PDA

View Full Version : Carb cycling vs. Regular cutting diet

vgaldo123
09-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Carb cycling vs regular cutting diet?

Which one wins the debate for quicker overall fat loss?

matman1813
09-13-2013, 07:09 AM
The one with lower calories.

lee__d
09-13-2013, 07:14 AM
The one with lower calories.\

lol, this.

But carb cycling can have it's merits if you do it right: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ultimate-diet-20

Also, I see nothing wrong with upping carbs on intense workout days, and lowering them on other days (keeping total caloric intake even - or at least even on average).

mavajo
09-13-2013, 07:16 AM
The one with lower calories.

Lol, this.

I've tried to "eat healthy" in the past. That takes a herculean amount of effort for me - healthy food sucks.

IIFYM, though, has been a godsend. The moment I read about it, it instantly made sense. It was so intuitive and uncomplicated. I've been on a roll ever since. I keep reaching my "goal" weight and then lowering it another 5-10 pounds. My goal was to go from 206 to 180. I got near 180, then decided to change my goal to 175. Then 170. Then 160. Now my goal is 150.

Haven't tried carb cycling. IIFYM is just so simple and effective that I haven't bothered looking into any other methods. IIFYM is also the most sustainable diet plan. That's what makes it the big winner, IMO.

vgaldo123
09-13-2013, 07:19 AM
\

lol, this.

But carb cycling can have it's merits if you do it right: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ultimate-diet-20

Also, I see nothing wrong with upping carbs on intense workout days, and lowering them on other days (keeping total caloric intake even - or at least even on average).

Weekly total macros > daily total macros? Am I right? I might try carb cycling. I don't have any problems with low carb days. Chits easy brahs..

Btw do you recommend buying that book?

lee__d
09-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Weekly total macros > daily total macros? Am I right? I might try carb cycling. I don't have any problems with low carb days. Chits easy brahs..

Btw do you recommend buying that book?

I would say to a point weekly could be used. But you can't go too extreme with it (i.e. 500 calories daily mon-fri and a sht load of calories on the weekends---not saying you would, just saying).

It's a good book, but a crazy tough diet and workout plan to stick to. It's for people who are ~10-12% bf or less (you look almost there from your avi).

RocknRollMuscle
09-13-2013, 11:13 AM
the only benefit I see to carb cycling is increased energy in the gym when you need it and lower carbs when you don't need it. I always work out while cutting AFTER a carb meal. When fasted, a chihuahua could beat me up.

Other than the gym, i see no other benefit. Still boils down to calorie intake.

mavajo
09-13-2013, 11:15 AM
the only benefit I see to carb cycling is increased energy in the gym when you need it and lower carbs when you don't need it. I always work out while cutting AFTER a carb meal. When fasted, a chihuahua could beat me up.

Other than the gym, i see no other benefit. Still boils down to calorie intake.

What's an example of one of your carb meals?

I have almost zero energy on my lifting days. I've got more to give in the strength department, but I just get fatigued and listless so quickly.

sfalexi
09-13-2013, 11:39 AM
I've decided to calorie cycle focusing on weekly macros through manipulating only the carbs. So my weekly macros are, for my particular calorie goal (average of 2200 a day), 40% carbs, 40% proteins, and 40% fats. On two heavy training days I increase the carbs and therefore the calories. On my two days off, I lower the carbs by about the same amount I raised them , which lowers the calories. And since I have my days off being Wednesday and Saturday, it ends up looking like this....

Sun - High calorie
Mon - Medium calorie
Tue - Medium Calorie
Wed - Low Calorie
Thu - High Calorie
Fri - Med Calorie
Sat - Low Calorie

Average for the week is 2200 a day, average macros are around 40/40/20.

This is while I'm cutting for a competition in 6 weeks. I'm also lowering my daily average calories each week through only the carbs keeping my high calorie days the same. So next week, my average intake will be 2150 a day, but Sun and Thu will be the same high calorie days. And I drop the 50 calories by losing 1/4 cup of brown rice each day.

Alexi

vgaldo123
09-13-2013, 12:59 PM
I've decided to calorie cycle focusing on weekly macros through manipulating only the carbs. So my weekly macros are, for my particular calorie goal (average of 2200 a day), 40% carbs, 40% proteins, and 40% fats. On two heavy training days I increase the carbs and therefore the calories. On my two days off, I lower the carbs by about the same amount I raised them , which lowers the calories. And since I have my days off being Wednesday and Saturday, it ends up looking like this....

Sun - High calorie
Mon - Medium calorie
Tue - Medium Calorie
Wed - Low Calorie
Thu - High Calorie
Fri - Med Calorie
Sat - Low Calorie

Average for the week is 2200 a day, average macros are around 40/40/20.

This is while I'm cutting for a competition in 6 weeks. I'm also lowering my daily average calories each week through only the carbs keeping my high calorie days the same. So next week, my average intake will be 2150 a day, but Sun and Thu will be the same high calorie days. And I drop the 50 calories by losing 1/4 cup of brown rice each day.

Alexi

Great info. Looking good bro!

RocknRollMuscle
09-13-2013, 01:05 PM

I have almost zero energy on my lifting days. I've got more to give in the strength department, but I just get fatigued and listless so quickly.

Anything from a fruit to protein shake to a snicker bar. It depends. Usually lift an hour or so after a meal. That meal varies. I just ate a high carb meal. I could UFC fight godzilla right now.

vgaldo123
09-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Anything from a fruit to protein shake to a snicker bar. It depends. Usually lift an hour or so after a meal. That meal varies. I just ate a high carb meal. I could UFC fight godzilla right now.

Preworkout you should be eating complex carbs rather than fruit or a candy bar. You'll prob have better energy levels.

BACCuS91
09-13-2013, 02:33 PM

McDonald's ice cream cone. My secret pre workout meal...heh sometimes post workout too lol