PDA

View Full Version : Chipotle burrito homemade

DorianJ
10-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Since there's no Chipotle restaurant in my town, I want to try to make a chipotle burrito at home
What I like the most is

1 flour tortilla
1 serving of black beans
1 serving of steak
2 serving of cheese
1 corn salsa

This is what I order when my friends out-of-town brought chipotle foods
Since many of you have been to Chipotle many times and have seen what ingredients they mix and match to make their burrito I was wondering:

1 how much is a serving is cheese and what cheese they use?
what kind of cut their steak is, how it's cooked and how much 1 serving is?
how do you make a corn salsa?

white_pele
10-12-2013, 12:10 AM
corn salsa:
http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/04/just-like-chipotles-corn-salsa/

sdunn96
10-12-2013, 05:33 AM
I tried to do their chicken marinade.....
Not great with that so far, still working on it.

But I do love that place....the sodium kills me though.

Tuksonrider
10-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Sirloin is a good choice, one that is well marbled with fat, about an inch thick. It's used in a lot of carne asada burritos. The best way to cook it is sear it, then cook it on an open flame until medium rare.

First rub some canola oil over it and season it with some kosher salt and ground pepper. Wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter top for an hour. You want it to reach close to room temperature. This will insure the center is cooked to a safe temp at medium rare.

Now sear it either on cast iron or flat top. About 1 min on each side. The cast iron has to be around 500F degrees. Be warn, it's going to SMOKE. If you're indoors, open a window. Immediately transfer that to a grill and cook into an internal temp of 130F-135F. Remove it from the heat and cover it. It's still cooking so let it sit for at least 5 minutes. It will cook for another 3F-5F degrees.

Slice it thin and put it into a large bowl (including the juices). Season with a little more Kosher salt (optional) and ground pepper for taste. Squeeze some lime over it, and add in chopped cilantro. Mix well.

For an authentic cheese, use only Queso Blanco. If you don't have queso blanco, use a mix of Mozzarella and mild cheddar.