PDA

View Full Version : Calculate caloric intake if sticky isn't accurate to you

BoltOnAnd
09-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Hey guys, I lost weight in my first week of my supposed bulk. Not a whole lot. 0.2 pounds. But I guess I'm eating slightly below my current maintenance with 2300 calories.

Is there a way to calculate at what surpluss I would have to eat to gain half a pound per week based on that? I decided to bump it up to 2600, but that might be my maintenance? If so, I guess I should try 3000 calories but I'm not sure.

I could just eat at 2600 for another week and then add calories again if I still haven't gained, but I'd like to speed the process up a little if possible.

necon76
09-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Trial & error works better than any calculator. Just make a call on whether or not you want to bump calories now & go with it.

AlwaysTryin
09-09-2013, 12:22 AM
The sticky is only an estimate for everyone

BoltOnAnd
09-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Trial & error works better than any calculator. Just make a call on whether or not you want to bump calories now & go with it.

Yeah, I guess I'll just bump it up by 10% until I'm getting the desired weekly gains. I'll assume I'm eating at 90% now.

The sticky is only an estimate for everyone

I know this. And the estimate was off for me, so I was wondering if there was a way to calculate it based on my progress. I'm guessing you don't know or there just isn't one

AlwaysTryin
09-09-2013, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I guess I'll just bump it up by 10% until I'm getting the desired weekly gains. I'll assume I'm eating at 90% now.

I know this. And the estimate was off for me, so I was wondering if there was a way to calculate it based on my progress. I'm guessing you don't know or there just isn't one

Notsureifsrs

The point is to get an estimate and then adjust based on results

BoltOnAnd
09-09-2013, 12:48 AM
I've calculated it multiple times in the past and it was always in the ballpark. It was surprisingly accurate when I was cutting, and with gaining I was always fairly close (sometimes slightly lower or higher, but decent enough).

This time, I was wondering if I could take out the guess work a little and calculate based on results because I don't want to spend half of my first bulking cycle wondering if I'm even getting the calories I need. If you don't have an answer you're completely positive of, go away. Or, if you can't drop this silly internet-posturing, you can go away too.

No need to repeat yourself a third time for something I read in the sticky first go-around and clearly had knowledge of as written in my post. Maybe you should read my post first before trying to be a smartass.

MetilHed
09-09-2013, 01:45 AM
I've calculated it multiple times in the past and it was always in the ballpark. It was surprisingly accurate when I was cutting, and with gaining I was always fairly close (sometimes slightly lower or higher, but decent enough).

This time, I was wondering if I could take out the guess work a little and calculate based on results because I don't want to spend half of my first bulking cycle wondering if I'm even getting the calories I need. If you don't have an answer you're completely positive of, go away. Or, if you can't drop this silly internet-posturing, you can go away too.

No need to repeat yourself a third time for something I read in the sticky first go-around and clearly had knowledge of as written in my post. Maybe you should read my post first before trying to be a smartass.

You clearly didn't (and still don't) have that knowledge. It is an estimate for everyone. Everyone will likely have to adjust every time. You are supposed to calculate based on results.

As stated in your OP, you think you're eating slightly below maintenance, since you lost .2 lb. .2 lb is not even enough to suggest you're eating under maintenance. whatever cals you ate to get those results are maintenance. .2 lb could be half a glass of water, FFS. or a single piece of pizza. Or one turd that didn't come out the last time you took a dump.

Now you have your maintenance, champ !