PDA

View Full Version : Do people not know the difference between a sikh and a muslim?

MrVeggie
09-23-2013, 02:35 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/09/23/2662971/columbia-university-professor-attacked-sikh-hate-crime/

"Dr. Prabhjot Singh, a physician and a Columbia professor in international politics and public health, became a victim of an alleged Sikh hate crime when a group of about 20 young men reportedly attacked him during a walk near Central Park in New York City. A group surrounded Singh on Saturday night, shouting “get Osama” and “terrorist,” as they beat him to the ground, punched his face, and pulled his beard.

Singh was hospitalized for severe bruising and displaced teeth and had surgery for a fractured jaw, according to the Sikh Coalition. His friend also recounted in the Huffington Post how he looked at the hospital, “wheeled in, bloody and bruised, his face swollen from a fractured jaw.” Gawker notes that NYPD’s Hate Crime Task Force is looking into the attack.

Although there are 250,000 Sikhs living in the U.S., the religion is often conflated with Islam, and as such, Sikhs who wear turbans and beards for their religion have also fallen victim to the rise of hate crimes against Muslims in the U.S. A recent survey from Stanford University found that 70 percent of Americans mistake turban-wearers as Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or Shinto, while 49 percent of Americans misidentify Sikhism as part of Islam.

Last year, Singh responded to a shooting at a Sikh temple that killed six people with an article in the New York Times. Singh and a co-author asked, “Do American Sikhs count?” as they criticized how the government tracks hate crimes against the Sikh community. “The F.B.I. currently classifies nearly all hate violence against American Sikhs as instances of anti-Islamic or anti-Muslim hate crimes,” he wrote just over a year ago. “As a result, we do not have official statistics on the extent of hate crimes in which Sikhs are targeted, despite a long history of such violence.”

sikhning

Tune5k
09-23-2013, 02:37 PM
sikh is something you do when you're looking for something
muslim is when you are destined to lose weight and be skinnier

djfuzzy
09-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Do people not know the difference between a sikh and a muslim?

Nope.

Patriots25
Do people not know the difference between a Wahhabi and a Muslim?

Ignorance and bigots have their stupidity level so high that it deteriorates something essential called LOGIC.

Brb call miss America an Arab when she's Indian. Lmaooo

MrVeggie
Nope.

both wear turbans i think

bezarker
09-23-2013, 02:39 PM
One is imaginary and the other one is real...

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/sith.jpg

Siths are real...

J90
09-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Don't want to learn the difference, they're all retards for believing in a magical man in the sky.

I believe in the spaghetti monster and unicorns. Prove they don't exist.

Mephisto91
09-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Brb call miss America an Arab when she's Indian. Lmaooo

Lettuce be cereal, that's like mistaking a Korean for a Chinese person, not a big deal.

Zeeshanbmerchan
09-23-2013, 02:43 PM
misc is pretty dumb..............i would say most guys here are 3s or 4s out of 10s on intelligence

tx_rican
09-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Nope; I dont care.

havoc713
09-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Isn't one of them Zelda dressed as a boy?

djfuzzy
both wear turbans i thinkSo...no difference?

matt7
no, and to be honest i really don't fuking care.

TheLBM
09-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Probably the same people that dont know the difference between the misc and the r/p section

bezarker
09-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Probably the same people that dont know the difference between the misc and the r/p section

-4AtBBVZ73U

StreetCleaner91
i've never heard even 1 bad story about sikh bros

tnel00
different types of hat's

S1kh
09-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Its quite sad even after so much exposure due to the Wisconsin shootings that more people dont know who sikhs are. 99% of people who wear turbans in the US are Sikhs for any of you miscers who encounter someone wearing a turban. Totally different than muslims.

folly412
09-23-2013, 02:51 PM
One is religion of peace, the other is actually peaceful.

ibby1995
09-23-2013, 03:01 PM
if you dont know the difference between a sikh and a muslim you need to get slapped srs, there two completely different religions, christians and jews have WAY more in common with muslims since they worship the same god and are abrahamic religions

to make it simple though if your talking about appearance wise put it this way, 99% of the time if you see someone with a turban there a sikh, muslims very rarely wear a turban and if they do, its nothing like the sikh one. 99% of muslims wear a hat instead like this

average muslim:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Portrait_of_Muslim_man.jpg

average sikh:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Sikh_wearing_turban.jpg

GermanBB
09-23-2013, 03:02 PM
it's so disappointing to see how sikhs are being treated like muslims in the US when the qualitative differences are HUGE!

ZenBowman
09-23-2013, 03:03 PM
it's so disappointing to see how sikhs are being treated like muslims in the US by bigots when the qualitative differences are HUGE!

Agreed, they are very peaceful people, and very welcoming to non-Sikhs.

Tharsos
09-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Question to Sikhs: Isn't your religion based on like warrior spirit stuff? Do you guys still learn any of the fighting techniques? Or would that be like asking if a Japanese person trained to be a Samurai.

boseador
09-23-2013, 03:17 PM
I will tell you how to tell the difference...

Muslims, if they have a beard, they will always shave off the moustache

Sikhs grow the moustache with the beard.

TheNarrative
09-23-2013, 03:21 PM
He looked Muslim to me and this is coming from an ex-Muslim. I'd excuse the homeboys for mistaking him as one.

And there was a thread about this already.

I will tell you how to tell the difference...

Muslims, if they have a beard, they will always shave off the moustache

Sikhs grow the moustache with the beard.

I've heard this as well because their prophet also did not keep a moustache. And yet I've seen so many Muslims who only have a moustache.

ElderJefferson
09-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Nope.

This

lasher
09-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Don't want to learn the difference, they're all retards for believing in a magical man in the sky.

I believe in the spaghetti monster and unicorns. Prove they don't exist.

http://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/I+don+t+think+I+ve+seen+any+atheist+bashing+pictur es+on+_779320354b3c6f54f89f4f63b1e708c8.jpg

Bullroarer
09-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Seriously, Americans need to pull their heads out of their asses and bash the right religious minority. Sikhs have even more historical reason to hate Muslims than we do (Aurengzeb), and we keep bashing them instead of the people who need it. WTF

Sikhism started as a peaceful movement to reconcile Hindus and Muslims in India. The Muslims repaid them by trying to wipe them out. The Sikhs repaid the Muslims by becoming radically anti-Islamic and played a crucial role in draining the wealth and military power that the Mughals needed to fend off the British.

TheNarrative
09-23-2013, 03:29 PM
http://static2.fjcdn.com/comments/I+don+t+think+I+ve+seen+any+atheist+bashing+pictur es+on+_779320354b3c6f54f89f4f63b1e708c8.jpg

What is the point of those pics? All atheists are ugly neckbeards? And ugly neckbeards can't have opinions? We can equally find pictures of ugly out of shape religious people and put "hilarious" quotes on them as well.

lasher
09-23-2013, 03:32 PM
What is the point of those pics? All atheists are ugly neckbeards? And ugly neckbeards can't have opinions? We can equally find pictures of ugly out of shape religious people and put "hilarious" quotes on them as well.

The point is that it's a stupid overused response to a stupid overused statement about sky fairies and magic men in the sky. Inane bull**** responded to with inane bull****.

_AdaM_
09-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Phuck knowing the difference between Muslims and Sikhs. Should people be attacked in the first place?

OP makes it seem like the crime would have been okay had they found the right people.

frankenstein78
09-23-2013, 03:57 PM
If they are clean shaven, and wearing regular clothes, I may have trouble. Otherwise pretty easy. You have to be a full on retard to not realize self-identified Sikhs aren't Muslim. 49% of the population doesn't know the difference? What's got 2 thumbs and isn't the least bit shocked? THIS GUY.

Rune
09-23-2013, 03:59 PM
most people are uninformed retards

S1kh
09-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Question to Sikhs: Isn't your religion based on like warrior spirit stuff? Do you guys still learn any of the fighting techniques? Or would that be like asking if a Japanese person trained to be a Samurai.

Yes it is for sure, we even have our own martial arts. Nowadays sikhs concentrate on working and school and dont put enough time into self defense/martial arts. There should be a balance.

S1kh
09-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Seriously, Americans need to pull their heads out of their asses and bash the right religious minority. Sikhs have even more historical reason to hate Muslims than we do (Aurengzeb), and we keep bashing them instead of the people who need it. WTF

Sikhism started as a peaceful movement to reconcile Hindus and Muslims in India. The Muslims repaid them by trying to wipe them out. The Sikhs repaid the Muslims by becoming radically anti-Islamic and played a crucial role in draining the wealth and military power that the Mughals needed to fend off the British.

How do you know so much about sikhs brah? Seriously impressed. And what state are you from?

VTheKing
09-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Agreed, they are very peaceful people, and very welcoming to non-Sikhs.

I can confirm, I live in New Punjabi.

With that said, Canada's worst terrorist/mass murder act was perpetrated by Sikh militants.

Bullroarer
09-23-2013, 05:59 PM
How do you know so much about sikhs brah? Seriously impressed. And what state are you from?

Nevada. Don't really know much about Sikhs, but I read up a bit on Indian history.

GreatOldOne
09-23-2013, 06:50 PM

It is because this is a more effective response.

No Christian wants to actually turn the other cheek because getting slapped isn't nice and we're not made to like that.

lasher
09-23-2013, 06:55 PM
It is because this is a more effective response.

No Christian wants to actually turn the other cheek because getting slapped isn't nice and we're not made to like that.

stupid posts don't deserve non stupid responses.

Turbomunkey
09-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Who would have guessed people ignorant enough to beat another with different views would also be too ignorant to know his "enemy"

And I can only imagine what kind of characters these NYC teens are

Calisthenics92
09-23-2013, 07:43 PM
you cant tell whos muslim unless they have a beard with no mustache or a muslim name srs

muslims are in every race just like christians

i know a pakistani christian
also know a white muslim

neither were converts