PDA

View Full Version : More protein gets me better results but also produces more gas. Any fix?

PenixBowties
09-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Okay guys, I really need some help here because the chemical weapons used in Syria got nothing on what's come'n out my rear end lately... haha

Over the past two months I've been slowly increasing my protein intake, an additional 24g-36g per week (1 scoop of powder or 1 chicken breast). The performance gains and pumps have been awesome! It also seems as though I'm starting to crave even more protein as I go along too.

Here's what my intake was like yesterday...

Meal 1: (Protein shake) 8:00
2 cups fat free milk
2 scoops whey protein
1 whole banana
Animal Pak multivitamin

Meal 2: (Post workout drink) 12:00
2 scoops whey protein

Meal 3: (Tuna wraps) 13:00
2 olive oil tomato basil wraps (high in omega-3's)
2 cans of tuna

Meal 4: (Protein shake) 16:00
2 cups fat free milk
2 scoops whey protein
1 whole banana

Meal 5: (Snack) 19:00
1 cup cashews
2 whole plums
2 low fat cheese sticks

Meal 6: (Protein shake) 21:00
2 cups fat free milk
2 scoops whey protein
1 whole banana
Animal Pak multivitamin

If I totaled the protein up right then I consumed 322g this day. And yes, I know that was a lot of dairy that day but that's not always the case, most of the time I'll only consume 4 cups of fat free milk, 2 with my morning shake and 2 with nighttime shake. This day just happened to be dairy rich. But the dairy is not the issue, that much I know cause I've tried going a full week without dairy without any difference in gas production.

I'm currently consuming around 2g per lb LBM and have no plans of going beyond this as I'm afraid of overtaxing my organs. My strength is steadily increasing and I'm actually leaning up while also packing on muscle... No, I'm not juicing, though I've wondered if that might help this problem as it seems the guys I know who are juicing don't seem to have this problem and they're also consuming 2g per lb LBM. My reasoning here is that the body can only naturally assimilate a certain percentage of the protein consumed, but this percentage increases with AAS. I do not plan on juicing any time soon if at all, so that brings me back to my original question, what can I do to eliminate or at least lessen my "exhaust emissions"? ;)

Thanks y'all!

PenixBowties
09-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Oh, I'm also consuming AT LEAST 1 gallon of water each day, often times closer to 1.5 gallons.

Gxp23
09-10-2013, 11:26 AM
total calories and macros?

ummme
09-10-2013, 11:27 AM
1.) look up mercury poisoning... stop eating so much tuna.
2.) you could get the same gains on 1/2 that much protein.
3.) you need a lot more fat in your diet.

Dragk913
09-10-2013, 11:33 AM
What powder are you using? It might an ingredient in the flavoring/whey mix..?

ETA: or possibly try almond milk instead of dairy milk? I'm slightly lactose intolerant and drinking milk (even though I love it) gives me awful gas.

Mdenatale
09-10-2013, 11:36 AM
http://www.gosale.com/product_images/3979000/3979895-beano-food-enzyme-dietary.jpg

Hitter52
09-10-2013, 11:40 AM
This amount of protein is not necessary and is wasting your money and taxing your liver. Based off looking at your diet your not getting a lot of carbs either, which when you do this it stops the protein from doing its job. Your body has to seperate the nitrogen from the protein and this is especially hard on your liver when you are taken in that much protein. Carbs is your bodys main source of energy and when you cut that off and take in that much protein your body will just say screw you your not giving me carbs ill just use this protein for energy instead of building muscle. You need to figure out your macros and balance your fats proteins and carbs.

PenixBowties
09-10-2013, 11:44 AM
1.) look up mercury poisoning... stop eating so much tuna.
2.) you could get the same gains on 1/2 that much protein.
3.) you need a lot more fat in your diet.

1.) I don't eat that much tuna every day, 6 of the small cans will usually last me two weeks.
2.) I've tried different ratios of C/F/P and so far HIGH protein is giving me the best results.
3.) Agreed! I'm going to start adding flax oil to my first and last shakes, maybe even some avocado.

I stopped calorie counting a while back when I realized that with the way I'm eating it wasn't making much difference, I just track protein and make sure I'm eating plenty of fruits, nuts, and veggies too. I didn't add the veggies in the above but I'm constantly snacking on veggies throughout the day... Baby carrots, celery, broccoli, and so on, all raw and probably a total of about 3-4 cups worth. I also usually add 1/3 cup oatmeal to my shakes but I was out yesterday. I'd say I'm probably close to a 60/30/10 ratio as of right now.

The whey I use is Optimum Nutrition's "100% Whey Gold Standard".

PenixBowties
09-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Does Beano actually work? Funny thing, beans have never given me gas, but cucumbers sure do! haha

hwgarlow
09-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Oh, I'm also consuming AT LEAST 1 gallon of water each day, often times closer to 1.5 gallons.

Are you lactose intollerant?

gbullock32
09-10-2013, 02:11 PM
You really don't need a protein supplement at all, looks like you're getting enough from just food; could save your money.

PenixBowties
09-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Are you lactose intollerant?

Nope, not in the least!

Actually, I may have solved the problem by accident... I was chugging my water as usual at the gym today and suddenly it dawned on me that I never have gas while I'm at the gym, it usually starts about 2 hours or so after I get home from the gym. I also realized that when I'm not working out I'm generally not drinking as much water, most of my intake is in fact at the gym. So rather than falling into that routine again I made it a point today to keep up the rate at which I was drinking water, which means by the end of the day I'll have consumed a little over 2 gallons. Well guess what, so far no gas, no gas bloat, nada!

I'm not 100% sure that this is actually the solution but it kind of makes sense since protein requires more water for proper digestion than carbs or fats. I've also noticed that my post workout pump has last much longer today than it usually does. So I'm thinking the additional water is the trick.

Sullivan0930
09-10-2013, 06:57 PM
i feel you brah. I drop these hot ass farts all day, usually silent. Ive tried probiotics and that doesnt really help. thank god i work outside.

PenixBowties
09-10-2013, 07:02 PM
You really don't need a protein supplement at all, looks like you're getting enough from just food; could save your money.

Considering the rate at which I'm gaining muscle and losing fat with this level of protein intake, I'll keep up what I'm doing... In fact, considering my blood pressure is 105 over 61 and that my last blood test came back better than ideal, and given the added water intake, I may even up the protein intake a tad bit more for a week or two and see how my body seems to like that. So far my body is in a very anabolic state and I feel better than ever. I'm loving it!

patnshan
09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
This amount of protein is not necessary and is wasting your money and taxing your liver. .

Protein doesn't "tax your liver".

coconuttree2009
09-11-2013, 06:05 AM
1.) I don't eat that much tuna every day, 6 of the small cans will usually last me two weeks.
2.) I've tried different ratios of C/F/P and so far HIGH protein is giving me the best results.
3.) Agreed! I'm going to start adding flax oil to my first and last shakes, maybe even some avocado.

I stopped calorie counting a while back when I realized that with the way I'm eating it wasn't making much difference, I just track protein and make sure I'm eating plenty of fruits, nuts, and veggies too. I didn't add the veggies in the above but I'm constantly snacking on veggies throughout the day... Baby carrots, celery, broccoli, and so on, all raw and probably a total of about 3-4 cups worth. I also usually add 1/3 cup oatmeal to my shakes but I was out yesterday. I'd say I'm probably close to a 60/30/10 ratio as of right now.

The whey I use is Optimum Nutrition's "100% Whey Gold Standard".

Your gas problem is very likely to be from the raw veg - a lot of people cannot digest raw veg very well especially broccoli.

That is not to say that your extra high protein consumption is doing you any favours.

PenixBowties
09-12-2013, 12:18 AM
Raw veggies have never been a problem for me, the only thing that changed before the gas started was the amount of protein I was taking in. But today, again I upped my water intake and the gas is basically gone. Sure, the occasional emission still takes place but it's now within normal levels, both in volume and "lethality" haha Today was an off day and I've consumed 1.5 gal up till this point. No issues today at all, so it looks like more water really was the fix I was looking for :)

AlwaysTryin
09-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Raw veggies have never been a problem for me, the only thing that changed before the gas started was the amount of protein I was taking in. But today, again I upped my water intake and the gas is basically gone. Sure, the occasional emission still takes place but it's now within normal levels, both in volume and "lethality" haha Today was an off day and I've consumed 1.5 gal up till this point. No issues today at all, so it looks like more water really was the fix I was looking for :)

Are you sure it's not just you? I've never had any problem

Hitter52
10-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Protein doesn't "tax your liver".

To much does ... your liver is what seperates nitrogen from protein. When you take in too much this can for sure be taxing on your liver.

Hitter52
10-29-2013, 11:48 AM
This amount of protein is not necessary and is wasting your money and taxing your liver. Based off looking at your diet your not getting a lot of carbs either, which when you do this it stops the protein from doing its job. Your body has to seperate the nitrogen from the protein and this is especially hard on your liver when you are taken in that much protein. Carbs is your bodys main source of energy and when you cut that off and take in that much protein your body will just say screw you your not giving me carbs ill just use this protein for energy instead of building muscle. You need to figure out your macros and balance your fats proteins and carbs.

HAHA completely ignore i read your post wrong.

Domicron
10-29-2013, 11:57 AM
you eat 6 'meals' a day and 4 of them are protein shakes...

blending your shakes is probably adding in a lot of air into your drink.

stop drinking so much powder, replace supplements with whole food, chew thoroughly...hopefully you can reduce your gas

Mrpb
10-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Considering the rate at which I'm gaining muscle and losing fat with this level of protein intake, I'll keep up what I'm doing...

Do you mean you lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? How many calories are you consuming? What is your TDEE?

To answer your question: If I would consume that much whey and dairy I'd be farting 24 hours a day.

tastan
10-29-2013, 01:03 PM
From time to time I run a cycle of probiotics. You can find them at any store. Run a month cycle and see if that helps. It helps me, but again I run a month and then take time off.

WMLifting
10-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Considering the rate at which I'm gaining muscle and losing fat with this level of protein intake, I'll keep up what I'm doing... Unless it's your first couple of months lifting, then I highly doubt this is true. Are you losing weight, maintaining, losing?
Even for a teenager recomps can be long and results can be very minimal.