PDA

View Full Version : Question about recent trouble loosing weight

guyu
10-04-2013, 06:20 PM
6'1" 210lb 29 yrs old average build

So far I have been trying to eat around 1700 calories a day and going to the gym 5 days a week. It has worked to lose 30lbs from 240 - 210 but not I seem to be stuck at 210. My meals are usually good carbs and mostly protein. The meals get broken into 4 400 calorie parts when I can. This week I tried adding a few more calories and some fats like olive oil \ natural peanut butter. My bmi is right in the middle of the overweight category. I get around 8 hours of sleep a night sometimes 9.

5 days a week i try to do around 30 minutes of cardio, lift 10 sets on 2 or 3 muscle groups (like chest then triceps). Protein shakes before and after i lift, the extreme 60 1/2 a serving for 30g of protein before and after.

I have been stuck around 2 weeks, not sure what to do besides less calories. Like I said it has been working for the last 30lb and I should be losing somewhere around 2lb a week? I did start varying my speed and resistance in my cardio, which felt like it was working.

TheGhost9900
10-04-2013, 06:53 PM
How accurately are you counting your calories? Digital scale to weigh things out? If your just guessing at your caloric intake you could be way off. Do you have your TDEE and macros all figured out? If not I'd suggest reading the stickies in the nutrition section. I use the calculators on the IIFYM website to get the macros all squared away.

RocknRollMuscle
10-04-2013, 11:38 PM
that and measure eveyr 30 days. With simple 500 or so calorie deficits - fat loss isn't that fast that you see changes week by week. Water retention could mask fat loss. Sometimes it can take almost 4 weeks to see changes (fat can come from anywhere).

Every 30 days do a complete analysis complete with tape measuring. This will tell the story. If results are not what you expected - drop calories 200 or ensure accuracy of intake.

guyu
10-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Thank you for the replies! So far the calculation I found are below. For measuring I am using the facts on the label or general facts for things like eggs or a slice of bread. Good advice to double check accuracy! I'll have to check those number later too because I'm only doing an hour or so at the gym. I'll also check on that exact time. So it sounds like nothing to do with my metabolism and 1800 would be way to low?

BMR 1973
TDEE 2886

CARBS PROTEIN FAT FIBER CALORIES
GRAMS per day 178.3 210 84 42 - 53 2309
GRAMS per meal 44.6 52.5 21 11 - 13 577

Shinagami091
10-05-2013, 12:40 AM
Thank you for the replies! So far the calculation I found are below. For measuring I am using the facts on the label or general facts for things like eggs or a slice of bread. Good advice to double check accuracy! I'll have to check those number later too because I'm only doing an hour or so at the gym. I'll also check on that exact time. So it sounds like nothing to do with my metabolism and 1800 would be way to low?

BMR 1973
TDEE 2886

CARBS PROTEIN FAT FIBER CALORIES
GRAMS per day 178.3 210 84 42 - 53 2309
GRAMS per meal 44.6 52.5 21 11 - 13 577

No, your metabolism isn't the issue. You're feeding yourself properly it seems so it's unlikely there would be a slow down.

You have to understand too that as you lose more weight, the weight you still want to lose will take longer to come off so you are going to see the rate slow down and your results will more easily be covered by water retention as Rocknrollmuscle said.

Take it from me, I'm in your position, though I was a bit heavier than you at 285. Im now at 246 and it has slowed a bit. One day, on my rest day in the morning, I noticed I gained weight. During my rest day, I didn't really drink that much water. The next morning I was 4lbs lighter from just sitting around the house and eating normally. Just goes to show how dramatically water retention can affect what you see on the scale.

guyu
10-05-2013, 09:42 AM
No, your metabolism isn't the issue. You're feeding yourself properly it seems so it's unlikely there would be a slow down.
your results will more easily be covered by water retention as Rocknrollmuscle said.

just to clarify the 1800, is 1800 calories a day. the TDEE and BMR are numbers I just got online by entering my info. I will try to follow the recommendations, especially with more accuracy, from now on.

thanks for pointing that out. Congrats on the weight loss! I have been trying to drink more water to hopefully lose fat and to offset the protein shakes (just heard that you need more water intake when taking protein powder, might be untrue)

vismal
10-05-2013, 09:50 AM
that and measure eveyr 30 days. With simple 500 or so calorie deficits - fat loss isn't that fast that you see changes week by week. Water retention could mask fat loss. Sometimes it can take almost 4 weeks to see changes (fat can come from anywhere).

Every 30 days do a complete analysis complete with tape measuring. This will tell the story. If results are not what you expected - drop calories 200 or ensure accuracy of intake.Did you just tell a 210 6'1 guy eating 1700 calories to drop 200 more calories?!?!?

OP 1700 calories is not enough at all. Especially if you are doing 5 days of cardio. I would take a few weeks trying to restore calories to maintenance and then slowly begin reducing them again. You should be able to cut at a much higher calorie. To put it in perspective, I am your height, weigh 10 lbs less. When I cut I eat 1000 more calories then you and do 3 days less cardio. I know everyone's metabolism is different but again 1700 calories + 5 days cardio is way off.

guyu
10-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Did you just tell a 210 6'1 guy eating 1700 calories to drop 200 more calories?!?!?

OP 1700 calories is not enough at all. Especially if you are doing 5 days of cardio. I would take a few weeks trying to restore calories to maintenance and then slowly begin reducing them again. You should be able to cut at a much higher calorie. To put it in perspective, I am your height, weigh 10 lbs less. When I cut I eat 1000 more calories then you and do 3 days less cardio. I know everyone's metabolism is different but again 1700 calories + 5 days cardio is way off.

I know what you mean. 5 days of 30m cardio and some time lifting. Right now I am trying to calculate the calories needed. Maybe somewhere around 2000? Thanks for the quick reply!

RocknRollMuscle
10-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Did you just tell a 210 6'1 guy eating 1700 calories to drop 200 more calories?!?!?

because when someone "says" they're eating 1700 and not losing weight - it's usually because they're underestimating how many calories they're eating.

If he really was eating 1700 - he wouldn't be saying this --> "I have been stuck around 2 weeks.". Though I did advise him to wait 2 more weeks though before deciding.