PDA

View Full Version : Is noodles (Indomie) bad for you? (Reps)

dest0
10-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Hello guys,

I'm re-bulking and I find it really easy to down 2 packs of noodles (~700 calories) per day.

I heard that it's bad/not healthy due to the MSG (Chinese salt?) that is found in either the oil pack or the powder pack that comes with it.

This information has been spread in the past few years, but I'm having doubts that this is true, but not able to find a reference..

I want to be eating daily for the rest of my bulk so I don't want any funny effects.

Thank you in advance.

InItForFitness
10-07-2013, 08:17 PM
If you can fit them into your daily calorie/macronutrient/micronutrient needs than you're fine.

respawn
10-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Hello guys,

I'm re-bulking and I find it really easy to down 2 packs of noodles (~700 calories) per day.

I heard that it's bad/not healthy due to the MSG (Chinese salt?) that is found in either the oil pack or the powder pack that comes with it.

This information has been spread in the past few years, but I'm having doubts that this is true, but not able to find a reference..

I want to be eating daily for the rest of my bulk so I don't want any funny effects.

Thank you in advance.

think it depends on the type of noodles. the 2 min noodles apparently contain a lot of wax. me I rather eat special fried rice with a ton of egg in it

masonb62
10-07-2013, 08:21 PM
I ate these for a little while but stopped after hearing the same things about bad salts / MSG etc. They are great and easy to eat but for overall health probably not the best to be having each day. Everything I heard was just word of mouth so would be interested in seeing an article explaining the negative effects.

dest0
10-07-2013, 08:23 PM
If you can fit them into your daily calorie/macronutrient/micronutrient needs than you're fine.

That's not what I'm referring to, I have my diet in check according to IIFYM, however, my issue lies with whether it is "Dangerous" for me, some say it may cause cancer or some shiet..that's what I'm talking about.

think it depends on the type of noodles. the 2 min noodles apparently contain a lot of wax. me I rather eat special fried rice with a ton of egg in it

That's more of what I'm referring to, wax?? and if so, why'd that be dangerous?

dest0
10-07-2013, 08:24 PM
I ate these for a little while but stopped after hearing the same things about bad salts / MSG etc. They are great and easy to eat but for overall health probably not the best to be having each day. Everything I heard was just word of mouth so would be interested in seeing an article explaining the negative effects.

EXACTLY what I heard, if it's in the oil pack/powder pack I'll just dump that and eat it, but I need someone who actually knows about this.

masonb62
10-07-2013, 08:26 PM
EXACTLY what I heard, if it's in the oil pack/powder pack I'll just dump that and eat it, but I need someone who actually knows about this.

I was told it was the noodles.

I ended up just buying my own noodles / sauces etc and made my own.

Mdenatale
10-07-2013, 08:32 PM
The noodles are ok. The biggest downside is they contain palm oil, which I've heard isn't that great for you, but honestly I don't know how true that is. The seasoning powder definitely contains MSG.

respawn
10-07-2013, 08:40 PM
That's not what I'm referring to, I have my diet in check according to IIFYM, however, my issue lies with whether it is "Dangerous" for me, some say it may cause cancer or some shiet..that's what I'm talking about.

That's more of what I'm referring to, wax?? and if so, why'd that be dangerous?

digestion problems I guess. I very rarely eat them so doesn't concern me. do a google search on wax content in noodles and effects. sure you will find heaps of info bro

dest0
10-07-2013, 08:48 PM
The noodles are ok. The biggest downside is they contain palm oil, which I've heard isn't that great for you, but honestly I don't know how true that is. The seasoning powder definitely contains MSG.

I just read that palm oil contains saturated fats, so alright, I'll dump that..the seasoning contains MSG, which gives headaches? I don't get any symptoms like that at all..

I guess my question is, I will be using this for a long term, is it okay IIFYM?

I did research A LOT without any DEFINITE information.

respawn
10-07-2013, 08:53 PM
I just read that palm oil contains saturated fats, so alright, I'll dump that..the seasoning contains MSG, which gives headaches? I don't get any symptoms like that at all..

I guess my question is, I will be using this for a long term, is it okay IIFYM?

I did research A LOT without any DEFINITE information.

recent studies show saturated fats are not as bad as thought. found this out last week. RDI recommends 20g a day of saturated fats for healthy living. palm oil is the highest content in saturated fats as well followed by coconut oil

Nihilil
10-08-2013, 07:30 AM
The msg being bad thing has much more evidence saying it's fine than otherwise. Fun fact: many things contain free glutamate.

dest0
10-08-2013, 03:56 PM
The msg being bad thing has much more evidence saying it's fine than otherwise. Fun fact: many things contain free glutamate.

Yes but what I'm trying to get to here is, is it fine to consume 2 packs a day.

dest0
10-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Bump for other bros answers.

respawn
10-08-2013, 06:28 PM
here is a heap of truths, myths, facts by Dr's. Credibility? probably the same as everything else on the internet, who knows

http://www.mondenissin.com/main.php/products/lucky_me/truth_myth

dest0
10-08-2013, 09:20 PM
here is a heap of truths, myths, facts by Dr's. Credibility? probably the same as everything else on the internet, who knows

http://www.mondenissin.com/main.php/products/lucky_me/truth_myth

Thanks for the info, I read it and it makes sense, however, they're defending their product as they sell noodles..

Any other opinions guys?

respawn
10-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the info, I read it and it makes sense, however, they're defending their product as they sell noodles..

Any other opinions guys?

further reading it just seems to be the sodium that is the main issue. cant really find anything that I can really say is solid but. all these sites saying lab testing and stuff, yeah cool but you also get the other sites with lab testing contradicting another.

dest0
10-08-2013, 09:43 PM
further reading it just seems to be the sodium that is the main issue. cant really find anything that I can really say is solid but. all these sites saying lab testing and stuff, yeah cool but you also get the other sites with lab testing contradicting another.

Yeah pretty much sodium and MSG..I don't care about the palm oil anyway, I'll dump that pack.

Just want to make sure if I'm eating 2 packs daily I'm not fuarking my body up you know..

respawn
10-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Yeah pretty much sodium and MSG..I don't care about the palm oil anyway, I'll dump that pack.

Just want to make sure if I'm eating 2 packs daily I'm not fuarking my body up you know..

I did it for a while when I was broke. I ate heaps of cheap chit foods lol for months. 2 packs of megoran noodles a day nearly every day for a few weeks. I didn't have a problem

Mrpb
10-08-2013, 10:28 PM
700 kcal devoid of fiber and micro nutrients means the the rest of your diet has to be better. A lot better.

respawn
10-08-2013, 10:44 PM
700 kcal devoid of fiber and micro nutrients means the the rest of your diet has to be better. A lot better.

well apparently people lately have though micro nutrients / calories dont matter as long as you meet them. take a multi V is you have to. meaning get it all from junk food it wont matter. I personally disagree with this. yes a calorie is a calorie, 2 types of carbs, incomplete protein (veggies) complete protein (most meats) 4 different types of fats. they all give calories but IMO where you get them from matters.

Just my opinion dont want to start an argument with the people who say Mcdonalds meat is just as good as a steak at home, protein is protein or whatever

Mrpb
10-08-2013, 11:07 PM
well apparently people lately have though micro nutrients / calories dont matter as long as you meet them. take a multi V is you have to. meaning get it all from junk food it wont matter.
yeah there are quite a few people here who have taken IIFYM to mean "you can eat anything you want, it all doesn't matter as long as it fits your macros".

but obviously 100 gram oatmeal has different effects on the body than 100 grams of table sugar.

respawn
10-08-2013, 11:11 PM
yeah there are quite a few people here who have taken IIFYM to mean "you can eat anything you want, it all doesn't matter as long as it fits your macros".

but obviously 100 gram oatmeal has different effects on the body than 100 grams of table sugar.

layne norton says IIFYM is wrong. he also claims eating "clean" is wrong he says in simple as long as your getting the proper nutrition and micro nutrients then its right. there is a medium. pretty much in short. there I just said his 26 min video in 1 sentence.

But again its up to the individual what they want to do. its all just advice, no written text book for this industry

Mrpb
10-08-2013, 11:15 PM
layne norton says IIFYM is wrong.

Most people who criticize IIFYM actually criticize their own definition of IIFYM, often "you can eat anything you want, it all doesn't matter as long as it fits your macros".

That's not what IIFYM originally meant though.

IIFYM in it's original meaning is absolutely correct. Alan Aragon has some good posts on the matter.

respawn
10-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Most people who criticize IIFYM actually criticize their own definition of IIFYM, often "you can eat anything you want, it all doesn't matter as long as it fits your macros".

That's not what IIFYM originally meant though.

IIFYM in it's original meaning is absolutely correct. Alan Aragon has some good posts on the matter.

what did it originally mean? cant remember if layne mentioned it only the new online IIFYM saying that I guess people online have put in to their own interpretation

Mrpb
10-08-2013, 11:29 PM
what did it originally mean? cant remember if layne mentioned it only the new online IIFYM saying that I guess people online have put in to their own interpretation

Originally it came about when people were coming to the forums asking questions like: can I eat a brownie and still lose weight? Will I still gain muscle if i eat a big mac on my bulk?

Then the answer was, if it fits your macros yes.

But as always extremists (/idiots) come in and they have translated it to 'I can eat Ben & Jerry tubs all day because I'm doing IIFYM'.

respawn
10-09-2013, 02:26 AM
Originally it came about when people were coming to the forums asking questions like: can I eat a brownie and still lose weight? Will I still gain muscle if i eat a big mac on my bulk?

Then the answer was, if it fits your macros yes.

But as always extremists (/idiots) come in and they have translated it to 'I can eat Ben & Jerry tubs all day because I'm doing IIFYM'.

ahh, so the usual miss interpretation thing.

Mrpb
10-09-2013, 02:32 AM
ahh, so the usual miss interpretation thing.

Yes indeed.

Usually mis interpretation and/or over simplifying.

respawn
10-09-2013, 02:36 AM
Yes indeed.

Usually mis interpretation and/or over simplifying.

I like you.

Mdenatale
10-09-2013, 05:41 AM
layne norton says IIFYM is wrong. he also claims eating "clean" is wrong he says in simple as long as your getting the proper nutrition and micro nutrients then its right. there is a medium. pretty much in short. there I just said his 26 min video in 1 sentence.

But again its up to the individual what they want to do. its all just advice, no written text book for this industry

Mrpb may have just said the same thing, but I think what is wrong is the definition that many people use for IIFYM. Although at the extreme it means you could eat Twinkies, butter and protein shakes to get all your calories and macros, that is completely ridiculous. I take it to mean eat a sensible mix of the foods you like and fit them within your macro and calories goals. Don't get upset because you occasionally eat "junk food".

Anyway, OP, the palm oil is not just in the flavor packet, so you can't toss it out. It is in the noodle ingredients. Personally I don't think it is a big deal to eat the noodles, but I also wouldn't make it a staple part of my diet.

respawn
10-09-2013, 05:51 AM
Mrpb may have just said the same thing, but I think what is wrong is the definition that many people use for IIFYM. Although at the extreme it means you could eat Twinkies, butter and protein shakes to get all your calories and macros, that is completely ridiculous. I take it to mean eat a sensible mix of the foods you like and fit them within your macro and calories goals. Don't get upset because you occasionally eat "junk food".

Anyway, OP, the palm oil is not just in the flavor packet, so you can't toss it out. It is in the noodle ingredients. Personally I don't think it is a big deal to eat the noodles, but I also wouldn't make it a staple part of my diet.

yeah he said how people have twisted it around from what it used to mean. agree with you fully. Layne norton again pretty much said the same really. there needs to be a medium. I still getting new to all this internet talk and abbreviations. had some guy today tell me junk food is just fine IIFYM and micro nutrients don't matter cos you will get it in the junk food cos it fits your macro's pretty much. I didn't bother arguing but linked the link. didn't get a reply from him. 50g steak and cheese sandwich does not equal the same nutrition as a 50g steak and cheese sandwich at home with real meat. another guy added this in there to inform him of how junk food such as subway does not hold the same nutritional value.

http://i.imgur.com/jJOjJUu.jpg