PDA

View Full Version : Protein & Cutting

vgaldo123
09-15-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm 5'11 186 lbs and currently cutting on 213.1g of protein. That is approx. 1.14g/lb bw. I know the range should be 1-1.5g/lb bw, but would it be best to increase it more to help preserve muscle mass? Or should I keep it at 213.1g protein so my carbs don't have to be decreased any further for now?

belligerent
09-15-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm 5'11 186 lbs and currently cutting on 213.1g of protein. That is approx. 1.14g/lb bw. I know the range should be 1-1.5g/lb bw, but would it be best to increase it more to help preserve muscle mass? Or should I keep it at 213.1g protein so my carbs don't have to be decreased any further for now?

Think of the turtle and the hair.

vgaldo123
09-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Think of the turtle and the hair.

wut?

belligerent
09-15-2013, 09:02 PM
wut?

Yes.

SacramentoZach
09-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Ramp up to 213.2 and you'll be good.

Not srs. Your fine where your at, OP.

The best way to know the answer is to try it and see if you like it.

sa7soon
09-15-2013, 11:24 PM

You don't need that much protein! 0.82 g/lb has been considered the MAXIMUM required amount of protein for bulking/cutting for some time now.

Read this: http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

AlwaysTryin
09-15-2013, 11:28 PM
You don't need that much protein! 0.82 g/lb has been considered the MAXIMUM required amount of protein for bulking/cutting for some time now.

Read this: http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

I rather extra especially when cutting to ensure needs are met taking into account inaccuracies in measuring and protein quality etc

SacramentoZach
09-15-2013, 11:57 PM
I rather extra especially when cutting to ensure needs are met taking into account inaccuracies in measuring and protein quality etc

This.

Don't tell WP, but I easily eat 1.5g/lb all day, erry day. It just happens with the meals I eat.

sa7soon
09-16-2013, 01:26 AM

This I can definitely understand, and it's a very logical approach. Which I will implement, kudos.

This.

Don't tell WP, but I easily eat 1.5g/lb all day, erry day. It just happens with the meals I eat.

This, however, is way over the top and unnecessary. I find it hard to consume 230 g/day, if I were to eat 1.5g/lb that would be 412.5 g/day... Yeah, not happening.

dgillead
09-16-2013, 01:32 AM
wut?

Lol I think he meant turtle and hare, as in slow and steady wins the race.

AlwaysTryin
09-16-2013, 01:57 AM
Lol I think he meant turtle and hare, as in slow and steady wins the race.
Yeah he just can't spell lol

jedi-dude
09-16-2013, 02:06 AM
I prefer higher protein when cutting, I seem to retain way more muscle when I do. The only problem is, the higher the protein, the lower the carbs. If you're hitting the gym hard, you'll need those carbs to keep your energy levels up.

Worth trying higher protein to see if you like it, but it's really hard to keep the intensity there when you're very low carb.

frankenstein78
09-16-2013, 03:17 AM
OP you are pissing your money away. Unless you're beginning a heavy gear cycle, cut your current protein intake in half, if not more. Please do some research that isn't sponsored by a company trying to sell you supplements. If you're currently training for a marathon or working out like 3 hours a day, you may need up to about 150 grams per day at your weight. Otherwise eat some real food and stop listening to broscience which has no actual science to back it up.

AlwaysTryin
09-16-2013, 03:33 AM
OP you are pissing your money away. Unless you're beginning a heavy gear cycle, cut your current protein intake in half, if not more. Please do some research that isn't sponsored by a company trying to sell you supplements. If you're currently training for a marathon or working out like 3 hours a day, you may need up to about 150 grams per day at your weight. Otherwise eat some real food and stop listening to broscience which has no actual science to back it up.

What if he likes eating protein foods