PDA

View Full Version : Will Canelo beat Mayweather?

pg2tall
09-13-2013, 10:50 AM
I think this is Floyd's toughest matchup in a long time.

Finally I hope someone knocks this **** out and keeps him off his pedestal.

gentao
09-13-2013, 10:56 AM
no, doubtful, not a chance

J2BDifferent
09-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Nobody can hit Mayweather. Therefore nobody can beat him.

KobeTho
09-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Canelo needs know that he needs a knockout or else he is not winning 12 rounds with mayweather's gay ass strategy

waytoodeep03
09-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Canelo needs know that he needs a knockout or else he is not winning 12 rounds with mayweather's gay ass strategy

So much this. Ive never seen such boring boxing until I saw mayweather fight.

razorfin
09-13-2013, 11:30 AM

I disagree with the initial statement, I don't think Canelo is that great.

Nevertheless 'Money' getting his ass kicked would be great.

drvillain
09-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Watching opponents throw everything and still not be able to hit mayweather is anything but boring

HankScorp1o
09-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Watch his defense, all these fighters are faster than Canelo:

kK9en6g9JTQ

Canelo's only shot is to land a serious punch and then capitalize on it quickly, otherwise he's going to spend his entire night frustrated and walking into Mayweather's right hand, losing by decision.

Watching opponents throw everything and still not be able to hit mayweather is anything but boringThis. For your average fight fan, it might be boring, but for boxing fans, watching defensive prowess like that is beautiful.

Woogiefied
09-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Watching opponents throw everything and still not be able to hit mayweather is anything but boring

Soooo much this! You have men who train 8-10 hrs a day for months trying to hit the man who's 2 feet in front of you. Then you have mayweather who can duck, dodge and slip everything you can muster up. It truly is an art form.

Ivan7x
09-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Canelo needs know that he needs a knockout or else he is not winning 12 rounds with mayweather's gay ass strategythis

lol at his phaggy undefeated record his fight strategy might be the most beta thing ive ever seen

betaphaggler
09-13-2013, 12:15 PM

Mayweather is art in motion to the trained eye. I trained in boxing for a year so I'm not pretending to be an expert, but the guy puts on a masterpiece display of precision and defense. He's surgical, intelligent and still commands the ring even when defensive. How quickly people forget his form follows in the footsteps of Ali and the great Sugar Ray.

ace_gauntlit
09-13-2013, 12:16 PM
if he does permaban me

GooBaaa
09-13-2013, 12:21 PM
What happens when 2 boxers who depend on using defensive moves fight?

YesWayNoWeigh
09-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Wait you guys are mad Floyd doesn't block punches with his face? Lol "gay ass strategy" do you even boxing?

betaphaggler
09-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Wait you guys are mad Floyd doesn't block punches with his face? Lol "gay ass strategy" do you even boxing?

Pay no attention the layman bra. I mean sheet I was literally exhausted myself after watching Mayweather v. Cotto. He pulled out literally every trick in the boxing book and some I didn't even know existed. The training he does to match against Cotto that long has to be ridiculous.

TBProdigy
09-13-2013, 12:56 PM
If Alvarez can close the gap well enough to land some hard hitting combinations to the body and head, he can definitely win. The keyword for Canelo is controlled aggression, he can't get frustrated and throw wasted shots or low % shots, he'll just leave himself open to be countered all night, whilst he rests/recovers, Mayweather has no offense. If he dictates and picks his own spells to fight in, he can definitely win, no doubt. He also needs to get into Mayweather and shake him up early, a big first round is a must, to make Mayweather think twice/reconsider/hesitate about taking advantage of openings.

Anyway to those saying Mayweather is not boring, lets not kid ourselves, it doesn't matter how you spin it, Mayweather's style is not exciting nor the most appealing to an amateur or casual. The most exciting will always be an all or nothing heavy handed Brawler that leaves their chin hanging in the air and swings for the fences, a big heart e.t.c(I say this as a longtime boxing fan and competitive amateur boxer).

Edit: For the record Mattyhsee KO is a guarenteed lock, I don't care how low priced it is, it's free money.

FMCMuscle
09-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Floyd by KO. (srs)

MCrow
09-13-2013, 01:21 PM
You'd think at some point Mayweather would start slowing down and he'd start to get caught and get KO'd but we haven't really seen hims slow much.

TBProdigy
09-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Floyd by KO. (srs)

If Alvarez slows down his work rate and Mayweather steps on the gas in the 9th/10th/11th/12, this is actually a good possibility. I don't think Floyd has the power to Knock him out though, Mayweather TKO in the late rounds is a good shout

bigpoppi18
09-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Alvarez by split decision. wizard here

FMCMuscle
09-13-2013, 01:33 PM
If Alvarez slows down his work rate and Mayweather steps on the gas in the 9th/10th/11th/12, this is actually a good possibility. I don't think Floyd has the power to Knock him out though, Mayweather TKO in the late rounds is a good shout

That's what I'm leaning towards. I think by the 6th round Mayweather will be landing a lot of punches. I do not subscribe to the hype of Alvarez.

drvillain
09-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Alvarez by split decision. wizard here

lol I see this as the LEAST likely way for the match to end.

bigpoppi18
09-13-2013, 02:15 PM
lol I see this as the LEAST likely way for the match to end.

yea but if it does then what????

drvillain
09-13-2013, 02:26 PM
yea but if it does then what????

then you win the internetz

Takezaki
09-13-2013, 02:39 PM
lol

WRXbrah
09-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Will he? Unlikely... Is he capable? Sure

Gimme +529 on Canelo via KO/TKO/DQ for $100

IH8RICE
09-13-2013, 03:04 PM
I think Floyd's superior defense will yet again prove too much for Alvarez. I think he will get frustrated and get jabbed to death. Granted I'd love to see Floyd with great defense AND power but his entire strategy is to completely boggle your senses and confuse you. Once this happens its over.

Runit23
09-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Off topic.

Anyone watching the weigh ins right now???

dannyg2127
09-13-2013, 03:17 PM
I didn't even watch Mayweather-Guererro because it was such a terrible and obvious matchup.... this one is much more intriguing

Land_Down_Under
09-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Maybe Floyd's age might catch up with him, I hope canelo tko him but atleast land a few power shots. Floyd didn't get to where he is without being one of the best

Briisk
09-13-2013, 03:20 PM
god i hope this guy smashes the living **** out of mayweather

firstandgoal
09-13-2013, 03:24 PM

If Floyd loses to a weight drained fighter, his legacy will be in jeopardy.

No way he should lose to Canelo, an if he does nobody better say age, thats BS, he is coming off his shortest inactivity ever and fighting a guy with dry lips and skin who looks like he sapped his body of every fluid.

jamesbwbevis
09-13-2013, 03:29 PM
will not happen

sups31
09-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Floyd is 36, not like he's fighting in his prime here....

ace_gauntlit
09-13-2013, 03:35 PM
god i hate showtime

omare5577
09-13-2013, 03:38 PM
watching opponents throw everything and still not be able to hit mayweather is anything but boring

^^^ this!!

TBProdigy
09-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Floyd is 36, not like he's fighting in his prime here....

You can't be serious preparing the age excuse already, especially when this is his first actual serious challenge

MTCC
09-13-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm buying into the hype... Why is everyone so confident with Floyd on this one? He's not fighting at a favorable weight class. As said above, canelo needs to get after mayweather early and win the first round with limiting Floyd's counter opportunities. The true test for canelo is going to come in the later rounds with his conditioning. He can't afford to get sloppy and let Floyd capitalize like he did against cotto. I don't think Floyd's felt power like canelos in awhile either, I have canelo winning.

sups31
09-13-2013, 03:47 PM
You can't be serious preparing the age excuse already, especially when this is his first actual serious challenge
Excuse? I'm saying he's an old phaggot. Fighting someone 13 years younger is a huge disadvantage and I hope he gets his sh!t pushed in as a result.

StarfaceChris
09-13-2013, 03:48 PM
nah. paciaqua would've knocked his ass out about 3-4 years ago but meyweather was too scuured to fight him so..

TheIronAsylum
09-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Canelo all the way

lightedshadows
09-13-2013, 03:54 PM
is mayweather v pacquiao ever going to happen

drvillain
09-13-2013, 03:55 PM
nah. paciaqua would've knocked his ass out about 3-4 years ago but meyweather was too scuured to fight him so..

Just like he did to Marquez, right?

is mayweather v pacquiao ever going to happen

I doubt it

TBProdigy
09-13-2013, 04:01 PM

I don't think he would have troubled by Pacquiao, but on the off chance he loses tomorrow, i'm going to laugh if I hear the phrase, "past his prime"

athrun340
09-13-2013, 04:06 PM
I'm buying into the hype... Why is everyone so confident with Floyd on this one? He's not fighting at a favorable weight class. As said above, canelo needs to get after mayweather early and win the first round with limiting Floyd's counter opportunities. The true test for canelo is going to come in the later rounds with his conditioning. He can't afford to get sloppy and let Floyd capitalize like he did against cotto. I don't think Floyd's felt power like canelos in awhile either, I have canelo winning.

- too slow
- too raw
- lacks stamina
- lacks experience
- not fighting in the best condition

floyd will pick him apart. But of course, theres always a chance Canelo wins by KO just like what happened in the Pacquiao-Marquez fight. Nothing is impossible in boxing.

Hercegovac8
09-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Only chance Canelo has in this fight is to knock Floyd out early, before round 4 or 5

After round 5 Floyd will get Canelo's pattern down, and will slip all of his punches. Also Canelo lacks stamina, and will get tired towards the end of the fight

Most likel outcome is Maywheather via ud

visionz1234
09-13-2013, 04:26 PM
The only factor in this fight is Floyd's age. The question for all his fights from here on out will be, "Will Floyd's age show itself tonight?". If not, everyone loses. There's no one as technically skilled as Floyd in boxing at the moment. His style is susceptible to the same fate as guys like Roy Jones, though. When age rears its ugly head and that athleticism suddenly gets sapped, that's when Floyd will lose (if he fights long enough for that to happen). One thing to note is he didn't look as sharp in his last two fights.

TBProdigy
09-13-2013, 04:38 PM
The only factor in this fight is Floyd's age. The question for all his fights from here on out will be, "Will Floyd's age show itself tonight?". If not, everyone loses. There's no one as technically skilled as Floyd in boxing at the moment. His style is susceptible to the same fate as guys like Roy Jones, though. When age rears its ugly head and that athleticism suddenly gets sapped, that's when Floyd will lose (if he fights long enough for that to happen). One thing to note is he didn't look as sharp in his last two fights.

So what you're saying is...if he wins hes the same Floyd Mayweather but if he loses you are gonna devalue it instantly with the excuse that he's a shot fighter? That idea just happens to coincide with the fact he's actually facing a real test in terms of opposition for once

MTCC
09-13-2013, 04:44 PM
- too slow
- too raw
- lacks stamina
- lacks experience
- not fighting in the best condition

floyd will pick him apart. But of course, theres always a chance Canelo wins by KO just like what happened in the Pacquiao-Marquez fight. Nothing is impossible in boxing.

I wouldn't say Pac/Marquez was even close... Pac is a brawler where as Marquez is a counter boxer, Marquez got to see Mannys game plan and tendencies 3 times, it was a matter of time before manny got his chin busted. I agree with you on lacking stamina and experience, but he's pretty quick and he has power that Floyd hasn't felt in a long time.

visionz1234
09-13-2013, 04:44 PM
So what you're saying is...if he wins hes the same Floyd Mayweather but if he loses you are gonna devalue it instantly with the excuse that he's a shot fighter? That idea just happens to coincide with the fact he's actually facing a real test in terms of opposition for once

Yes, because Canelo is no where near Floyd's level technically.

I have no idea why people like you are saying this is a 'real test for once'. Canelo is outclassed in every department aside from punching power, thus a punchers chance.

Woogiefied
09-13-2013, 04:49 PM
If Floyd loses to a weight drained fighter, his legacy will be in jeopardy.

No way he should lose to Canelo, an if he does nobody better say age, thats BS, he is coming off his shortest inactivity ever and fighting a guy with dry lips and skin who looks like he sapped his body of every fluid.

Lol at "weight drained fighter", knowing when they fight tomorrow he'll be around 170 while Mayweather will be about 155. GTFO of here with that nonsense.

TBProdigy
09-13-2013, 04:52 PM

I have no idea why people like you are saying this is a 'real test for once'. Canelo is outclassed in every department aside from punching power, thus a punchers chance.

This is boxing you fuking phaggot not fuking taekwando, raw power has always been a legit game plan. You don't win by throwing the prettiest punches or by displaying great ineffective technique. The idea is to make your opponent leave the ring in a stretcher or dominate them thoroughly by landing more punches, neither has any more validity than the other. Canelo goes to the school of throwing punches with bad intentions and Mayweather to the school of the sweet science.

If Canelo wins Mayweathers legacy is going to be destroyed and if M wins, his legacy is going to be bolstered, it was always a risky fight, there's no room for excuses like "he landed one of his lucky bone breaking shots"

sensiblebrah
09-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Canelo is a lot better than people give him credit for, he's got a good +/- ratio of hitting and not getting hit, just behind Mayweather, he rehydrates to 170 and will have at least a 15lb functional weight advantage over Floyd on fight night, he's also faster than people think.

sensiblebrah
09-13-2013, 04:56 PM

He's a faster combination puncher too, and physically stronger.

visionz1234
09-13-2013, 05:03 PM
This is boxing you fuking phaggot not fuking taekwando, raw power has always been a legit game plan.

Stopped reading there.

He's a faster combination puncher too, and physically stronger.

Agreed on strength. Combination speed, maybe....but Mayweather's whole style revolves more around concussive shots rather than flurries.

YesWayNoWeigh
09-13-2013, 05:14 PM
This is boxing you fuking phaggot not fuking taekwando, raw power has always been a legit game plan. You don't win by throwing the prettiest punches or by displaying great ineffective technique. The idea is to make your opponent leave the ring in a stretcher or dominate them thoroughly by landing more punches, neither has any more validity than the other. Canelo goes to the school of throwing punches with bad intentions and Mayweather to the school of the sweet science.

If Canelo wins Mayweathers legacy is going to be destroyed and if M wins, his legacy is going to be bolstered, it was always a risky fight, there's no room for excuses like "he landed one of his lucky bone breaking shots"legacy destroyed cause of his first loss? gooby i dont think so

TBProdigy
09-13-2013, 05:25 PM
legacy destroyed cause of his first loss? gooby i dont think so

Legacy destroyed for losing in his most monumental fight with the biggest step up in class in his career bar none. You don't go down an ATG dominating weak, hand picked competition and losing career defining fights, you have to do both.

YesWayNoWeigh
09-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Legacy destroyed for losing in his most monumental fight with the biggest step up in class in his career bar none. You don't go down an ATG dominating weak, hand picked competition and losing career defining fights, you have to do both.his legacy is already solidified. you think canelo is the best fighter hes ever faced? lol hes not even p4p

aesthetic69ibby
09-13-2013, 05:30 PM
mayweather has a reason to be cocky. no way canelo is going to beat hit. mayweather is just too quick

TBProdigy
09-13-2013, 05:33 PM
his legacy is already solidified. you think canelo is the best fighter hes ever faced? lol hes not even p4p

He poses the biggest threat due to style match ups by far.

If the result is positive tomorrow, it will be used in Mayweathers favor in terms of legacy, if it's in Alvarez', of course it's going to have a negative impact. Especially since the undefeated tag meant so much to him

TinyHandsBrah
09-13-2013, 05:37 PM
People are seriously overrating canelo. He has over 40 fights and has only fought a bunch of nobodies. Floyd by UD.

betaphaggler
09-13-2013, 05:38 PM
his legacy is already solidified. you think canelo is the best fighter hes ever faced? lol hes not even p4p

awwww yeaaaaaaa, my ***** always laying down the troof when it comes to boxing. I always lol hard "he hasn't faced anyone good", people said all said Guerrero, Correlas, Hatton and De La Hoya were all the chit until they hit the Mayweather wall. It's equivalent to saying "Bobby Fischer was so good because no one was else was good at that time", when in reality there were titans during his time, Fischer was just a god among men.

IMO he's already solidified himself as the most technically gifted boxer in history.

firstandgoal
09-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Lol at "weight drained fighter", knowing when they fight tomorrow he'll be around 170 while Mayweather will be about 155. GTFO of here with that nonsense.

Why should I get out? It came from Floyd and his dads own lips, watch all access they were making fun of Canelo still being in a sweat suit, his father said canelo will be nice and drained and weak trying to make weight.

Floyd even said he never fights guys at catchweights and said Miguel Cotto was undefeated because Pacman fought him at a catchweight and he was drained. So Floyd is willing to drain Canelo.

Whats so difficult to see here

YesWayNoWeigh
09-13-2013, 05:51 PM

If the result is positive tomorrow, it will be used in Mayweathers favor in terms of legacy, if it's in Alvarez', of course it's going to have a negative impact. Especially since the undefeated tag meant so much to himlosing will hurt floyds current stock but wont hurt his over all legacy at all, dude is 36 and has been in the top 10 p4p for 15 years, literally

visionz1234
09-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Why should I get out? It came from Floyd and his dads own lips, watch all access they were making fun of Canelo still being in a sweat suit, his father said canelo will be nice and drained and weak trying to make weight.

Floyd even said he never fights guys at catchweights and said Miguel Cotto was undefeated because Pacman fought him at a catchweight and he was drained. So Floyd is willing to drain Canelo.

Whats so difficult to see here

Because the absolute here is that Canelo will out weigh Floyd by ~20lbs and Floyd is a natural 135'er that has gone up in weight over his career but couldn't hit the 152 limit for this fight. The 'drained fighter' thing is up in the air. Canelo may or may not be affected by it. We don't know how he feels for sure.

???

Alvarez is a power puncher that tries (edit: 'likes' to box is a better phrase, not tries, because it has worked) to box. That's not the biggest threat stylistically. If anything that gives Floyd more room to work within the weight disadvantage. If he doesn't put Floyd down within ~6, it may turn into a Hatton repeat.

TBProdigy
09-13-2013, 06:19 PM
losing will hurt floyds current stock but wont hurt his over all legacy at all, dude is 36 and has been in the top 10 p4p for 15 years, literally

He's been in the top 10 by dominating very limited one dimensional fighters for years. This is the only fight with the serous potential of being out of his comfort zone/control, which is why i'm surprised he took this fight. Believe me if he loses this fight it's going to hurt him bad in years to come, boxing historians will hold factor it into his career without a doubt. How can you relegate a fighter that retired undefeated after winning his two biggest Career defining fights like Calzaghe beneath a guy that lost on the biggest stage versus one of the few fighters that could actually expose his physical weaknesses?

If Amir Khan fought only soft hitting, boxing technicians/pressure fighters he'd be a dominant world champion by now.

Alvarez is a power puncher that tries (edit: 'likes' to box is a better phrase, not tries, because it has worked) to box. That's not the biggest threat stylistically. If anything that gives Floyd more room to work within the weight disadvantage. If he doesn't put Floyd down within ~6, it may turn into a Hatton repeat.

That's exactly the point, Alvarez is an over sized, hard hitter at 154. Floyd isn't in any danger of being out boxed, but the opportunity of being purely overpowered is a very realistic threat for this fight

I think the Odds for an Alvarez KO are way overpriced, but again this is boxing and anything can happen.

YesWayNoWeigh
09-13-2013, 06:33 PM
lol ok im pretty sure youre trolling hard now, or youre just that dumb and biased to even mention calzaghe and khan in the same sentence as floyd.

TBProdigy
09-13-2013, 06:49 PM
lol ok im pretty sure youre trolling hard now, or youre just that dumb and biased to even mention calzaghe and khan in the same sentence as floyd.

I don't troll, my time is too precious to be wasted seeking reactions from losers that I couldn't possibly care less about. Those two fighters fitted into the scheme of my post and no Floyds resume does not put him on a pedestal that can not be compared with other boxers.

Since you refuse to listen to logic, let's just look forward to the fight tomorrow, I think It will be exciting whatever direction it goes in.

This fight is a Sergio Martinez Vs Julio César Chávez, Jr, clone to me.

azmal
09-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Canelo is the first fighter in the history of the sport to sit down on a stool on the main stage just before weigh in. Trust me he is drained and tired as fuk.

lol at people mentioning Floyd's legacy, he doesn't have much of a legacy, his best wins were below 140lbs.

gentao
09-13-2013, 06:51 PM
I don't troll, my time is too precious to be wasted seeking reactions from losers that I couldn't possibly care less about. Those two fighters fitted into the scheme of my post and no Floyds resume does not put him on a pedestal that can not be compared with other boxers.

Lol

JONAKAI
09-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Mayweather has never fought anyone like Canelo. Every punch Canelo throws is a power punch. One of 2 things will happen, Canelo catches him, or Canelo tires out and loses by decision. Mayweather CANNOT finish fights, Canelo can.

VIVA MEXICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JONAKAI
09-13-2013, 06:58 PM
awwww yeaaaaaaa, my ***** always laying down the troof when it comes to boxing. I always lol hard "he hasn't faced anyone good", people said all said Guerrero, Correlas, Hatton and De La Hoya were all the chit until they hit the Mayweather wall. It's equivalent to saying "Bobby Fischer was so good because no one was else was good at that time", when in reality there were titans during his time, Fischer was just a god among men.

IMO he's already solidified himself as the most technically gifted boxer in history.

NOPE.... Ali, Robinson, Roy Jones Jr...... all more technically gifted and fought tougher opponents, not to say he isnt good though.

MustangSally2
09-13-2013, 06:58 PM
if he does permaban me

lolled hard - Canelo has knockout power nonetheless...at least he has a "puncher's chance" and could very well knockout mayweather..the older and older he gets I think he gets even cockier and eventually he'll underestimate an opponent so bad that he'll get rocked.

Baller01
09-13-2013, 07:26 PM
if he does permaban me

Quoted

jaySWAG
09-13-2013, 07:32 PM

only if he knocks him out in the first 3-4 rounds before he gasses

if it goes 12 its a mayweather fight

jaySWAG
09-13-2013, 07:35 PM
What happens when 2 boxers who depend on using defensive moves fight?

u dont have this problem in this fight

YesWayNoWeigh
09-13-2013, 07:39 PM

Since you refuse to listen to logic, let's just look forward to the fight tomorrow, I think It will be exciting whatever direction it goes in.

This fight is a Sergio Martinez Vs Julio César Chávez, Jr, clone to me.
what logic? calzaghe has a shiit resume compared to floyd and its not even close.
brb geurrero top 3 at 147
ortiz top 3 at 147
cotto #1 at 154
marquez top 5 p4p
mosley #3 p4p
delahoya #1 154
hatton undefeated top 10 p4p

and thats just from 2007, but ya hes never fought anybody lols

NOPE.... Ali, Robinson, Roy Jones Jr...... all more technically gifted and fought tougher opponents, not to say he isnt good though.rjj is not technical he was a freak athlete. saying floyd is the most technical boxer of all time isnt that far of a stretch

betaphaggler
09-13-2013, 08:33 PM
NOPE.... Ali, Robinson, Roy Jones Jr...... all more technically gifted and fought tougher opponents, not to say he isnt good though.

If you notice something, from his credentials, to his fighting style to his record to his talent, the boxers only able to relate to Mayweather are Ali, Robinson and Louis (I derped by forgetting him). I agree Mayweather fought lessor opponents, but that doesn't mean he's still not the most technically sound boxer in history save Robinson if we could truly see his prime. You can see this either by comparing tapes, or by statistics he's possibly the best precision fighter of all time http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7780088/floyd-mayweather-jr-measures-boxing-greats

visionz1234
09-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Dat mismatch.