PDA

View Full Version : Politics of Noise

GreatOldOne
09-13-2013, 06:40 PM
FRUWtrgTpcs

Jazz used to be regarded as noise. Is there any argument that today's culture creates a new form of music that will one day be regarded as Jazz is now?

Consider Thelonious Monk...

Compare to Fatboy Slim (obviously old...but, perhaps a good candidate for 'noise')

Gu86_bZAvXM

dakensta
09-13-2013, 06:54 PM
FRUWtrgTpcs Is there any argument that today's culture creates a new form of music that will one day be regarded as Jazz is now?
How is Jazz regarded now? A lot of people don't understand it. Like they don't understand Bach, or Buxtehude.
A simple tune, and someone singing about some sort of emotion is what most people like, always has been, always will be.
Most people don't like music, they like what it sounds like. When they like what it sounds like.
All else is shyt, and/or gay, and/or rubbish.

GreatOldOne
09-13-2013, 07:02 PM
How is Jazz regarded now? A lot of people don't understand it. Like they don't understand Bach, or Buxtehude.
A simple tune, and someone singing about some sort of emotion is what most people like, always has been, always will be.
Most people don't like music, they like what it sounds like. When they like what it sounds like.
All else is shyt, and/or gay, and/or rubbish.

Well the understanding of Jazz now has moved on to something else by most people...what replaced 'what was' is now, 'popular music'. At the time it was completely different, much more like classical music although not that as that was changing of course.

Most people want to be distracted or else not bothered by music and jazz got in the way. For some time, forms such as 'rap' got in the way and now they're in the background. Jazz is now 'in the way again' to some extent.

My OP is less about whether people like it or not or more to the point of whether it is any good...and if that is purely driven by culture or if there is more to an aesthetic determination of 'good' than 'i happen to like it'...and comparing that between different generations.

Weightaholic
09-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Thelonious Monk is great. Reps OP.

Spuddy
09-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Reminds me of this :D

Zf-1F_iIIuw

But if anything is certain, taste will continue to change in every way, shape and form possible