PDA

View Full Version : Fans rooting for draft pick....

se4sons
10-21-2013, 09:17 PM
I don't understand why people root for their team to lose all their games, so early in the season, for a higher draft pick. Until it's mathematically impossible to make the playoffs, why not try to win? Most these losing teams have so many needs, that a slightly higher draft pick isn't going to be THAT much more beneficial.

I like what Cleveland is doing, though in desperate need of a QB and RB. I'd like to think the increased fan loyalty/revenue after a winning season, offsets the value of that slightly higher pick.

neighborr
10-21-2013, 09:21 PM
I mean maybe they're just being realistic...?

Better to go 0-16 and be able to laugh at your team and then get #1 pick than to go 6-10 and get 12th pick

JM2412
10-21-2013, 09:27 PM
In the NBA, the worst spot you can possibly be in if you're not a true contender is around the 7-10th place mark, or roughly a .500 team (give or take obviously).

You need a superstar to win in the NBA. Obviously, the best chance to get a superstar is earlier in the draft. That's why I'm so happy that the Sixers will be so bad this year. It was so frustrating watch them barely squeak in the playoffs, and have no chance against the top teams in the East. They were content with that for years. Make the playoffs, sell some playoff tickets, and stay mediocre.

se4sons
10-21-2013, 09:33 PM
In the NBA, the worst spot you can possibly be in if you're not a true contender is around the 7-10th place mark, or roughly a .500 team (give or take obviously).

You need a superstar to win in the NBA. Obviously, the best chance to get a superstar is earlier in the draft. That's why I'm so happy that the Sixers will be so bad this year. It was so frustrating watch them barely squeak in the playoffs, and have no chance against the top teams in the East. They were content with that for years. Make the playoffs, sell some playoff tickets, and stay mediocre.

I don't know, I kind of enjoyed watching the Sixers knock off the top seed in 2012 and take the celtics to a game 7. Atleast gives you hope that the whole entire team isn't terrible, and gives the existing players a higher trade value if anything.