PDA

View Full Version : Can I get some advice on what I'm putting in my protein shake?

d12h3
09-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Currently I'm blending the following and using it as a post-workout protein shake:

3 scoops of my protein powder (the standard amount)
A handful of organic rolled oats
One banana
Tablespoon of peanut butter
Tablespoon of honey
Teaspoon of organic coconut oil
Teaspoon of organic butter
All mixed with full cream milk

Just wondering what everyone thinks of this?

Thanks

Gxp23
09-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Looks like a generic shake.

ummme
09-17-2013, 07:43 AM
it looks like a high calorie protein shake... I assume thats what its suppose to be?

And 3 scoops?

d12h3
09-17-2013, 07:44 AM
I was specifically wondering if the coconut oil and the butter are actually healthy? I've tried to research online but of course there's no straightforward answer. Some say it's healthy, others not.

d12h3
09-17-2013, 07:46 AM
it looks like a high calorie protein shake... I assume thats what its suppose to be?

And 3 scoops?

My goal is to bulk up so yeah I was aiming for high calories and carbs.

And the 3 scoops = 60g, which is about 25g protein and 30g carbs for the powder I'm using.

ummme
09-17-2013, 07:46 AM
there's nothing unhealthy about them... you cant really cherry pick an item or two from your daily diet and label them, at the end of the day the sum of your diet is really what has to be complete and 'healthy'.

ummme
09-17-2013, 07:47 AM
You know you get no unique benefits from more protein past .8g/lb? after that its just more calories... expensive calories usually.

WonderPug
09-17-2013, 07:52 AM
A milkshake made from just premium ice cream and whole milk would probably be tastier and would be at least as nutrient dense.

Gxp23
09-17-2013, 07:54 AM
A milkshake made from just premium ice cream and whole milk would probably be tastier and would be at least as nutrient dense.

I can confirm, drinking chocolate milk right now, some ice cream in it would make my day.

ironwill2008
09-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Currently I'm blending the following and using it as a post-workout protein shake:

3 scoops of my protein powder (the standard amount)
A handful of organic rolled oats
One banana
Tablespoon of peanut butter
Tablespoon of honey
Teaspoon of organic coconut oil
Teaspoon of organic butter
All mixed with full cream milk

Just wondering what everyone thinks of this?

It looks good, much better than some ****ty "gainer" powder.

Not sure how appetizing putting butter in there would be, but taste is up to you, OP.

Weston1985
09-17-2013, 08:50 AM
You could add spinach, kale or some other leafy green while greatly increasing the micronutrient load of your shake without comprising flavor. It will turn the shake green in color but you won't be able to taste it. Doesn't add many calories but that isn't really the point. You could also replace the butter and oil with flax/hemp/chia seed and add berries for more calories and more nutrients. Overall, like Ironwill said, it is better than some pre-made mass gainers. Good luck!

Oh and adding the liquid in the blender first and making sure the more dense items are on top will help it blend better FYI in case you didn't know.