PDA

View Full Version : Quick question. How to track macros of food cooked by my parents??

tekno17
09-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Imb4 poor college student who is still living with parents.

Umm, I need to eat around 3200 - 3400 cals to gain about a 1lb a week. But, problem is how do I track calories on food my mum cooks. Chicken pies, lasagnes, etc??

InItForFitness
09-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Ask for an estimate of how much of everything has gone into the dish.
Use MyFitnessPal (or another macro tracking source) to get a couple averages for the items and base your numbers off of this.
Will it be incredibly accurate? No. Will it help? Yes.

tekno17
09-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Ask for an estimate of how much of everything has gone into the dish.
Use MyFitnessPal (or another macro tracking source) to get a couple averages for the items and base your numbers off of this.
Will it be incredibly accurate? No. Will it help? Yes.

When doing the rounding, should i just take the lowest cal ammount? So atleast i dont undershoot my macro, but maybe go over a tiny bit instead?

InItForFitness
09-23-2013, 06:52 PM
When doing the rounding, should i just take the lowest cal ammount? So atleast i dont undershoot my macro, but maybe go over a tiny bit instead?

Just focus on tracking the macros.
If you have the macros you can do the math for the calories.
Don't worry about rounding up or down.
Nutritional values are only so accurate anyways, they're not exact.

MercurialXIII
09-23-2013, 08:05 PM
I dont even see why people who need 3000+ calories worry. Eat everything she makes and drink milk. You will pass your 3k cals easy.

InItForFitness
09-23-2013, 08:08 PM
I dont even see why people who need 3000+ calories worry. Eat everything she makes and drink milk. You will pass your 3k cals easy.

Because, believe it or not, we can still over-eat :P
If I didn't at least keep a basic idea of my total intake for the day I could easily eat upwards of 5,000 calories a day.
3,200-3,500 will fill me up. But I could always go for me. So I've gotta track/worry to an extent so I'm not packing on 3+lbs/week and giving myself a longer, more difficult cutting period post bulk.

tekno17
09-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Because, believe it or not, we can still over-eat :P
If I didn't at least keep a basic idea of my total intake for the day I could easily eat upwards of 5,000 calories a day.
3,200-3,500 will fill me up. But I could always go for me. So I've gotta track/worry to an extent so I'm not packing on 3+lbs/week and giving myself a longer, more difficult cutting period post bulk.

This ^^^

CiKi90
09-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Also if you're in the house while she's cooking, maybe help her for a minute to see what she's doing to prepare the meal. She'll love ya for helping and you'll get a better idea of the calories and amounts shes using. :) that is, if you've got time and stuff.

HealingHands8
09-24-2013, 07:07 AM

this could lead to someone easily consuming 4k+ depending on appetite. Hello unnecessary fat gains