league this year, and yet somehow Richardson has continued to play poorly. He's currently ranked as the 15th-worst running back (out of the 36 with 50 or more carries) in the league with a DYAR of eight and a DVOA of -6.2%.

TTexasTT
10-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Its obvious hes just trying to set a mark this year so that he can win next years "most improved player"

Ecnewyx
10-22-2013, 01:07 PM
What's an average back? I think he can be a 3.5-4.0 yds/carry guy.

LikeAMachine
10-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Can't put him in "LOL" category because physically he is talented, but he doesn't have it between the ears. He'll be average.

BrawnySwoleman
10-22-2013, 01:31 PM
What's an average back? I think he can be a 3.5-4.0 yds/carry guy.Yeah something like that. An average starter, someone like Ryan Matthews.

FryDude
10-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Yeah something like that. An average starter, someone like Ryan Matthews.

Ryan Mathews is a really talented runner. The Chargers lack of commitment to the run game and in previous years a shaky o-line combined with his durability/fumble issues curtailed his offensive production. He's been really showing out this year and running hard as hell.

Mathews is leagues ahead of him and quite a bit better than average imo at least.