PDA

View Full Version : How Can We Fix Our Schools?

Streetbull
09-27-2013, 04:00 AM
"From the banning of children making Pop Tarts into guns to the elimination of contact sports on the playground, our schools have become institutions focused far more on eliminating any harm of any kind instead of one that encourages them to be challenged either by teachers or one another. The modern school has a list of “don’t do___” that will boggle your mind and leave you scratching your head in wonder...

Much like the soldiers in today’s Army that I would far rather see trained in fundamentals like weapons handling, combatives, and patrolling, I would be ecstatic if my children could just be taught the basics of reading, writing, mathematics, and geography. But, in a similar way to the modern Army, those subjects have been replaced by cultural awareness, sensitivity, and equality presentations. Our kids today may not know how to write a complete sentence or place Asia on a map, but they can spot a bully and tell you how bad humans have screwed up the planet with global warming.

There was a time in our country when kids could play tackle football on the playground and learn hunter’s education in the classroom. There was a time in our public educational system when our children could go and be held to a standard of learning that meant, if they passed, they had a set of tools that would allow them to succeed in any number of fields.

The pussification of America is seen nowhere more clearly than in our public school system. Boys are chastised for being exactly what they are while girls are hoisted up with hollow models of self-esteem building that foster an ever-growing, sense-of-entitlement culture where everyone feels they should be a movie star and is pissed off if they aren’t."

http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/the-pussification-of-the-american-school-system/

hugeaiden
09-27-2013, 04:05 AM
same down here in Australia.
The new gen of kids are going to be the biggest politically correct pussy idiots.
Anti Online bullying stuff is just everywhere.
(i do feel bad for those kill themselves from it tho)

but seriously, its a joke

BFast55
09-27-2013, 04:13 AM
End summer vacation. Was originally meant so farmer children could help parents with the harvest. No other country has summer breaks.

DizzySmalls
09-27-2013, 04:52 AM
Privatize schools or give out vouchers, end compulsory education, and if problem students fail to improve their behavior, put them in a segregated program or kick them out.

GregariousWolf
09-27-2013, 05:08 AM
Privatize schools or give out vouchers, end compulsory education, and if problem students fail to improve their behavior, put them in a segregated program or kick them out.

There are a lot of problems with the government run primary school system but among them this one looms large. Compulsory education is well meaning, but it has the unintended consequence of turning schools into juvenile hall.

This is the absolute worst thing because it kills the learning environment. It breeds disrespect and destroys discipline.

flairon
09-27-2013, 05:09 AM
Allow teachers to discipline kids again.

Don't want your little crib midget spanked when they act up? Stop raising retarded crib midgets. WHen you're on school property, you're abiding by their rules and the punishment those rules come with. If a kid gets lippy with a teacher, expulsion from every school in the county. Make mom and dad have to move around a little because jr. is mouthy and mom and dad will pay more attention tot he problem.

DizzySmalls
09-27-2013, 05:11 AM
There are a lot of problems with the government run primary school system but among them this one looms large. Compulsory education is well meaning, but it has the unintended consequence of turning schools into juvenile hall.

This is the absolute worst thing because it kills the learning environment. It breeds disrespect and destroys discipline.
Private schools don't tolerate **** and the learning environment is incredible. If you are disruptive, you are gone. If your parents don't care about your performance or behavior, the school can tell them to fuk off. It really goes a long way.

DorneyFuky
09-27-2013, 05:12 AM
Remove liberalism

Pay teachers based on student performance

SAME AS EVERY OTHER JOB ON EARTH

/thread

BFast55
09-27-2013, 05:21 AM
Dis

Allow teachers to discipline kids again.

Dat

Remove liberalism

/thread
dis too ^

flairon
09-27-2013, 05:47 AM
Remove liberalism

/thread

Teachers shouldn't be paid based on the performance of people who largely don't want to be there.

kusok
09-27-2013, 07:42 AM
Give more tax payer money to schools of course, bring back uniforms, bring back whipping, install caged doors so students can't escape and cut class, and make pledge of allegiance required and hand must be placed over the heart. This will do the trick.

p.s. place Obama and Bush portraits in every classroom. Make all children sing Obama songs. Bring back patriotism.

Hola Bola
09-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Homeschool. Problem solved.

kusok
09-27-2013, 07:46 AM
End summer vacation. Was originally meant so farmer children could help parents with the harvest. No other country has summer breaks.

Or better yet bring back farming. Year round. Close public government indoctrination centers, I mean schools, down permanently.

DefCrazy
09-27-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm sure there are bigger problems but history classes 7-12th grade in Northernish California are basically just teachers handing you packets of work due Friday. There are a lot of maps you have to color and a LOT of multiple choice answers. In high school, coloring in multiple maps should not be considered doing WORK. The history teachers didn't do much tbh. If there's anything that stuck out to me in school, it was the piss poor "teaching" from history teachers.

Also, students need to move at their own pacing in certain classes. None of this "everyone needs to be at the same place" bullchit.

DizzySmalls
09-27-2013, 07:50 AM
For the affluent this is the best choice. Not practical for everyone unfortunately. Those who aren't capable or don't have the resources to homeschool should be allowed to use vouchers or get a school tax break while their kids are enrolled in private school.

kusok
09-27-2013, 07:50 AM

inb4 you are nuts bro all children will be taught Earth is flat and God is Christ and there is no global warming, we need government schools that teach that global warming is real and we must pay Al Gore carbon taxes to save the planet, home school kids are not social enough, kids need to listen to justin Beebler while they stand around by a local Subway and chew GMO bread with human parts Shoprite "meat" etc. etc. etc.

ElderJefferson
09-27-2013, 07:58 AM

this is a great idea, and I would fully support a year-round schedule (it works great where it's implemented). Not sure if it addresses the OP's concern of the "pussification" of our youth (which I think is absurd, but whatever).

While I wouldn't go so far as to advocate every child being home-schooled, this principle is important and vital. Too many parents are relying on the public school system to raise their kids. Raise your own kids! Be the parent and provide them with life skills and teach them how to be mature and let the schools educate them for a future occupation.

I feel for single parents and broken homes, but that's where the whole village concept comes into play. Regardless, if our country would focus more on family values and parenting skills, I'd conjecture that most of our social problems would dissipate.

Bhavasita87
09-27-2013, 08:10 AM
I think there are far bigger problems than a few people being punished for behavior the libs don't like. It's an issue, and it's retarded that this happens, but you can't really do much if such libs are in the majority of positions that control things at school and/or if they are directly or indirectly empowered by the government. The solutions that will allow that to be more easily remedied are many of the same ones that will be needed to address the other issues.

Our educational model where kids are forced into a classroom and some average teacher lectures them and hands out assignments that may or may not be bullchit is completely obsolete. Education is one of the few areas where there has been virtually no innovation with regards to the fundamental approaches.

- The teacher in a classroom is mostly obsolete for most HS classes, and most undergrad level classes. Most aspects of this can be replaced in a far cheaper and far superior manner with a little aid from technology. The aspects of the traditional teacher that are beneficial can be easily rearranged to mesh with a new approach.

- Our approach of what & how to teach students, especially at the HS level is terrible. Instead of teaching scientific literacy and practicing scientific thinking, we cram a bunch of disconnected facts & information down their throats, which they memorize long enough to pass the test, and then quickly start to forget as time goes on. Even if they did not forget, this information is pretty much useless for most people. It has very little to no impact on the real world. By the time kids get to high school, most have mathematics forced down their throats in a way that is totally abstract to them, boring, or in their minds, useless. Many similar criticisms can be made when it comes to history & social studies, and many aspects of English classes.

- Our motivational approach is little more than a combination of forcing kids to be there, and telling them "get good grades, so you can go to a good school, get a good degree, and get a good job" by the time we reach high school. Motivation for younger kids is largely dependent on the skill and talent of the teacher -- who still have limited flexibility within a rigid system.

Our kids grow up having little foundation and foundation, for developing and exercising curiosity and developing nascent interests into something that could lead them onto a legitimate course. Instead they are forced into a school system that they look forward to getting out of each day. They come home and watch mindless cartoons and TV shows. And we are surprised that they are unmotivated and bored when they get to high school?

nightmare69
09-27-2013, 08:10 AM

If one parent could afford to not have to work and be qualified to teach then I see no problem except the child would be socially immature from not being around other kids his age.

kusok
09-27-2013, 08:14 AM
If one parent could afford to not have to work and be qualified to teach then I see no problem except the child would be socially immature from not being around other kids his age.

Statistically home schooled kids are MORE involved in their communities, not less.

ElderJefferson
09-27-2013, 08:18 AM

I just listened to a lecture about the two-parent working home as opposed to single-parent working homes. The lecturer cited studies that showed the two-worker households as having MORE debt than the single worker, and how the children in single-worker homes (thus having a parent to raise them for the most part) were more "mature". Can't provide the specifics of the studies since I'm recalling all of this from memory, so it's purely speculative at this point, but one thing that prevented me from sending my children to a private school was the fear of them becoming socially ignorant (?)

How I wish I could do it all over again and tell my fears to take a long walk off a short pier...

John L
09-27-2013, 08:19 AM

This. There are way too many days off in the American school system. Granted if I were a kid i'd hate that idea, but looking back I can say the elimination of summer vacation would definitely be beneficial.

Also a stronger emphasis on math and science.

ElderJefferson
09-27-2013, 08:21 AM
This. Way to many days off in the American school system. Granted if I were a kid i'd hate that idea, but looking back I can say the elimination of summer vacation would definitely be beneficial.

Also a stronger emphasis on math and science.

There are so many advantages to the year-round model that it isn't even funny. I have ZERO idea why American schools haven't switched over yet (but I'm sure it has something to do with money, politics, and/or I-love-my-traditional-system)

Hola Bola
09-27-2013, 08:31 AM

What qualifications do you think they need to have?

Home schooled children are no more socially immature than public schooled children.

nightmare69
09-27-2013, 08:36 AM
What qualifications do you think they need to have?

Home schooled children are no more socially immature than public schooled children.

No qualifications but just have enough sense to teach their child. I have a few cousins who were homeschooled K-12 and they said they wished they had been around other kids more and not just each other. They said it was tough when they started college being around tons of others their age. They are smart as hell though and learned alot more through homeschool then I did going to public school.

Hola Bola
09-27-2013, 08:45 AM
No qualifications but just have enough sense to teach their child. I have a few cousins who were homeschooled K-12 and they said they wished they had been around other kids more and not just each other. They said it was tough when they started college being around tons of others their age. They are smart as hell though and learned alot more through homeschool then I did going to public school.

It could be hard if you lived in a rural area but anymore these days there are so many activities you can put your kids in, there is no excuse for them not to be socialized. brb youth sports leagues, Boy/Girl scouts, homeschool groups, religious groups, etc.

nightmare69
09-27-2013, 08:51 AM
It could be hard if you lived in a rural area but anymore these days there are so many activities you can put your kids in, there is no excuse for them not to be socialized. brb youth sports leagues, Boy/Girl scouts, homeschool groups, religious groups, etc.

They lived out in the sticks, closest school was 20 miles away and it was a 1A.