PDA

View Full Version : Question

tsimmns
10-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Realistically, how much time would it take for someone to say gain 10lbs of weight if they ate right and trained?

Gxp23
10-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Depending on your calorie intake and how fast you wanted to gain it, it could be anywhere from 10-20 weeks, but it could on be anywhere between 2-5lbs muscle total.

tsimmns
10-22-2013, 08:27 AM
What would be the fastest way to say pack on 10lbs. Eating right, eating dirty, etc? Being around 163 my goal is to just gain. Should I just eat whatever I want until I get some weight and then try and eat clean and cut?

WMLifting
10-22-2013, 08:31 AM
I could gain 10 pounds in one day, but I can gauruntee you it will be 99.9% fat.
I recommend you read THIS (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138083633) and THIS (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183).

Gxp23
10-22-2013, 08:33 AM
I could gain 10 pounds in one day, but I can gauruntee you it will be 99.9% fat.
I recommend you read THIS (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138083633) and THIS (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183).

Im sure you mean water. Right?

WMLifting
10-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Im sure you mean water. Right? Well I guess I could consume 35,000 (roughly) above my maintenance in one day, but it won't be "weight" the next day. Basically using unrealistic made up measures to get my point across :p

tsimmns
10-22-2013, 08:42 AM
I will read up on the links you provide. I just can't ever understand why I don't gain. Yes, a lot of times my meals are ****ty, but if I'm not having any physical activity I should be gaining something even with ****ty meals right?

Instance

Breakfast
4pack nugget from Chic Fil A with a medium Coke

Lunch
A serving of meat that my grandmother usually fixes, chicken, liver, ham, etc
Serving of vegetables, potatoes, corn, greens, green beans
Sweet tea

Dinner, usually a hamburger or a chicken sandwich with fries

I figure that adds up around at least 1500 calories. But, even though I know that's not a lot, if I'm not exercising I should be gaining something rjght?

softpounder
10-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Sh!tty meals doesn't mean you will gain fat, nor doesn't it mean that you won't gain muscle.

All boils down to energy expenditure vs energy consumption.

If no weight gain is happening, it must mean your consumption is not sufficient to gain weight.

Gxp23
10-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Well I guess I could consume 35,000 (roughly) above my maintenance in one day, but it won't be "weight" the next day. Basically using unrealistic made up measures to get my point across :p
lulz

Sh!tty meals doesn't mean you will gain fat, nor doesn't it mean that you won't gain muscle.

All boils down to energy expenditure vs energy consumption.

If no weight gain is happening, it must mean your consumption is not sufficient to gain weight.

tsimmns
10-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Whew, this page listed by Emma Leigh is a load. All I get right now from it is that I need to eat - 26 to 30 kcals/kg/day for normal, healthy individuals with sedentary lifestyles doing little physical activity [12.0-14 kcal/pound]

Gxp23
10-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Whew, this page listed by Emma Leigh is a load. All I get right now from it is that I need to eat - 26 to 30 kcals/kg/day for normal, healthy individuals with sedentary lifestyles doing little physical activity [12.0-14 kcal/pound]

It is quite a read, but its important that you understand the logic behind it.

WMLifting
10-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Who drinks soda at breakfast? The freakin United States...

tsimmns
10-22-2013, 10:58 AM
It is quite a read, but its important that you understand the logic behind it.

I don't quite get it. Usually when I have tried to eat clean I have been told to get xg of Protein, etc. This page shows really nothing like that. I have read about needing to calculate TDE, but I cant seem to find that on the page.

Ammex
10-22-2013, 11:31 AM

26-30 kcals is like 5 almonds. You're going to be awful hungry OP.

tsimmns
10-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Hmm, that's what I got out of the page. My stats, 31, weight around 161, lots of skinny in belly area, literally no arms, bigger calves and legs than arms. I've always been told I have wide shoulders and could hold a ton more of more weight, I just have never been able to gain. My biggest gains were made in basic training in '06 where I went from 129 to 165. I have mostly been stuck there. Of course, I don't train regularly so that's probably why, but I would think just eating crap would pack on weight for me. I've tried buying diets, but they never worked. They were always eat 6 times a day, chicken, eggs, potatoes. I know there are other ways to do this, but I also know it's a struggle.

tsimmns
10-22-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm really stuck on this page by Emma leigh. I can't seem to figure what to put in to calculate crap. Any adivce?

schnauzers
10-22-2013, 06:27 PM
What are you confused about?

Also, you ask about a timeline for gaining 'weight'. Do you mean muscle? Fat? Or just weight in general?

tsimmns
10-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Basically just any weight in general. I mean I don't want to become fat so to speak, but weighing 165 and being 6ft I think another 20lbs added to my frame would be amazing.

I just watched the Big Man on Campus video here about multiplying your weight by 17.5 and doing a 40/40/20 split. That sounds easy enough just eating what the man says and cheap.

tsimmns
10-22-2013, 07:35 PM
I'll also add, since it's winter time and I probably won't be running around with a shirt off any time soon, a dirty bulk would probably do me as well. Is there things that aren't allowed to eat during a dirty bulk?

InItForFitness
10-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Dirty bulking is nothing but eating at a higher calorie surplus than you would for a lean bulk.
You only add additional (unnecessary) fat gains by doing so, please do not dirty bulk.

Whether a bulk is "clean or dirty" has nothing to do with the types of food you eat. You can consume foods that are traditionally associated with a "dirty" bulk in your regular diet and still yield lean results.
Use moderation and common sense to fit these types of food into a well balanced diet that meets your calorie/macronutrient/micronutrient needs.

MikeK46
10-22-2013, 08:46 PM
The faster you gain the more of it will be fat. Go nice and slow, i.e. 250cal surplus/day equates to about 0.5lb/wk of weight gain.

AJL1
10-22-2013, 08:56 PM
OP, if you aren't gaining weight then you aren't eating enough. It is that simple.

Solution: Eat more.

Try to get a grasp on calculating your TDEE and counting macros so that you can make sure you are eating enough. Eat plenty of calorie-dense foods such as peanut butter, olive oil and other oils, full-fat milk, pasta etc. Don't be afraid to eat icecream and 'dirty foods' sometimes but use some common sense and don't let them make up your entire diet.