PDA

View Full Version : The pre-workout question

shadowofanubis
09-27-2013, 06:28 PM
I read alan aragon's sticky on pre/post workout nutrition and it was informative. I've been hitting my macro and caloric goals the past few days since i started this new way of living.

My question is, are there any good pre workouts that anyone uses in order to get a better workout in or are they mostly just marketing gimmicks?

I bought some NO-xplode just to see what effects it would have during the workout. So far it feels like it's a massive artificial caffeine rush. Is there something else out there, or a combination of things i can take in order to get more energy before the gym?

MAGnitude
09-27-2013, 07:17 PM
I read alan aragon's sticky on pre/post workout nutrition and it was informative. I've been hitting my macro and caloric goals the past few days since i started this new way of living.

My question is, are there any good pre workouts that anyone uses in order to get a better workout in or are they mostly just marketing gimmicks?

I bought some NO-xplode just to see what effects it would have during the workout. So far it feels like it's a massive artificial caffeine rush. Is there something else out there, or a combination of things i can take in order to get more energy before the gym?

supplements are useless, worthless, crap and nothing but a waste of money. if u need energy supplements to get to the gym, you shouldn't be going there in the first place!

sdunn96
09-27-2013, 07:24 PM
When I did PWO powders, the one I really liked was DS Craze.

Don't do any now.

Try a cup of coffee.

dbman4
09-27-2013, 08:02 PM
there's preworkouts that will definitely help get you a better workout. But that's because they will caffeinate you, get you focused/and or make you want to go to the gym. They provide energy and sometimes a few other things, but mainly it's the energy/caffeine that will make the difference. Coffee or a caffiene pill will provide a ton if not all of the same benefits at a fraction of the price

xJellyBirdx
09-27-2013, 08:13 PM

2-4 shots espresso + 1 oz honey + 4 oz almond milk. Could add a scoop of protein powder if you wanted. Solid workout :)

shadowofanubis
09-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks! Looks like this will be the last time i buy a pre-workout. I'll just go straight for the caffeine and perhaps some almond milk.

jubjubrsx
09-28-2013, 04:29 AM
I like the preworkouts because I dont like the taste of coffee, never have to be honest. so its a better option for me. but mostly I drink them for the caffeine it provides, also the beta alanine is always nice as it helps with the build up of lactic acid in the muscles.

isaiah41v10
09-28-2013, 07:12 AM
supplements are useless, worthless, crap and nothing but a waste of money. if u need energy supplements to get to the gym, you shouldn't be going there in the first place!

Wow dude...not everyone wakes up or gets out of work with the energy of a lion cub. I used to use pre-workouts and they do provide an extreme energy rush. Stopped using them because of artificial flavors, sweeteners, and colors but they do provide some extras like beta alanine and creatine. Currenty using concentrated cup of coffee. Works good enough.

Huckleberry101
09-28-2013, 07:24 AM

Supplements are not useless and worthless. Many elite athletes and laypeople use supplements to aid performance.

Kendomaster
09-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Try noxipro 1 scoop will give you a "clean" energy feeling to motivate you to workout while 2 scoops will FORCE you to workout. My teammates (wrestlers), volley ball team, and I all love this stuff.. I wouldn't recommend coffee just because alot of people form bad habits and drink way to much. Caffiene pills are cheap but 1 scoop of noxipro is about 65cents. 30$ for 45 servings.

DannyGDesigns
09-28-2013, 10:05 AM
I use at the moment 2 scoops of nano vapor and 1 scoop of hemavol for pre workout, I train first thing in the morning from roughly only 4-5 hours sleep so for me pre workouts do help me tremendously I'm always full of energy and very driven every workout.. so do they work? yes ... are they necessary? no.. if a cup of coffee gives you the same energy and driven feeling in the gym then go for it :)

xJellyBirdx
09-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Supplements are not useless and worthless. Many elite athletes and laypeople use supplements to aid performance.

Like who and what supplements out of curiosity?

Huckleberry101
09-28-2013, 10:55 AM

Ok I agree for the most part the majority that are marketed are useless.

Apart from the myriad of illegal supplements that undoubtedly benefit athletes, I was when typing that comment referring to caffeine.

Professional football (soccer) players regularly use caffeine before games and distance runners before races.

sdunn96
09-28-2013, 11:28 AM

Man, I think I was watching a video that Ronnie Coleman did....
You should see the supps he takes.

He has it all laid out in one of those medicine trays.....goes through it in the morning.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gZJ-T7ajrw

xJellyBirdx
09-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Ok I agree for the most part the majority that are marketed are useless.
Apart from the myriad of illegal supplements that undoubtedly benefit athletes, I was when typing that comment referring to caffeine.
Professional football (soccer) players regularly use caffeine before games and distance runners before races.

I personally do not consider caffeine to be a supplement.

Man, I think I was watching a video that Ronnie Coleman did....
You should see the supps he takes.
He has it all laid out in one of those medicine trays.....goes through it in the morning.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gZJ-T7ajrw

I think people need to start accepting the fact that most of us are 'average Joes' and focus on the 80% that matters instead of the 20% that doesn't matter. Coleman is a pro bodybuilder, this isn't a side hobby to him, something to do outside of work to keep him busy. Unless you are competing or something, best just to save yourself the money and train harder, eat a balanced diet, and follow the basics.

sdunn96
09-28-2013, 01:23 PM
I think people need to start accepting the fact that most of us are 'average Joes' and focus on the 80% that matters instead of the 20% that doesn't matter. Coleman is a pro bodybuilder, this isn't a side hobby to him, something to do outside of work to keep him busy. Unless you are competing or something, best just to save yourself the money and train harder, eat a balanced diet, and follow the basics.

Dude, calm down.

I am well aware of this, in fact I first responded to the OP saying he was better to just do coffee...

I was just answering your earlier question of
So I posted an athlete that I knew of that took supps.

xJellyBirdx
09-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Dude, calm down.

Nothing but calm skies and a nice breeze over here man.