PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any football advice?

steelerfan412
09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
I play college football at a D3 school. I'm a junior on the offensive line. Entering camp, our center was the only returning starter. I began as 2nd team left tackle. The 5th or 6th day of camp, the left tackle gets a concussion in a drill. So I figure its my chance to step up, however, I wasn't inserted with the 1st teamers to at least learn. They moved the right guard to left tackle, the center to right tackle, the right tackle to right guard, the back up center (who had reps there in previous seasons, he's also the starting long snapper) became the starter, and they put a FRESHMAN at left guard and the senior left guard got beat out by that freshman.

I don't even know why the coaches didn't even pay attention to me. The travel squad list (1st and 2nd string players) came out earlier this week, and I didn't even get on it. Instead of me, that original 1st team left tackle got on who only did FOUR DAYS OF CAMP, and another offensive lineman got on who got hurt in the summer preparing for the conditioning test, and he DIDNT EVEN DO CAMP due to injury. They BOTH got on over me.

The O-line coach was the starting center when I was a freshman, so I'm thinking he might be being a little bias, since me and him didn't really talk much when we were teammates. This is seriously the angriest I've ever been in my life. Those 2 that got on travel squad DID NOT play in both of our scrimmages, and I played in both. If I started on the travel squad, and they out played me for that spot, then I could understand that, but the one kid did ZERO days of camp. He wasn't even on campus for the first 5 days cause he was at the doctors.

The O-line coach told us when camp started: "Don't tell me why you should have your spot, SHOW me!!" I feel like I need to speak to him, and my head coach, despite what the O-line coach said. Are my coaches being unfair and playing favorites? Any advice on what I should do?

TBProdigy
09-10-2013, 08:06 PM
I play college football at a D3 school. I'm a junior on the offensive line. Entering camp, our center was the only returning starter. I began as 2nd team left tackle. The 5th or 6th day of camp, the left tackle gets a concussion in a drill. So I figure its my chance to step up, however, I wasn't inserted with the 1st teamers to at least learn. They moved the right guard to left tackle, the center to right tackle, the right tackle to right guard, the back up center (who had reps there in previous seasons, he's also the starting long snapper) became the starter, and they put a FRESHMAN at left guard and the senior left guard got beat out by that freshman.

I don't even know why the coaches didn't even pay attention to me. The travel squad list (1st and 2nd string players) came out earlier this week, and I didn't even get on it. Instead of me, that original 1st team left tackle got on who only did FOUR DAYS OF CAMP, and another offensive lineman got on who got hurt in the summer preparing for the conditioning test, and he DIDNT EVEN DO CAMP due to injury. They BOTH got on over me.

The O-line coach was the starting center when I was a freshman, so I'm thinking he might be being a little bias, since me and him didn't really talk much when we were teammates. This is seriously the angriest I've ever been in my life. Those 2 that got on travel squad DID NOT play in both of our scrimmages, and I played in both. If I started on the travel squad, and they out played me for that spot, then I could understand that, but the one kid did ZERO days of camp. He wasn't even on campus for the first 5 days cause he was at the doctors.

The O-line coach told us when camp started: "Don't tell me why you should have your spot, SHOW me!!" I feel like I need to speak to him, and my head coach, despite what the O-line coach said. Are my coaches being unfair and playing favorites? Any advice on what I should do?

Improve and make it clear beyond doubt that you are the best option for the position?

Fix your diet
Do extra drills for agility/movement/balance
Go harder in the weightroom/improve your routine
Study videos of elite LT's
Improve conditioning
e.t.c

steelerfan412
09-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Improve and make it clear beyond doubt that you are the best option for the position?

Fix your diet
Do extra drills for agility/movement/balance
Go harder in the weightroom/improve your routine
Study videos of elite LT's
Improve conditioning
e.t.c

I see, anything else?...

repos
09-10-2013, 09:08 PM
I see, anything else?...They have no respect for you so you got to earn it. Meaning be more aggressive finish your block. Everything TBProdigy said also. To be a good LT you have to be a technician technique is key, also you have to be able to move so include flexibility training. The thing you can change now is to be aggressive