PDA

View Full Version : Caloric Surplus and diet question

Hitter52
09-10-2013, 11:29 AM
So i'm coming off an uneducated dirty bulk where i got super fat. I learned the hard way lol but, i've been in a caloric deficit for a long time now. My cut ended at about 183 pounds from me weighing 230 pounds. I cut for a very long time and had a lot of fat to lose and to my surprise i was the same strength at 183 pounds and stronger in some areas than i was at 230. So i'm starting my bulk and was wanting to know how much weight you bros try gain a month while on a caloric surplus? I know you can only gain up to about 2 pounds of pure muscle a month so should i aim for 2 pounds a month? I don't want excessive fat gain.... Also i used the mifflin st. joer formula for calculating my calories and i know this tends to overestimate so i went a little under what it said. I'm at about 3455 calories a day roughly... and my macros are 23% fats/ 23% protein/ 54 % carbs. Also wanted to see what you guys thought of the meal plan im currently using.

Meal plan
1 cup of brown rice
1/2 cup pinto beans
1 tbsp of olive oil
2 eggs
broccoli

meal 2
1 cup of brown rice
1/2 cup pinto beans
1 tbsp of olive oil
2 eggs
asapragus

meal 3 post-workout
pop tarts
jr hamburger
whey protein shake

before bed
whey protein shake

4tbsp of cheese where ever desired

Supplements: Multivitamin/ calcium with zinc and magnesium/ fish oil at least a gallon of water a day i actually drink more though

Mdenatale
09-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Shoot for about 1 lb a week weight gain.

Don't really care about the menu. You want to hit minimum for protein and fat which are based on your body weight. LBM to be precise, but unless your BF is way high using your weight is close enough. You want .82g protein per lb and .4g of fat per pound. You can get the rest of your calories any way you like.

ummme
09-10-2013, 11:36 AM
gaining 2-4lbs a month is a reasonable goal. keep in mind that even at the 2lbs, it will be some fat and some muscle... 2lbs of muscle isnt happening in most situations.

Hitter52
09-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Shoot for about 1 lb a week weight gain.

Don't really care about the menu. You want to hit minimum for protein and fat which are based on your body weight. LBM to be precise, but unless your BF is way high using your weight is close enough. You want .82g protein per lb and .4g of fat per pound. You can get the rest of your calories any way you like.

My body fat is pretty low im sure. Macros are in check. 1lbs a week seems like a lot of weight considering you can only gain like a pound of muscle a month. Is this weight gain inevitable .. I was thinking like gaining maybe 2 pounds a month? Am i overthinking this lol?

Hitter52
09-10-2013, 11:47 AM
gaining 2-4lbs a month is a reasonable goal. keep in mind that even at the 2lbs, it will be some fat and some muscle... 2lbs of muscle isnt happening in most situations.

Yeah i was thinking about well if i put on 2lbs a month what if 1 pound of that is fat or what if only .50 of that is muscle. So aim for 2-4 lbs a month and i'm assuming the fat gain is inevitable in a caloric surplus? This is my first time doing a bulk with an education lol want to do this the right way and not be fat again

Former300lber
09-10-2013, 11:54 AM
I find it almost impossible to track my weight when bulking, last Monday I was 187, this Monday I was 185, today I was 186.5... Just go by the mirror and your strength, and take measurements, some days depending on my last meal I go to bed 193+lbs...

vsportsguy
09-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Unless you're taking steroids, you can't gain a lot of muscle per month. This is what separates the bodybuilders from the rest of us. They have a lot more muscle mass. Anybody can cut down to a lean body fat percentage relatively quickly. But it takes years and years of training to build up your muscle mass. And the longer you've been training, the slower you add on muscle.

Adding on 2-3 lbs per month seems to be a good number where you're efficiently packing on muscle. If you've been training less than a year, try to add a bit more.

vsportsguy
09-10-2013, 12:00 PM
I find it almost impossible to track my weight when bulking, last Monday I was 187, this Monday I was 185, today I was 186.5... Just go by the mirror and your strength, and take measurements, some days depending on my last meal I go to bed 193+lbs...

If you want the most accurate results, weigh yourself in the morning after you have gone to the bathroom. It will fluctuate slightly day to day, but over a week or two you should be able to notice weight change.

ummme
09-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Yeah i was thinking about well if i put on 2lbs a month what if 1 pound of that is fat or what if only .50 of that is muscle. So aim for 2-4 lbs a month and i'm assuming the fat gain is inevitable in a caloric surplus? This is my first time doing a bulk with an education lol want to do this the right way and not be fat again

If you stick to the 2-4/lbs a month range you will keep fat gain as low as possible, it will still happen, and you will eventually want to cut again... but this is really just the facts of life when it comes to bulking.

Vegmaster
09-10-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm new to this but it seems like bulk, cut, bulk, cut ad infinitum to me.

Hitter52
09-10-2013, 02:47 PM

I do the same thing haha lol but you should always weigh yourself in the morning to get an accurate reading

Hitter52
09-10-2013, 05:17 PM
If you stick to the 2-4/lbs a month range you will keep fat gain as low as possible, it will still happen, and you will eventually want to cut again... but this is really just the facts of life when it comes to bulking. yeah I've pretty come to the realization that I will have to put on fat... Geez I can see why people resort to steroids building muscle the natural is a lot more excruciating