PDA

View Full Version : Macro help

PhilGO
10-21-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm at 196lbs with 17% bodyfat. Been trying to cut down and seem to hit a plateau as I have not been dropping or gaining weight in few weeks.
I tried to calculate proper macros according to the sticky posted.

I weight lift 4x a week

Chest/Biceps
Legs/Abs
Shoulders/Abs
Back/Triceps

With about 30min interval cardio a week. (Running on treadmill)

Would something like this look right for cutting according to the macro nutrition sticky?

BMR*Activity: 2950 Calories/day
Cutting with 20% off that for 2360 calories

196g of protein a day (784 calories)
117.6g of fat a day (1058.4 calories)
129.5 of carbs a day (518 calories)

Thanks in advance. Would be nice for some guidance or some tips on those macros

cls91
10-21-2013, 08:00 PM
The recommended minimums are .4g per lbs for fat, and .82g per lbs for protein. There is no minimum for carbs, but most people find them very useful for energy, to help get their fiber/micronutrients, and for their sweet tooth to prevent craving/binging (especially when cutting).

Saying that, the 2,950 and 2,360 look about right, although calculators are meant to be estimates...eat at 2,360 for a few weeks, monitor your weight and adjust accordingly.

Your protein and fats are higher than their minimum, but there is nothing wrong with that. If you wanted to eat more carbs, you could decrease protein and/or fats to make some room (I would recommend fats since they are higher above the minimum than proteins are, and protein will help minimize muscle loss while on a cut)

respawn
10-21-2013, 08:07 PM
looks ok to me OP. good post for your first. I am impressed you have 1 post and you managed to read through stickies amd come up with this without anyone telling you to read stickies.

to be exact this is your macro's
P.....................F............C
196________117.6___129.5 gram
3332_______4351.2__2072 kj
793.3333333_1036___493.3333333 cal

Total cal 2322.666667

PhilGO
10-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks! I have no problem cutting carbs lower if required. I have tried low carbing (under 50g a day) and it wasn't too bad. Only struggled when I went to 10-20g per day.

How about:

235.2g protein (940.8 calories)
117.6g fat (1058.4 calories)
90.2g carb (360.8 calories)

as an adjustment to raise protein above minimum, keep fat above minimum and reduce carb for cutting.

Also thx! I always tried watching what I eat roughly but never counted my macros spot on. Just always made sure a decent amount of protein and low carb (never really watched fats tho... kept those low too)

cls91
10-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks! I have no problem cutting carbs lower if required. I have tried low carbing (under 50g a day) and it wasn't too bad. Only struggled when I went to 10-20g per day.

How about:

235.2g protein (940.8 calories)
117.6g fat (1058.4 calories)
90.2g carb (360.8 calories)

as an adjustment to raise protein above minimum, keep fat above minimum and reduce carb for cutting.

Also thx! I always tried watching what I eat roughly but never counted my macros spot on. Just always made sure a decent amount of protein and low carb (never really watched fats tho... kept those low too)

Lowering carbs does not have any special benefit when cutting ('reduce carb for cutting' statement), but again its about preference.
What will keep you satiated, what will give you the best workouts, etc.
You would also have to make sure that you are still eating a variety of whole foods to get adequate micronutrient and fiber intakes

PhilGO
10-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Lowering carbs does not have any special benefit when cutting ('reduce carb for cutting' statement), but again its about preference.
What will keep you satiated, what will give you the best workouts, etc.
You would also have to make sure that you are still eating a variety of whole foods to get adequate micronutrient and fiber intakes

I always struggle getting a large fat and protein intake. I'm not ever sure on how to get some good sources of fats to bring it up that high. Protein always shakes or chicken/steak etc tho

respawn
10-21-2013, 08:34 PM
I always struggle getting a large fat and protein intake. I'm not ever sure on how to get some good sources of fats to bring it up that high. Protein always shakes or chicken/steak etc tho

really I find protein very easy, yesterday was 294g of protein for me. I struggle with the fats more. only reason is because I have lean meats at home.

lower the carbs and raise the protein it wont really matter that much when your in a calorie defecate. as mentioned above your workout will most likely suffer thats all due to glycogen depletion. But saying that I have read a couple people in here say they work just fine with 0 carbs and the rest fats and protein. Not sure how but they say they do so I wont argue. carbs are needed for protein synthesis as well. your getting enough protein to be in a + NO2 balance but your body will still use some of that protein for fuel but seeing your first macro count and 2nd one are bot in a + it wont really matter

cls91
10-21-2013, 08:41 PM

Your fat and protein minimums are 80g and 160g...you dont need to do 117g fat and 235g protein if your struggling to get that much.

Some good fat sources that will also help with micros are eggs, fish, nuts/nut butters, dairy products, fatty meats, avocados etc.

xJellyBirdx
10-21-2013, 08:52 PM
reduce carb for cutting.

The only 'benefit' to cutting carbs is that you'll oxidize more fat for fuel.

respawn
10-21-2013, 09:07 PM
have a flick through these two links OP if interested.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne23.htm

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html

Protein

When it comes right down to it, no other macromolecule is more important in the muscle building process than protein.

Protein is the only macromolecule that is used to synthesize muscle tissue. Amino acids are used for muscle protein synthesis, however these aminos are obtained through protein hydrolysis. The recommended daily amount (RDA) for protein is 50g per day. That only applies if you are a couch potato who weighs 150 lbs and has the metabolism of a snail. If you are a bodybuilder, you need more protein and here is why...

Lifting Weights

When you lift weights your muscle tissue is actually broken down (atrophied). Amino acids are then used to synthesize new muscle tissue. The body will enlarge the muscle so it will be stronger and better able to handle the same overload in the future (Note: This is a grossly oversimplified unscientific explanation of muscular hypertrophy in response to training but effective for our purposes). The amino acids that are used to synthesize muscle tissue do not appear out of thin air.

They come from your dietary protein intake. The synthesis of new muscle creates a deficit in your body's amino acid stores. In fact, if amino acid levels are not high enough, protein synthesis will slow or even stop as amino acid availability is a limiting factor in protein synthesis 1,2,3,4). What does this mean? To be direct, it means that if you are not eating enough protein, you are not maximizing your muscle protein synthesis and thus limiting your muscular gain.

How much protein are we talking? Anecdotal and scientific research suggests that 0.8g-1.0g protein per pound bodyweight is the magic number. However, this is for a bodybuilder with a slower metabolism (endomorph). Anecdotally, through working with various people and talking to other bodybuilders, (several professional natural bodybuilders) I believe that 1-1.5g of dietary protein per pound of bodyweight is ideal. If you have a slow metabolism then you should aim near the bottom of this spectrum. If you have a fast metabolism, aim for the higher end. If you have a medium metabolism, you should be somewhere in between.

PhilGO
10-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! I guess I can lower my protein and fats a little and enjoy a little more carbs then as long as I'm in deficit? Say... 80-90g of fat, 175-200g of protein and rest carbs roughly?

Also thanks for the links I will read them tomorrow when I have a little more time!

respawn
10-21-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! I guess I can lower my protein and fats a little and enjoy a little more carbs then as long as I'm in deficit? Say... 80-90g of fat, 175-200g of protein and rest carbs roughly?

Also thanks for the links I will read them tomorrow when I have a little more time!

yeah should be fine. your deficient so it wont really matter.