PDA

View Full Version : Already Read the stickies Still confused.

Obscuritys
10-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Been reading the stickies and such for about a week now, trying to figure out how to go about bulking up and gaining muscle.
However tbh it is all like a foreign language for somebody like me who is a beginner.
Before I ask my question, I have searched and searched but i can seem to find nor do i know if there is almost like a "beginners section" here?
If there is please do move this to the right section.

So my question is obv What should be my dietary plan (IE, good foods, bad foods, high source foods, shakes, etc)

I am a 20 year old white male.
I weigh 135lbs last time I checked and am about 5"7.
I am very skinny, HOWEVER I do have a mild I guess you guys would call it "gut", and when I mean gut I mean if you look at it in the mirror you cant see it XD.
(So not huge but a bit, weird considering I am a very small and skinny guy)
Also please note I do not attend a gym atm as for where I live I have been doing all workout routines at home as the closest gym to me is 45 minutes away (Rural Canada)

Being so young and new to this all i really couldnt find an answer I could comprehend in the sticky to suggest what I should be doing .

Gxp23
10-22-2013, 12:10 AM
What routines have you been doing at home? you have weight lifting equipment? Did you figure out a rough maintenance/TDEE?

Mrpb
10-22-2013, 12:12 AM
You'll need to estimate your TDEE (the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight) as explained in the stickies.

Then ad 10-20% for bulking.

Then:

Protein: ~0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the highest amount justified by research. ([url=http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/)

Fat: ~0.45 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the lowest amount implied by clinical observation.

Remaining caloric budget: whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer -- as implied by research. (http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0804748)

Obscuritys
10-22-2013, 12:17 AM
You'll need to estimate your TDEE (the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight) as explained in the stickies.

Then ad 10-20% for bulking.

Then:

If I have calculated it right I am just above 2500 for my TDEE.

Gxp23
10-22-2013, 12:19 AM
If I have calculated it right I am just above 2500 for my TDEE.

so add 10%

Obscuritys
10-22-2013, 01:06 AM
so add 10%

Ok so my calorie intake should be around 2750?
Still though this seems like a lot compared to what I am used to eating which is understandable.

Mrpb
10-22-2013, 01:13 AM
Ok so my calorie intake should be around 2750?
Still though this seems like a lot compared to what I am used to eating which is understandable.

Start with that and observe the scale.

You should gain 2 -3 lb per month.

Obscuritys
10-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Start with that and observe the scale.

You should gain 2 -3 lb per month.

Obviously I will try, but that seems to me the way i am now like I will be bloated a lot.
I work 3-11PM shifts so i literally come home at 11 stay up till maybe 4-5 and sleep till 2 before work on weekdays, tbh I only really get a chance to eat at break at work (Physical job) and when I am home.

AlwaysTryin
10-22-2013, 01:33 AM
so add 10%

Too small IMO

250 would leave little to no margin for error and could result in spinning wheels

Gxp23
10-22-2013, 01:36 AM
Too small IMO

250 would leave little to no margin for error and could result in spinning wheels

With anything he can adjust, like he said he feels it would be too much, but until he actually weighs himself after sticking to it for a few weeks he wont know, and I am still waiting on what routines he follows tbh.