PDA

View Full Version : Denver.. how proud can their fans really be?

bananabucket
10-12-2013, 01:58 PM
I mean of course you're going to root strongly for your team, but I just don't see how it can't be somewhat tainted by the fact that you're only relevant is because you rented the GOAT for a few years.

This is something that bothers me in all of sports. Look at Miami, Boston's ex big 3, etc.. and don't even get me started on baseball. I don't see how much pride can be obtained from merely purchasing a contending team. Teams that build from the ground up with excellent coaching/drafting/development are so much more respectable and worthy of the pride of the fanbase.

A good example that comes to mind (since I'm a fan derp) is the Pacers.

copiusGains
10-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Keep Miami out your fukking mouth punk

bananabucket
10-12-2013, 02:00 PM
also, not butthurt or jelly. I'd honestly prefer Peyton to get another ring this season more than I'd want the Colts to win it.

bananabucket
10-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Keep Miami out your fukking mouth punk

good thing I am using a keyboard

iamgenus
10-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Free agency is part of the game. Why wouldn't their fans be thrilled?

How did Washington do with all the money they spent a few years ago?

There was a risk associate with Manning and so far they haven't won a single playoff game with him.

*DH*
10-12-2013, 02:02 PM
You're completely right OP, because trades and free agency signings are definitely not part of the sport.

bananabucket
10-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Yes, free agency is part of the game. When did I say it wasn't? My point is that the mentioned teams didn't really earn ****.

It's a question of the pride of the fans, not of the legitimacy of the teams..

dougefresh93
10-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Rented? He was kicked to the curb by the colts hurt and damaged at he time, it's not like Denver offered the most $$$ and lured him away, he was a FA and he decided to sign with the Broncos.

It was a gamble, similar to the one NO took on Brees and Miami took on Culpepper, some FA gambles pay off others don't.

Peyton is paying off big time.

iamgenus
10-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Yes, free agency is part of the game. When did I say it wasn't? My point is that the mentioned teams didn't really earn ****.

Each team is bound by the salary cap. When you sign a guy like Manning it means you're leaving yourself vulnerable elsewhere so if you want a team that competes all over the place you have to be smart with the draft and finding other players.

If you want to complain about Denver then look at the Wes Welker signing. They didn't really need him with Thomas and Decker already on board but wanted another binkie for Peyton.

Right now they look unstoppable but we'll see how it works out in the end.

*DH*
10-12-2013, 02:09 PM

The teams didn't earn shiit?

So what you're saying is the front office isn't part of the game then. The front office makes the moves to help improve the team. Just because they didn't draft Peyton Manning, doesn't make it any less legitimate than if they did.

Miami cleared up cap space the right way, and signed the big 3, and got two championships so far.

Boston drafted some nice young pieces, and packaged them for two big trades that got them a championship.

Were those championships any less legit than say the Mavericks, Spurs, or Lakers? No.

EastCoastNiner
10-12-2013, 02:11 PM
What? Why should their fans feel any less "proud" of the team they root for? Not every team is going to be able to keep all of their homegrown talent/draft picks.

Let's say the Vikings traded Percy Harvin (last year) for a first round pick, and that first round pick became the best QB in the NFL. Are they supposed to feel any less proud? Getting Manning as a free-agnet makes no difference in how they should feel. It's one player, not twenty joining one team.

bananabucket
10-12-2013, 02:14 PM
The teams didn't earn shiit?

So what you're saying is the front office isn't part of the game then. The front office makes the moves to help improve the team. Just because they didn't draft Peyton Manning, doesn't make it any less legitimate than if they did.

Miami cleared up cap space the right way, and signed the big 3, and got two championships so far.

Boston drafted some nice young pieces, and packaged them for two big trades that got them a championship.

Were those championships any less legit than say the Mavericks, Spurs, or Lakers? No.

I'll repeat this point:

It's a question of the pride of the fans, not of the legitimacy of the teams.

*DH*
10-12-2013, 02:15 PM
I'll repeat this point:

It's a question of the pride of the fans, not of the legitimacy of the teams.

So why should the fans feel less proud then? Again, it's part of the game.

Whether the Suns draft and develop to a dynasty, or they make trades and sign free agents to lead to a dynasty, I'm gonna be just as proud.

jross2021
10-12-2013, 02:18 PM
What? Why should their fans feel any less "proud" of the team they root for? Not every team is going to be able to keep all of their homegrown talent/draft picks.

Let's say the Vikings traded Percy Harvin (last year) for a first round pick, and that first round pick became the best QB in the NFL. Are they supposed to feel any less proud? Getting Manning as a free-agnet makes no difference in how they should feel. It's one player, not twenty joining one team.

This

Though in baseball, op has a point. Brb buying championships is lame as fuk.

pkahnman
10-12-2013, 02:18 PM

It's a question of the pride of the fans, not of the legitimacy of the teams..you are a moron or trolling

bananabucket
10-12-2013, 02:19 PM
So why should the fans feel less proud then? Again, it's part of the game.

Whether the Suns draft and develop to a dynasty, or they make trades and sign free agents to lead to a dynasty, I'm gonna be just as proud.

I don't have a problem with FA/trades in general. I'm just talking about the big examples like Manning/Lebron+Bosh/KG+Allen/etc.

it's like "oh lookie, proven superstars available. we get to skip the whole 'building a team' thing!"

also found it funny/ironic that I was negged by a fan of the Yankees and Nets.

bananabucket
10-12-2013, 02:24 PM
interesting to see all the hostility over a simple opinion. Some of you need to mellow out

*DH*
10-12-2013, 02:30 PM
I don't have a problem with FA/trades in general. I'm just talking about the big examples like Manning/Lebron+Bosh/KG+Allen/etc.

it's like "oh lookie, proven superstars available. we get to skip the whole 'building a team' thing!"

You don't get it do you?

If you have the opportunity to build the best possible team, why wouldn't you? That's just stupid.

bananabucket
10-12-2013, 02:32 PM
You don't get it do you?

If you have the opportunity to build the best possible team, why wouldn't you? That's just stupid.

I think you are the one who doesn't get it. All you are doing is saying your opinion can be the only correct one.

ShweezyBTFO
10-12-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm a fan of whatever team makes me the most money OP. stop crying

neighborr
10-12-2013, 03:01 PM
This is why Thunder > Heat

BEASTMODE420
10-12-2013, 03:07 PM
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i372/bainer732/angus_zps9ac22bcd.jpg

Beliedat
10-12-2013, 03:15 PM
interesting to see all the hostility over a simple opinion. Some of you need to mellow out

Sports misc is hostile toward most idiots.

My team took a chance on a discarded hall of famer who was lured in by Elway, forgoing other options at the most important position. They offered him a smart contract that protected them financially in case he didn't recover. They want to win now instead of dick around rebuilding with a mid round QB. Denver has the best Front Office in the NFL, and thanks to that they have the best offense in the NFL. Why shouldn't I be proud?

chlaxman
10-12-2013, 03:25 PM
I don't care one way or another. Just win baby

WhskyBent
10-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Make sure payton makes it through the first round of playoffs before we jump to conclusions here....he falls apart for some reason post season, and I am Manning's number 1 fan so dont talk sh*t.

jubar
10-12-2013, 03:30 PM
OP... how phaggy can he really be?

The answer is extremely phaggy.

Devil-spawn
10-12-2013, 03:32 PM
rented? He was kicked to the curb by the colts hurt and damaged at he time, it's not like denver offered the most $$$ and lured him away, he was a fa and he decided to sign with the broncos.

It was a gamble, similar to the one no took on brees and miami took on culpepper, some fa gambles pay off others don't.

Peyton is paying off big time.

qft...

bigcc
10-12-2013, 03:35 PM
This is why Thunder > Heat

the thunder stole an entire ****ing team tempted to neg

bigcc
10-12-2013, 03:38 PM
and thread is retarded.... they still had to compete with other teams to get him, and comparing signing peyton to what the heat did is retarded

Daewoo_Lanos
10-12-2013, 03:42 PM

because the pacers dont have a single significant player acquired from free agency/trade.

oh wait. no david west, no 2nd round.

sandpapergooch
10-12-2013, 03:46 PM
This

Though in baseball, op has a point. Brb buying championships is lame as fuk.

lol at buying a championship, thats happened like 2-3 times in the last 15 years