PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With A School Project!

LewisCN77
09-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Hey everyone so I already made a thread about this on the misc but I feel as if though this question would belong here instead. From the other thread :

So in one of my courses "Health and Wellness II" we have this big project with like 4 different parts to it. But I decided to get some help from you guys on part 1.

Basically we (group project) need to write a 2-3 page paper on the following statement:

"The North American food industry purposely “creates” foods that we crave and continue to buy without considering our health."

1) Provide evidence for this statement. Use news media sources, the internet and any reputable articles that you may find that supports this statement.

So if any of you guys have any articles about this topic it would be really helpful. Will measly rep as much as I can.

LewisCN77
09-20-2013, 08:41 AM
bump

germaine07
09-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Wait, did you make up that statement or your lecturer?

Gxp23
09-20-2013, 09:06 AM
That statement really cannot be said for everyone, you will need to try and take a different approach from it if you need our help.

LewisCN77
09-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Wait, did you make up that statement or your lecturer?

That's just the statement that the prof gave us on the outline for the project. That's the first part of the assignment, to look up articles that support that or refute it and we just present the facts.

E.g. Article stating that X company continues to use Y ingredient(s) in their foods even though it leads to a number of health problems

Possibly articles attacking high fructose corn syrup and the like.

I just turned to this part of bb.com because I know there are some very knowledgeable people here who may have looked into a topic similar to this in the past!

AAOBob
09-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Hey everyone so I already made a thread about this on the misc but I feel as if though this question would belong here instead. From the other thread :

So in one of my courses "Health and Wellness II" we have this big project with like 4 different parts to it. But I decided to get some help from you guys on part 1.

Basically we (group project) need to write a 2-3 page paper on the following statement:

"The North American food industry purposely “creates” foods that we crave and continue to buy without considering our health."

1) Provide evidence for this statement. Use news media sources, the internet and any reputable articles that you may find that supports this statement.

So if any of you guys have any articles about this topic it would be really helpful. Will measly rep as much as I can.

Wow, what a horrible assignment.

So basically you need to find proof if the food industry makes tasty foods without worrying if people eat to much and get fat?

They make the food people want to buy, its up to the individual to focus on their health. I hope your professor has something more on their mind than ivory tower activism, those types won't accept anything that doesn't fit their desired "lesson".

LewisCN77
09-21-2013, 04:58 AM
Wow, what a horrible assignment.

So basically you need to find proof if the food industry makes tasty foods without worrying if people eat to much and get fat?

They make the food people want to buy, its up to the individual to focus on their health. I hope your professor has something more on their mind than ivory tower activism, those types won't accept anything that doesn't fit their desired "lesson".

Haha yeah it's not the best assignment in the world

Yeah so basically find articles like that pretty much,

e.g. article (purely hypothetical) saying food companies continue to make chips using high fructose corn syrup (dangerous ingredient in popular food we crave)

rand18m
09-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Haha yeah it's not the best assignment in the world

Yeah so basically find articles like that pretty much,

e.g. article (purely hypothetical) saying food companies continue to make chips using high fructose corn syrup (dangerous ingredient in popular food we crave)

HFCS is not a dangerous ingredient. With the possible exception of artificial trans fats, virtually no food or ingredient is harmful in isolation. There's lesson one for you!

Now if you want to find articles that help confirm the professors bias, (what kind of teacher does that,,,,wait a crappy one) I suggest you Google and look at articles written in over-sensationalized tabloids, you can find plenty of fodder there. Oh and check out blogs and organization web pages that pertain to most any dogmatic crazy eating style such as veganism, paleoism, vegetarinism etc etc and you'll find articleswritten about the grand conspiracy to make everyone fat and poison them with fructose and sodium.

OneHandClap
09-21-2013, 05:13 AM
HFCS is not inherently dangerous.

orangegoblin
09-21-2013, 05:26 AM
Your professor is an idiot.

"Support my biased statement without using any critical thinking at all. Use 'reputable sources' like the media and the interwebz."

Jeezis.

germaine07
09-21-2013, 07:58 AM
That's just the statement that the prof gave us on the outline for the project. That's the first part of the assignment, to look up articles that support that or refute it and we just present the facts.

E.g. Article stating that X company continues to use Y ingredient(s) in their foods even though it leads to a number of health problems

Possibly articles attacking high fructose corn syrup and the like.

I just turned to this part of bb.com because I know there are some very knowledgeable people here who may have looked into a topic similar to this in the past!

I'd refute it. Easier. Food companies don't make us over eat, and after all, it is a business. They offer a product. They don't force you to buy it or over-consume it. The blame thus lies with the consumer, and always with the educational system/governing bodies.

OneHandClap
09-21-2013, 09:04 AM
I'd refute it. Easier. Food companies don't make us over eat, and after all, it is a business. They offer a product. They don't force you to buy it or over-consume it. The blame thus lies with the consumer, and always with the educational system/governing bodies.

Agreed to a large extent, and companies are profit driven of course, our health is not their concern, but "force" is a strong word, and "offer" isn't strong enough.

For example, turning the largest drink at the movies into the smallest by offering a medium and large both bigger than that, is a very clever ploy to get you to buy more, because given such a choice we go with the medium, even for kids.
If I were the OP I'd opt to refute the bull****, but also compare the size of a candy bar from decades back to now, and the impact strategies like supersizing has had on the average consumer.
In the end, the choice is still yours, and as a shareholder I would expect nothing less of a company than to supply demand or even create more demand.

LewisCN77
09-22-2013, 06:52 PM
HFCS is not a dangerous ingredient. With the possible exception of artificial trans fats, virtually no food or ingredient is harmful in isolation. There's lesson one for you!

Now if you want to find articles that help confirm the professors bias, (what kind of teacher does that,,,,wait a crappy one) I suggest you Google and look at articles written in over-sensationalized tabloids, you can find plenty of fodder there. Oh and check out blogs and organization web pages that pertain to most any dogmatic crazy eating style such as veganism, paleoism, vegetarinism etc etc and you'll find articleswritten about the grand conspiracy to make everyone fat and poison them with fructose and sodium.

Agreed to a large extent, and companies are profit driven of course, our health is not their concern, but "force" is a strong word, and "offer" isn't strong enough.

For example, turning the largest drink at the movies into the smallest by offering a medium and large both bigger than that, is a very clever ploy to get you to buy more, because given such a choice we go with the medium, even for kids.
If I were the OP I'd opt to refute the bull****, but also compare the size of a candy bar from decades back to now, and the impact strategies like supersizing has had on the average consumer.
In the end, the choice is still yours, and as a shareholder I would expect nothing less of a company than to supply demand or even create more demand.

Thanks guys! That was a mistake on my end, I forgot to add that the second part after the "research" is done is to write whether or not WE personally agree with the statement. I'm definitely going to be refute it because as you guys stated; we are not forced to buy or consume these products. And if we blindly consume everything that is thrown at us without looking into what may be going into it then we are at fault. I understand people want to trust these companies and just believe they are looking out for us but like you guys said this is a business. I think I'll take that approach, I'll look into the blogs and such where people will swear up and down that HFCS, aspartame etc will kill you in any amount, and write that many people believe it is dangerous but then I'll go into how these substances aren't inherently bad for you and finish off with my personal opinion on why I do not support the topic. Thanks again! Measly repped all of you!