PDA

View Full Version : Your experience with calorie cycling and intermittent fasting?

Amelia1987
09-08-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm a newbie female with only four weeks lifting (Starting strength) and 37% body fat. And I was wondering...

Has intemittent fasting combined with carb cycling worked for you? I want to lose body fat while gaining some muscle and I'm thinking about doing this.

Also if there are any females that have had success with this let me know. Im guessing this way of eating works better for the males (jelly).

ironwill2008
09-08-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm a newbie female with only four weeks lifting (Starting strength) and 37% body fat. And I was wondering...

Has intemittent fasting combined with carb cycling worked for you? I want to lose body fat while gaining some muscle and I'm thinking about doing this.

Also if there are any females that have had success with this let me know. Im guessing this way of eating works better for the males (jelly).

Beginners don't need "carb cycling." IF is merely an eating schedule; it has no special advantage over simply eating when you're hungry. If you feel IF fits your RL schedule, give it a go.

Amelia1987
09-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Thank you!

Would you recommend I focus on muscle gain or fat loss first? I read it is easier to it gain muscle first then lose fat but I'm paranoid of gaining more body fat. But its seems more of a hassle to lose the bf % I want then gain muscle and body fat...and then cut bf again...I think I just answered my own question..

Jlopes8520
09-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Thank you!

Would you recommend I focus on muscle gain or fat loss first? I read it is easier to it gain muscle first then lose fat but I'm paranoid of gaining more body fat. But its seems more of a hassle to lose the bf % I want then gain muscle and body fat...and then cut bf again...I think I just answered my own question..

I would recommend focusing on fat loss by figuring out what your TEE is, then doing something like a 20-25% caloric deficit. I Always cut, then bulk...at least IMO! Check out some of the stickies for figuring your caloric needs and cut a percentage from there. Combine that with a good exercise routine and you should be golden.

Good luck on your quest!!

Jlopes8520
09-09-2013, 04:50 PM

I've had success with meal timing, in that I stop eating/consuming anything but water after 6pm. And do not eat anything until after 8am. This allows me to lose weight overnight and I don't have to worry about being hungry because most of that time I am asleep.

InItForFitness
09-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Always cut, then bulk...at least IMO!

Be careful with recommendations like these.
You'll get some skinny-fat, sub 160/170lber reading it and cutting down to 6% bf with no muscle mass underneath and looking like an idiot.

However OP, in your case you would most likely benefit from a cut first at your current stats as suggested.

Jlopes8520
09-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Be careful with recommendations like these.
You'll get some skinny-fat, sub 160/170lber reading it and cutting down to 6% bf with no muscle mass underneath and looking like an idiot.

However OP, in your case you would most likely benefit from a cut first at your current stats as suggested.

Agreed, that was supposed to say "I" always cut, then bulk. One letter makes all the difference in this case. Adjusted...

ironwill2008
09-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Thank you!

As a beginner, you can make progress in both directions. Figure your maintenance calorie level, then eat at a slight deficit as you train on a beginner bodybuilding program. Here's one of the better ones:

Beginner bodybuilding program:
*Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly:
http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

dailob
09-10-2013, 06:16 AM
i can't remember where i read in lyle mcdonald's website but generally, you'll come across people who will tell you that you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time - except for newbie beginners, which i assume you are?

enjoy the noob gains, but after they stop, you'll have to decide based on your TDEE what you want to do.

SSM12
09-10-2013, 07:43 AM
I don't carb cycle because I run a lot and play ice hockey, but I do IF.

Basically, I LOVE it. It makes it a lot easier for me to stick to my cut. It is hard to get used to at first, but if you drink plenty of water over the course of the day you will stay full, and by the time you hit your eating window(if it is at dinner, mine is), you will be hungry. It also keeps me from snacking too. I get all my allotted calories to hit my Macros in one sitting, so I am legit full, I don't get boredom cravings or any of that nonsense.

the first few days are a little rough, but afterwards it becomes easier.

My schedule typically consists of(depending on the day)

Wake up - work out
ON Gold Standard after workout(this will be the only calories I take in until my eating window)
Water over the course of the day
6-10pm eating window.(eat my "dinner)

After 10pm, I wont EAT anything until 6-10pm the next day.

Amelia1987
09-12-2013, 09:30 PM
As a beginner, you can make progress in both directions. Figure your maintenance calorie level, then eat at a slight deficit as you train on a beginner bodybuilding program. Here's one of the better ones:

Beginner bodybuilding program:
*Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly:
http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

I am doing the starting strength novice program. I'm in my fifth week. I read the book to learn proper form. My form isn't perfect but I'm always tweaking it to improve.

Thank you for the info!

Amelia1987
09-12-2013, 09:51 PM
I don't carb cycle because I run a lot and play ice hockey, but I do IF.

Basically, I LOVE it. It makes it a lot easier for me to stick to my cut. It is hard to get used to at first, but if you drink plenty of water over the course of the day you will stay full, and by the time you hit your eating window(if it is at dinner, mine is), you will be hungry. It also keeps me from snacking too. I get all my allotted calories to hit my Macros in one sitting, so I am legit full, I don't get boredom cravings or any of that nonsense.

the first few days are a little rough, but afterwards it becomes easier.

My schedule typically consists of(depending on the day)

Wake up - work out
ON Gold Standard after workout(this will be the only calories I take in until my eating window)
Water over the course of the day
6-10pm eating window.(eat my "dinner)

After 10pm, I wont EAT anything until 6-10pm the next day.

Wow, that's a small window! I was thinking, for me, to eat from 10:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. only. that would be easier for a beginner like myself. I also snack a lot. I feel IF would help me with that a lot.

To all, I made a mistake in my original post. I meant caloric cycling, not carb. Like if I only lifted 3x/week at 9 am, on those days I would eat whatever i wanted (caloric surplus to gain muscle) from 10 am to 6 as long as i met my macros. Then on off days I would eat much less (caloric deficit) to lose fat on those days. I don't know how successful this would be. And I was wondering if anybody here had tried it and were successful in losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. I should've been clearer! >_<

AAOBob
09-12-2013, 09:56 PM
You don't need to do that. Once you get near your goal weight it might be useful but right now you will just slow down your cut.

As for the window, pick what works for you. Today I "IFed" yesterday I did not. Its just what works for you.

dennis727
09-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Wow, that's a small window! I was thinking, for me, to eat from 10:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. only. that would be easier for a beginner like myself. I also snack a lot. I feel IF would help me with that a lot.

To all, I made a mistake in my original post. I meant caloric cycling, not carb. Like if I only lifted 3x/week at 9 am, on those days I would eat whatever i wanted (caloric surplus to gain muscle) from 10 am to 6 as long as i met my macros. Then on off days I would eat much less (caloric deficit) to lose fat on those days. I don't know how successful this would be. And I was wondering if anybody here had tried it and were successful in losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. I should've been clearer! >_<

"Then on off days I would eat much less (caloric deficit) to lose fat on those days." Your body doesn't work that way. It doesn't build and lose muscle in one day. Think more in the range of 24, 48, 72, etc.

"I feel IF would help me with that a lot." You will still gain weight if you're above you maintenance calories. It doesn't matter if you're on IF, EF, OF

"on those days I would eat whatever i wanted" Just make sure you hit your caloric goals for that day AND your micronutrients as well

Jlopes8520
09-13-2013, 05:11 AM
"Then on off days I would eat much less (caloric deficit) to lose fat on those days." Your body doesn't work that way. It doesn't build and lose muscle in one day. Think more in the range of 24, 48, 72, etc.

"I feel IF would help me with that a lot." You will still gain weight if you're above you maintenance calories. It doesn't matter if you're on IF, EF, OF

"on those days I would eat whatever i wanted" Just make sure you hit your caloric goals for that day AND your micronutrients as well

Agreed...